PDA

View Full Version : Question about instructional videos and books.

Xenvu
2/17/2004 10:42pm,
I recentley cleared out a section in my basement and put some mats down and am looking to start training in BJJ. Now here's the problem, there are no schools in the general area and I can't really find the time to drive 50 miles to the nearest one. Is it at all possible to become decent at BJJ by watching instuctional tapes? My brother is as into it as I am and he could serve as a training partner but I know its best to have multiple partners and an instructor to show you what you are doing wrong. What do you guys think? Do you know of any good tapes or books to start reading and do you recommend a gi or no gi? Is this even worth doing? My only martial arts background is Hapkido and I feel so helpless knowing only Hapkido as I would get destroyed in a real fight.

Thanks

JohnnyS
2/17/2004 10:52pm,
Although I might get flamed for this, I would suggest Rorion Gracie's Basics tape set. It's been a long time since I've watched it but from what I can remember it's set out in an ordered fashion that will help you get down the basics properly. Don't skip the basics either. Too many people buy advanced video sets and can't pull off the techniques because they don't get their basics right first.

I'm not sure of any other instructionals out there, except for John Will's book BJJ Fundamentals which I would also highly recommend. It's set out for a complete beginner and goes through the basic positions, how to pass guard, how to get side control, mount etc. It covers the transitions for these techniques and also has some drills. Position is more important than submission and this book covers how to move from position to position, how to keep the position and the basic submissions from these positions.
Check it out at http://www.bjj.com.au/shop.htm

Jenfucius
2/17/2004 10:52pm,
xenvu's basement: the bathhouse of the new millenium.

yes, having "multiple partners" is key, just make sure you practice "safe BJJ"!

katana
2/17/2004 11:05pm,
Drive 50 miles to go to the BJJ school with your brother. Then you and your brother can train in the off-time in your basement together. You'd be much better going to the school once a week (or even month) and some seminars every now and then versus just using tapes. I like tapes quite a bit and own several, but I think you really need to feel each technique from someone who knows how to do it and can show you directly when you're doing it wrong. At a minimum, you should learn the basics from a teacher as your foundation so at least you know what people on the tapes are referring to when discussing movement.

Lastly, learn with your Gi on first. No-gi is fun but the Gi really makes you concentrate on what you're doing in both offense and defense (because it gives you certain advantages and disadvantages). I was tempted to jump right into no-gi in the beginning but the experienced people I spoke with all recommended against it and I think I'm doing better for taking that advice. Needless to say, we do no-gi training at least once a week, but most of our training is in Gi.

Xenvu
2/18/2004 2:31am,
After some thought i've decided to give the school a try. Its quite expensive but its my only shot. here is the link http://www.bjjonline.com/ looks like a pretty nice school. Hope its worth its price.

Thanks.

blankslate
2/18/2004 10:44am,
I bet you could take Judo for cheap and then use the BJJ tapes as a supplement. What does everyone else think?

Gremlin
2/18/2004 1:00pm,
I think I'm hungry....OH you mean about your idea? It's ok. He'll have to cros train eventually.

FingerorMoon?
2/18/2004 8:05pm,
I'm not sure of any other instructionals out there, except for John Will's book BJJ Fundamentals which I would also highly recommend. It's set out for a complete beginner and goes through the basic positions, how to pass guard, how to get side control, mount etc. It covers the transitions for these techniques and also has some drills. Position is more important than submission and this book covers how to move from position to position, how to keep the position and the basic submissions from these positions.
Check it out at http://www.bjj.com.au/shop.htm

I want to buy the fundamentals book.
Can you only order online or do Dominance sell direct ?

(eh, someone might want to point out that the ordering info for US buyers 'about 50% of price' is now way off. Could have some annoyed US customers if they believe that....)

Zenman
2/18/2004 8:14pm,
My only martial arts background is Hapkido and I feel so helpless knowing only Hapkido as I would get destroyed in a real fight.

Who the hell taught you Hapkido? Did you miss all the ground work?

JohnnyS
2/18/2004 8:33pm,
I think there might be some books at the club for sale so just come in after 6pm any night Monday to Friday or on Saturday morning and you should be able to pick one up. I think Jols in Northcote sell them too.

Xenvu
2/18/2004 8:50pm,
Originally posted by Zenman
Who the hell taught you Hapkido? Did you miss all the ground work?

Was only 7 when I took it so its shady right now. I made it to red belt but quit cause my parents couldnt afford it anymore. I remember how to kick and punch though :)

chaosexmachina
2/18/2004 9:21pm,
Mastering Jujitsu (Renzo Gracie) and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Theory & Technique (Renzo and Royler Gracie) are very good, and I recommend them to the highest degree. Mastering really works on the basics, and Theory & Tech is just a great supplement.

FingerorMoon?
2/18/2004 10:08pm,
JohnnyS:
I think there might be some books at the club for sale so just come in after 6pm any night Monday to Friday or on Saturday morning and you should be able to pick one up. I think Jols in Northcote sell them too.

Thanks!

milwaukee cop
2/18/2004 10:18pm,
y'know, wether you and your brother work out with the tapes or you take lessons, you are at least being proactive with your goals.