PDA

View Full Version : Are there any good solo training DVDs?

Big One
4/22/2010 9:53am,
This is my first post so...Hi

Let me tell you something about me:

I trained for close to 3 years in Ninjutsu
(Yes, I know. It was not Bujinkan but a sideline that split from Bujinkan about 20 years ago because they decided there was too much bullshit coming from Hatsumi so what I did was not totaly useless. Stil, about 50% of what I learned was way to slow to ever work. The other 50% however were solid and included sparring. So count those 3 years as 1 year of BJJ and half a year of kickboxing)
I trained another 6 months in Wing Chun
Then I started training in Krav Maga but had to stop due to a wrist injury.

Now, 3 years, 4 doctors and 1 operation later I can train again but I had to move in the meantime and there are no schools for anything that interests me in the area.
But I still have gloves and a good heavy bag and am in good physical shape. Because I have not done much martial arts training since the wrist healed I do not know how hard I can go and do not want to go looking for training partners online before I know how far I can push it.

So now I am looking for something that I can train solo from books or DVDs to regain some of the power and precission I had 3 years ago and then improve on that and maybe learn a couple of new moves.

I came here because "No Bullshit" is exactly what I am looking for. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

MastaFighta
4/22/2010 10:13am,
Post your location and the bullies will point you in the right direction.

henshinx
4/22/2010 10:20am,
YouTube- ShinKyokushin Instuction vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CjiYmOvGBQ)

Kintanon
4/22/2010 10:21am,
Solo training won't do much for you. Without someone to correct your form when you do things wrong and someone to apply the techniques against you will make no progress, or potentially get worse due to practicing things incorrectly.
It is highly recommended that you do everything in your power to find a qualified instructor first before resorting to any kind of self directed solo training.

Big One
4/22/2010 10:36am,
Post your location and the bullies will point you in the right direction.
B÷blingen, near Stuttgart. Germany.
I have tried both Wing Chun schools in town and the Krav maga school here is restricted to US army personel, as is the next one in Vaihingen.
I have no car.
Believe me, I've looked while I was still down after the wrist operation and there is nothing here.

Solo training won't do much for you. Without someone to correct your form when you do things wrong and someone to apply the techniques against you will make no progress, or potentially get worse due to practicing things incorrectly.
It is highly recommended that you do everything in your power to find a qualified instructor first before resorting to any kind of self directed solo training.
I know you are right. I have always been against training DVDs or books but I am really desperate and not completly clueless. And I do not want to learn anything completly new or fancy.
It's more about spicing up the regular heavy bag routines and finding some regulated work out regiment to keep me motivated.
I'll be moving away in a year and just want something to do until then.

Kintanon
4/22/2010 11:11am,
In that case some different workout routines may be what you are after as opposed to DVD based training. Some of the more advanced striking folks may have some things to offer you there.

Big One
4/22/2010 11:13am,
In that case some different workout routines may be what you are after as opposed to DVD based training. Some of the more advanced striking folks may have some things to offer you there.

Thanks for the idea. I'll check over there and see if I find some threads.

But if anybody has additional ideas or hints, post them. All help is appreciated.

thevilgerman
4/22/2010 1:33pm,
I do not know if you already know about it, or if links to other fora are okay, but there is a huge German martial arts forum which might be a better way to find a gym/school or a training buddy in Germany. -Just a thought-