PDA

View Full Version : Dojo Closed

V8Eater
3/24/2010 11:44am,
Hello,

I've been lurking here for a while, so I decided to just register and make an intro post to get rid of the messages.

I don't have anything terribly interesting to add, except possibly a recent experience with a dojo closing.

I had been taking kickboxing, kenpo and jujitsu at a Colorado dojo, but as I showed up one night I noticed that the dojo was particularly crowded. The owner had called everyone to come down to the school so that he could announce that he was $25,000 behind in rent and that he would be evicted the next day.

I enjoyed my training there and I met some good people.

I had paid several months in advance, as the dojo used contracts. Luckily my former instructor's instructor is a real class act and agreed to take any of us that had paid in advance into his school at no additional charge. So, I will at least get what I paid for. There are fewer classes available at the new school, but there are some skilled instructors and students. I've been getting great workouts and I have learned something new each class. While I was one of the better guys at sparring at my old dojo, I am somewhere towards the middle at the new school.

So, while the situation was less than ideal in many ways, it seems to have worked out for the best as I am now at what I think will be a better school for me and it even costs less.

KO'd N DOA
3/24/2010 12:39pm,
Welcome to Bullshido.

Was location a big factor in your chosing of the old dojo? With less classes are you going to run into problems with scheduling?

PizDoff
3/24/2010 12:43pm,
Good stuff, things seem to be working out.

We do have a review section here:
Reviews - No BS MMA and Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)

You should think about a school review to get your gym more exposure.

V8Eater
3/24/2010 1:38pm,
Welcome to Bullshido.

Was location a big factor in your chosing of the old dojo? With less classes are you going to run into problems with scheduling?

Thanks for the welcome.

Location was somewhat of a factor. It does seem like I will spend less time at the new school. Previously I'd go to a kickboxing class that focused on bag work, followed by either sparring or a group class. At the new school the classes are about 33% longer but there is really only 1 class per night. But that seems to be offset by good instruction and a high intensity level. At least that is my sense so far. However, with the reduced fees of the new school, it looks like I can afford to go to a Judo school as well, so if I am not getting enough contact hours I can seek some supplemental instruction.

V8Eater
3/24/2010 1:45pm,
Good stuff, things seem to be working out.

We do have a review section here:
Reviews - No BS MMA and Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)

You should think about a school review to get your gym more exposure.

Thanks for the suggestion. While exposure for the school probably wouldn't hurt, I am not sure I need the personal exposure. :-)

pauli
3/24/2010 1:49pm,
what? you mean you don't want to expose yourself on the internet?

welcome to bullshido!

i've occasionally pondered what i'd do if my dojo closed... it's not a happy thought. i'm glad you had a smooth transition.

2groggy
3/24/2010 10:09pm,
...I had paid several months in advance, as the dojo used contracts. Luckily my former instructor's instructor is a real class act and agreed to take any of us that had paid in advance into his school at no additional charge. So, I will at least get what I paid for...

It's the acts of integrity like that that keep renewing my faith in martial arts and fighting arts. I once had a sensei that would never take more that a month's payment in advance, so that if the business failed, nobody would get stung.

His club did get closed down a few years back. But I hear that he is opening a new one soon. I look forward to training with him again.