PDA

View Full Version : Grip development for combat sports

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

King Sleepless
3/25/2010 4:30pm,
Oh yeah, I have an excellent grip and have one of those. I also use a gyroscopic dynaflex ball, they are amazing.

Emevas
3/25/2010 4:53pm,
Oh yeah, I have an excellent grip and have one of those. I also use a gyroscopic dynaflex ball, they are amazing.

What number are you up to on the grippers?

Odacon
3/25/2010 5:20pm,
Shame on you Tripp, for labeling out Karate secrets like so much broth at a homeless shelter.

King Sleepless
3/25/2010 9:50pm,
What number are you up to on the grippers?

No idea. I just use whatever's available. I don't have that specific one. I have an old one that my dad gave me from the 90's. The dynaflex ball I can use for about 30 minutes though before I have to switch hands.

Emevas
3/26/2010 7:19am,
No idea. I just use whatever's available. I don't have that specific one. I have an old one that my dad gave me from the 90's. The dynaflex ball I can use for about 30 minutes though before I have to switch hands.

Yeah, sporting goods store grippers are ****. I reccomend the Captains of Crush grippers because they're insanely more difficult. If you build up to the 2, you'll have a grip very few people on the planet can break. Only 5 people on earth can close the 4.

Res Judicata
3/26/2010 9:59am,
Not to derail this into a PT thread, but towel/gi chins and wrist rollers also are good grip tools. Dirt cheap too. You're kind of light so you should be able to do the towel chins easily.

I agree that the CoC grippers are awesome. (And was just inspired to order a #2).

Don't just train grip endurance -- you want a strong crushing grip too as Emevas implied (your hand has several different gripping functions that you can train). Closing a wimpy gripper or the ball 1000x won't do all you want.

King Sleepless
3/26/2010 1:24pm,
Yeah, sporting goods store grippers are ****. I reccomend the Captains of Crush grippers because they're insanely more difficult. If you build up to the 2, you'll have a grip very few people on the planet can break. Only 5 people on earth can close the 4.

Not to derail this into a PT thread, but towel/gi chins and wrist rollers also are good grip tools. Dirt cheap too. You're kind of light so you should be able to do the towel chins easily.

I agree that the CoC grippers are awesome. (And was just inspired to order a #2).

Don't just train grip endurance -- you want a strong crushing grip too as Emevas implied (your hand has several different gripping functions that you can train). Closing a wimpy gripper or the ball 1000x won't do all you want.

Thanks!

I'll check out the captains of crush. I have visions of me DESTROYING apples and little toddler's skulls now.

Emevas
3/26/2010 11:15pm,
Storytime: When I was in college and had recently worked up to closing the #2, my ROTC detachment decided to teach us self defense by having a local Shotokan guy teach us how to reverse punch and move back and forth in a straight line. He then decided he was going to show us how to defend against a deadly wrist grab, and wanted a big guy from the audience to grab his wrist. I was selected, and was told to get a "good grip"

I squeeze the everloving christ out of his wrist like it owed me money, at which point he attempted to break my grip by delivering hammerfists to my wrists. He did this for about a solid minute, while the audience remained silent, the only sound cutting through the awkward moment being his fist smacking my wrist. After this time, he says "You can let go if it's hurting, I don't want to break your wrist" and I said "I thought there was going to be some sort of trick"

I released my grip and saw the imprint of my fingers wrapped around his wrists practically burned into his skin.

The moral of this story: These grippers are awesome, and with it you will beat Shotokan.

Steve
3/26/2010 11:21pm,
The Captains of Crush grippers are awesome, I can nearly close the 2 (I have the full set), though I have been out of practice for quite awhile. The functional strength they build for everyday life activities is pretty sweet as well.

Emevas
3/26/2010 11:25pm,
The functional strength they build for everyday life activities is pretty sweet as well.

I was going to make a crack about functional strength, but instead I'll talk about how I was the only one in my office taking apart cubicle furniture without tools.

Steve
3/26/2010 11:37pm,
Lol, I know how "functional strength" is a buzz word in some circles. But truly, as a person that has to assemble/disassemble furniture on occasion and move large boxes that are of odd shapes, grip is invaluable.

Iainkelt
3/27/2010 1:24am,
Damnit...now I want to order those grip strengtheners too. I want to have an iron claw grip like Baron Von Raschke.

jnp
3/27/2010 2:06am,
This thread derail originated here: Judo grapplers. ANNOYING. NEED ideas and help. - No BS MMA and Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94948)

Emevas
3/27/2010 2:09am,
My bad

King Sleepless
3/27/2010 2:42am,
What's the actual needed psi of strength to close one of those things?

Emevas
3/27/2010 2:47am,
No idea. Unless you're a cyborg though, it shouldn't matter.

It has a "pound" listed to them, with the trainer being 100 and the 1 being like 140 or so, but the numbers don't really mean anything. The trainer is a MUST BUY, for even if you can close it easily when you get it, you'll use it as a warm-up gripper for your heavier work. From there, the 1 is necessary, and then eventually the 2. I wouldn't suggest getting the 1.5, as it's not necessary for closing the 2. After that though, the 2.5 is worthwhile.