PDA

View Full Version : Advice on looking for physical therapist?

variance
4/02/2010 8:10pm,
I'm looking for a physical therapist to mainly help with severe pronation and on my right foot which has affected my posture and shoulder/hip coordination as well help me get back to proper body mechanics/muscle memory as well help me with targeted stretches to stretching my over-developed calve muscles. the one on my right is super tight.

I've already seen a podiatric surgeon who's given me some inserts to put in my normal shoes. and going to evaluate me again in a few months. If I can correct the bad habits to reverse the degradation of tendons that would occur over next 5 or 10 years. I can avoid surgery.

The same when I went to GP. got x-rays and MRIs on my shoulder and apparently my sometimes clumsyness, overdominance on one side and my shoulder falling out all come down to severe pronation (flexible flat foot) on my right side.

so far over last 4 or 5 months paid alot of attention to my posture when i drive, stand, walk, sit, use the computer. but wish I could target the specific muscles or motions to get them trained faster.

so I'm wondering if any of ya'all with injuries similar or otherwise had recommandations or tips?

what kind of PT should I be looking for or will any do?
are there specialities or something.

jwinch2
4/02/2010 8:52pm,
http://www.evidenceinmotion.com/

I recommend seeking someone involved with this group or who does continuing education with them. Much of physical therapy is quackery but there are some who go out of their way to use research derived interventions and practice. The field as a whole is getting better but there are a still a ton of crappy PT's out there who have no clue as to the evidence behind what they are dealing with.

Good luck, I hope that helps.

kenikim
4/02/2010 9:39pm,
http://www.evidenceinmotion.com/

Much of physical therapy is quackery........

i totally agree with this. finding a good therapist is a big hit and miss, with a lot more misses than hits. it's dang right impossible to find one who is capable, knowledgeable, and passionate about what they do.

Gypsy Jazz
4/04/2010 6:19pm,
I'm surprised at the PT hate/dislike. Maybe I've been exceptionally lucky, but even in my experience of being in PT at least 5 times, I've only had one person who wasn't very good. Even so what they did was somewhat helpful.

I think one of the biggest issues is how you want to approach things. I've had someone too gentle for my tastes in terms of their approach of very slowly and cautiously ramping things up, and someone else who took a very agressive approach of constantly increasing weight/reps almost every session. I liked the latter approach way better, and found my results to be better as a consequence.

Call and ask if they specialize in anything before mentioning your problem issue, and see if you fall into that area. It's possible if your problems are far more every day that occupational therapy might be the way to go. Talk to a doctor you trust about this option.

Res Judicata
4/04/2010 11:22pm,
Ask your doctor. They usually know who the good ones are. My fiancée is a PT and that's what I've learned from her.

Sikaranista
4/15/2010 9:30pm,
Asking your doctor is a good start but that is not even a guarantee that you will find someone that can rehab your issue. I was in PT for months with back issues. It was a bloody waste of time, my back only got worse. The pain got to the point where my arranged for me to consult with an ortho-spine surgeon to discuss surgical options. I ended begging my chiro for an alternative, which is why I wore (and still wear) a weight vest a few days a week.

I don't hate PTs, nor am I trying to say that chiros pwn PTs. What I learned from this is that the most important thing you can do is put the effort in to actively, constantly, and aggressively manage your own rehab....whatever that rehab will be. Ask if they have treated the condition before. If they have, ask how they treated it and what were the results. Ask about the patients that had the same issues and didn't get better. Get hard numbers. How many patients have they treated successfully? How do they determine success? When the patient says they are at 100%, or when the insurance runs out?

If you do not feel you are getting the right rehab, look for and demand better. Do not take "it will get better soon" as an answer for not seeing improvement.