PDA

View Full Version : Lifting makes me crave sweet drinks

Pages : [1] 2

Lindz
3/30/2010 12:23am,
I probably drink too much sugar anyway, but after I finish lifting I have this massive craving for sugar in liquid form, like juice or iced tea usually. Is this indicative of anything or do I just need to tell my body to stfu?

TheRuss
3/30/2010 12:28am,
I'm not convinced that cravings are especially useful in terms of diagnosing dietary needs. That said, if you're not trying to cut weight, post-workout is a good time for some simple carbohydrates to refurbish your glycogen stores.

DAYoung
3/30/2010 12:30am,
I remember feeling like this after Judo. Intense cravings for Gatorade-type drinks...

Russ, if you're after carbs, is something like fruit juice any better than soft drinks or 'sports drinks'? And does high fructose corn syrup stuff help or hinder fitness?

Lindz
3/30/2010 12:32am,
I'm not convinced that cravings are especially useful in terms of diagnosing dietary needs. That said, if you're not trying to cut weight, post-workout is a good time for some simple carbohydrates to refurbish your glycogen stores.

So in your opinion it's probably ok?

TheRuss
3/30/2010 12:40am,
Russ, if you're after carbs, is something like fruit juice any better than soft drinks or 'sports drinks'? And does high fructose corn syrup stuff help or hinder fitness?

Right now, I'm of the opinion that carbs are carbs (fruit juice is not nearly as "healthy" as people tend to think), but fructose is the exception. It's metabolized differently, and if I understand correctly, that means it only restores liver glycogen, not muscular glycogen.

So in your opinion it's probably ok?

If you're not actively trying to cut fat, yeah, probably.

t3h d3adly
3/30/2010 8:43am,
I've heard L-glutamine cuts down your sweet cravings, is there any truth to this?

pauli
3/30/2010 8:45am,
this sounds like a job for chocolate milk.

PointyShinyBurn
3/30/2010 9:05am,
^This

honesty
3/30/2010 9:08am,
Bananas are your post work out friends

Though thinking about this, it could be a problem with fructose. Russ?

Kambei Shimada
3/30/2010 9:34am,
I usually crave Orange juice after lifting.

StTelemachus
3/30/2010 3:43pm,
Guinness. Dark beers are awesome after a lift. Read it in a Men'sHealth once.

Mind that they said one is good. Several would be counter productive I think.

Res Judicata
3/30/2010 4:00pm,
^This

Chocolate milk, indeed. Sugar and carbs.

You want to get some calories within about an hour after you work out. Helps massively with recovery.

TheRuss
3/30/2010 7:20pm,
I've heard L-glutamine cuts down your sweet cravings, is there any truth to this?

I'd imagine you heard this from someone who's trying to sell you glutamine.

Guinness. Dark beers are awesome after a lift. Read it in a Men'sHealth once.

Don't **** around in the PT forum.

Bananas are your post work out friends

Though thinking about this, it could be a problem with fructose. Russ?

According to the Canadian Nutrient File (http://webprod.hc-sc.gc.ca/cnf-fce/index-eng.jsp), raw bananas are about 50/25/25 starch*/glucose/fructose. Probably not an issue.

*is broken down to glucose

Lindz
3/31/2010 2:08am,

So you suggest that I fix my craving for something unhealthy by giving in to it?

honesty
3/31/2010 2:31am,
So you suggest that I fix my craving for something unhealthy by giving in to it?

Yep, as long as its not full of high fructose corn syrup, or carbonated you're all good.

After a workout you need carbs.

all_bs_here
3/31/2010 2:45am,
I get the same cravings after a workout but I am Hypoglycemic. I usually drink an Ensure and then have some fruit(apples or Bananas) and that usually does the trick. But what works for me might not work for you.

Have you ever had your glucose levels checked? I have always heard that cravings sometimes are your body's way of telling you your missing something.