PDA

View Full Version : Muscular imbalance?

Pages : [1] 2

Kickapoo
4/14/2010 11:06am,
So, I was finally examining myself after three odd weeks of being on Stronglifts (started over due to personal issues) when I noticed something.

That something is 'holy fuckall why is my torso so fucked up?'.

From the front, my right lat is giant compared to my left. From the back, one of the muscles on my back (I think it's the low part of my trapezius but I'm not sure) is a lot more noticeable on my left. I have photos I can post if that would help.

But what would cause this? An error in form? Several errors in form? Simply me being right hand dominant? Any ideas?

MMAMickey
4/14/2010 11:26am,
probably an error in form, but you might just be asymmetrical.. everybody is to some degree.

pay attention to your form when doing the exercises, your stonger side will probably always have at least a very slight size advantage but it shouldn't be so extreme

EDIT: I've also noticed that boxing does lead to slight aesthetic differences in muscle build, the abs on my left side are slightly more defined and my left trap is a different shape, probably from holding up my lead hand.. depending on how hard and often you box this may be partially accountable

Emevas
4/14/2010 3:26pm,
Do you use a mixed grip when you deadlift?

MMAMickey
4/14/2010 3:49pm,

does this make a difference? For the sake of 'just in case' I alternate the hands

Kickapoo
4/14/2010 4:25pm,

Yes, and I switch every time I deadlift.

Emevas
4/14/2010 4:41pm,
does this make a difference? For the sake of 'just in case' I alternate the hands

It does make a difference if you don't switch the hands.

Pictures would help.

Kickapoo
4/14/2010 4:54pm,
It does make a difference if you don't switch the hands.

Pictures would help.

Maybe I'm an idiot. I upload the photos as attachments...then what? Also, I can't find the frontal post-workout photos and the effect is a lot more noticeable there. I have the back photo however.

Emevas
4/14/2010 5:10pm,
I just upload them to photobucket and post the url as

url

Kickapoo
4/14/2010 5:22pm,
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx198/K1CK4P00/GetAttachment.jpg

Hope that worked.

Emevas
4/14/2010 5:27pm,
The issue appears more that you're raising one arm more than the other when you flex. You also appear to be tilted more towards the camera on one side.

If it's a big concern, just make a mental focus of recruiting the left lat more on pull-ups.

Kickapoo
4/14/2010 5:33pm,
The issue appears more that you're raising one arm more than the other when you flex. You also appear to be tilted more towards the camera on one side.

If it's a big concern, just make a mental focus of recruiting the left lat more on pull-ups.

Thanks. If you don't think it'll impede my strength I don't particularly care. The leaning may be my friend's photography skills, I'm not too sure.

jspeedy
4/14/2010 5:36pm,
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx198/K1CK4P00/GetAttachment.jpg

Hope that worked.
Have you considered lighting conditions as a factor? If you always look in the same mirror with the same lightsource some muscles on one side may just look more defined due to the way the light hits you. I've kind of noticed this effect with all the macho posing that I do in mirrors around my house.

Kickapoo
4/14/2010 5:40pm,
Have you considered lighting conditions as a factor? If you always look in the same mirror with the same lightsource some muscles on one side may just look more defined due to the way the light hits you. I've kind of noticed this effect with all the macho posing that I do in mirrors around my house.

The only weird thing I've noticed is that in that lighting I always look like I have a six pack (obviously if I have a date I refuse to take my shirt off anywhere but there). But being that the light is coming from one side I won't rule it out. My friend whom I lift with said he could barely notice it, so who knows.

alex
4/14/2010 6:05pm,
youre a fag for asking your lifting friend.

lighting bro. youre obsessing and that pic looks like you designed it to be skewed.

Kickapoo
4/14/2010 6:12pm,
youre a fag for asking your lifting friend.

lighting bro. youre obsessing and that pic looks like you designed it to be skewed.

So I'm sure this is going to get me a lot of '[email protected]' but I just remembered, guess what? I have mild scoliosis. I forgot because I don't get my spine checked since I got out of grade school. Apparently as a kid I carried my backpack on one shoulder and it farked my spine.

Would that be causing this? Not the fact I appear tilted and one shoulder is higher then the other (I know that's because of my awesome spine), but the muscular imbalance.

I can't believe I didn't remember this til I read the word 'skewed'. Fack.

Emevas
4/14/2010 6:23pm,
Yeah, that'll have an impact.