PDA

View Full Version : Working out & Unable to sleep

Pages : [1] 2

badacid
4/14/2010 2:00pm,
Hello,

I recently started training again and am very out of shape. Yesterday I went through a grappling class & part of a boxing class.

I was dead tired - Not broken but bent pretty far.

Last Night I couldn't sleep - it felt as if my muscles were radiating heat and I couldn't get comfortable.

I was tired and trying to sleep, but it felt as if a very small voltage was going through my body - just reminding me that I worked out harder than normal.

Anyone else experience this? Or know of why this happens?

Thanks!

Kintanon
4/14/2010 2:03pm,
Drink more water, and take a hot shower before you go to bed.

pauli
4/14/2010 2:16pm,
or a cool one - sounds like your muscles were more inflamed than simply sore.

and some ibuprofen.

Snake Plissken
4/14/2010 2:17pm,
I would say at least one-half of the time I get home from training, I am all jacked-up.
What helps me is to have a routine.

I get home and if there was anything that I really, really needed to go over in my mind or physically work out, I do it right when I get home. This is, for my, always my worst enemy:
having my mind replay scenarios when I am trying to unwind and get to sleep.

After that, I take a nice long hot shower and put on some fresh clothes, physically and mentally putting aside what I just did.

Then I eat. I cannot eat closer then two hours before training. That, coupled with my pretty much going right from work to training, means I eat after. Yeah, there is negatives to eating that late but this is what works for me and this is my *routine*. This is what my body is accustomed to.

After that, I sit and start watching one of my many unwatched blu-rays while I sip a cup of Chai Tea or coffee and continue to follow the routine of physically and mentally unwinding.

Again, this might not work for you, but if you build, develop and follow a routine, your body and mind will create the differentiation between training ready and rest ready.

tao.jonez
4/14/2010 3:04pm,
I get the same thing if I over-do it too late in the evening / close to bed. I get restless, hot, and basically feel wide awake.

The best thing I've found is to work out earlier so I don't have the post-workout thing. That not being an option, I'll take a hot shower then let the water run cool for a few mins, then hot again.

Definitely drink plenty of water afterwards, and you might try a cup of chamomile tea as well. Hippie-ish, but it works for me.

MartialSchools
4/14/2010 4:59pm,
What helps me is to have a routine.

Ditto! Get your body into a rhythm and a sleeping pattern. Maybe try these tips from Steve Pavlina (http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2007/10/how-to-wake-up-feeling-totally-alert/).... worked for me.

ginap
4/21/2010 4:23pm,
This has happened to me time and time again when I stop training for more than two months. I get what I think is "restless" leg syndrome and am up half the night trying to calm my muscles down. I do find Aleve very helpful; ibuprofen, etc. does not work. A few days ago a friend gave me half of her Ambien - THAT worked, but of course that is Rx and not something I want to rely on...

Kentucky Fried Chokin
4/21/2010 4:28pm,
Try the recommendations above, but if they don't work try this:

I get that too, and for me, it's a magnesium deficency. Hard training can deplete your body's magnesium, which in turn makes it hard to sleep. I recommend picking up some ZMA (Zinc Magnesium Aspartate) and seeing if that helps. I had insomnia for years after I started lifting weights and nothing helped until I started taking magnesium. Magnesium is the most common mineral deficency (zinc in #2).

Get ZMA or a form of chelated magnesium, don't just get that cheap **** at the drug store (magnesium oxide) that won't do anything. ZMA is cheap and effective.

atom
4/22/2010 9:15am,
Burning through your stores of carbs can lead to a stress response. Elevated cortisol leads to restlessness and insomnia.

Refuel post workout. Intense training is not the time to try to lose weight.

If this happens well into a training regimen it is often the first sign of overtraining. First couple of workouts in a while and you may basically be overtraining as your body isn't used to recovering yet.

tao.jonez
4/22/2010 9:56am,
Burning through your stores of carbs can lead to a stress response. Elevated cortisol leads to restlessness and insomnia.

Refuel post workout. Intense training is not the time to try to lose weight.

If this happens well into a training regimen it is often the first sign of overtraining. First couple of workouts in a while and you may basically be overtraining as your body isn't used to recovering yet.

Got any links / studies on this? I tend to get this insomnia/overtraining thing on really intense training days, particularly the late evening + high cardio workouts. What I'm really after is some scientific advice on what to eat and how to refuel after.
I'm doing the muscle relaxation stuff and re-hydrating; maybe the right food would help more.

Eddie Hardon
4/22/2010 10:34am,
Hello,

I recently started training again and am very out of shape. Yesterday I went through a grappling class & part of a boxing class.

I was dead tired - Not broken but bent pretty far.

Last Night I couldn't sleep - it felt as if my muscles were radiating heat and I couldn't get comfortable.

I was tired and trying to sleep, but it felt as if a very small voltage was going through my body - just reminding me that I worked out harder than normal.

Anyone else experience this? Or know of why this happens?

Thanks!

Do you Warm Down & Stretch? This allows the Lactic Acid etc to clear and as you've been working the muscles, the stretching assists this process and takes out the knots etc. It also helps prevent Delayed (Onset) Muscle Stress/Strain.

Without a Stretch element, you tend to find that the muscles will feel sorer and the chemicals/waste will be trapped ('cos muscles shorten after workouts) and will antagonise you until they are cleared. Well, that's my past experience.

Snake Plissken
4/22/2010 11:21am,
Do you Warm Down & Stretch? This allows the Lactic Acid etc to clear and as you've been working the muscles, the stretching assists this process and takes out the knots etc. It also helps prevent Delayed (Onset) Muscle Stress/Strain.

Without a Stretch element, you tend to find that the muscles will feel sorer and the chemicals/waste will be trapped ('cos muscles shorten after workouts) and will antagonise you until they are cleared. Well, that's my past experience.
Good call.
Tying into this from personal experience, I am more likely to get woken up with the nightime "charley horse" after training and when I don't ensure I get some potassium in me.
There are tons of BETTER things out there, but I always have a Revive Vitamin Water on the drive home.

atom
4/22/2010 7:34pm,
here's a couple articles on carbs/cortisol/overtraining:

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/overtraining.html

http://www.thepumpingstation.com/overtraining.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining

Farm the citations if you want the scholarly stuff or google.

Mr.Miyagi
4/23/2010 12:02am,
I find a simple over the counter sleep aid helps for me at times like this. Ingredient: Doxylamine...a sedating antihistamine.

Routine will always win, and everything else is just added sides to make it easier.

Eddie Hardon
4/23/2010 6:48am,
here's a couple articles on carbs/cortisol/overtraining:

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/overtraining.html

http://www.thepumpingstation.com/overtraining.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining

Farm the citations if you want the scholarly stuff or google.

Excellent stuff. Thanks for posting (I recognised all the symptoms).

Cheers

badacid
4/26/2010 12:22pm,
Sorry for the lack of response - Thank you everyone for your input and advice. I'm trying to fuse a couple things together - Routine, Stretching, Fuel.

It seems to be working as I find myself going to sleep easier.

Thanks again!