PDA

View Full Version : Cage Rage 5 (The Valentine's Brawl) Results and spoiler

Beavis
2/16/2004 6:52am,
In case anyone's interested, here's my retrospective take on how it went down.

This is written the next morning, and is by no means a play-by-play. I apologise in advance if I have misremembered the details (including the fight order!), but these are the impressions I got.

OVERALL

The venue (Caesar's Palace, Streatham) is more than a bit seedy. The crowd were good natured, but the atmosphere was hot, stuffy and smoky. I was worried that this would slow the fights, but most fighters fought with admirable enthusiasm and energy.

Drinks were expensive, food was non-existent (except a burger cart selling greasy patties for abour 3.50 a go). Tickets were more expensive than I expected, and turning down a table for "standing tickets" was a really bad idea, since it meant that I spent six and a half hours leaning over some railings. I got an excellent, unobstructed view, though, so that was nice.

Bumping into some friends from training was also a good bonus, and it was nice discussing the fights with similarly knowledgeable fans.

"Opening Entertainment"

Ugh. The worst hip-hop (rap?) act ever came on to "warm up" the crowd. I'd rather listen to that annoying Big Mouth Bass thing from three years ago. It was horrible. Some wannabe guys trying to be American ghetto rappers and some girl strutting imperiously with a mike going "yeah yeah" at random (out of sync) intervals and not much else. At least once these idiots got out of the cage they played some random power ballads. For about an hour. I think the intro from Sweet Child o' Mine played about three times, although the song itself only played once. Nice.

Danny Fletcher def. Steve Cunnigham

Danny looked mean and pumped from the start. He got the better of the stand-up exchange and secured an armbar soon after going to the ground.

Colin Lingwood def Stuart Grant

I'm not 100% sure about the finish, but I'm pretty sure than Colin won by armbar. Stuart had a lot of heart but looked outclassed.

Dave Lee def Chris Hipkess

This was the worst fight of the night in terms of technique and decision-making, but right up there in terms of entertainment and heart. Both men fought bravely but it looked really sloppy out there. Dave clearly wanted no part of Chris' stand-up game, but missed a lot of opportunities on the ground. Dave ended up choking Chris in the third round.

Carla o'Sullivan def Ruth Darbisher

I'd never seen a women's fight before, and was feeling vaguely anxious. The fact that both girls were very pretty made it a bit weird too. Fortunately, I overcame my prejudices and the girls overcame half of the guys to deliver an excellent, fast-paced, entertaining but brief bout.

Carla was convincing in victory, dominating the stand-up exchange. Ruth grabbed a hold of Carla's head, squeezed and forced her to the ground. And then didn't do much else as Carla would eventually turn her and then work for the armbar. A clearly emotional Ruth tapped.

Ian Butlin def Chin Weerasinghe

These guys were billed as being within 2kgs of each other, but Chin looked very small. This fight was long, but exciting, consisting mostly of Ian GnPing from within Chin's guard, as Chin looked for submissions.

It was a bit of a strange one, with Chin seeming to transition from submission to submission without actually committing to anything except for the occasional keylock. And it was always a keylock, and almost always on Ian's right arm.

The referee stopped it in the third round from punishment to Chin. It was a fair stoppage - Chin took about seven unanswered elbows to the face, and was bleeding. The fighter was clearly unhappy, and stormed out of the ring.

Intermission

Those hip-hop boys came out again for an intermission. This time there were four of them - three guys, one girl. This is how it went down.

Random Rapper: Blah blah blah I want to be american blah blah blah.

Girl: (Painfully out of sync) Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

To be fair, they weren't as annoying as having a hippo shoved into your arsehole without any lubricant.

Ricky Moore def Benoit Derot

The fights took a visible leap up in quality after the intermission and this was a grappling clinic. I can't remember too many of the details, but I remember being impressed. Ricky won. I can't remember how.

Ronaldo Campos def Michael Johnson

I almost wet myself before this one, I was so nervous. I only vaguely know Ronaldo (he teaches a class before my wrestling class on Saturdays, and occasionally joins us) but I know him enough to know that he is a lovely guy. I was really rooting for him in this one, against a very tough, very game Michael Johnson.

Michael failed to make weight, weighing in at 77.8kgs in a 76kg limit fight. The promoters acted as if this didn't matter (they just neglected to mention the formal weight limit) and the two fighters went at it.

Despite an early scare (Ronaldo tried, unconvincingly, to trade strikes with Michael) Ronaldo brought the match to the ground and pulled off one of the fastest, sweetest armbars ever. It lasted about 3 minutes. Ronaldo defends his welterweight title.

Sammy Schiavo def Paul Sutherland

Wow! Sammy was impressive. He opened with the biggest, hardest takedown ever. It looked like a Bill Goldberg "spear", and he caught Paul in midair, as Paul was leaping at him.

Paul fought bravely, was was clearly outclassed as Sammy took it in the first round, through painful GnP from back mount.

Paul Jenkins drew with Suley Mahmood

Paul Jenkins is great. From his ludicrous Welsh accent to his scary grin as he gives and takes punches, he's a character. He took the fight to a very tough Suley and looked to have clinched the decision. Suley is a great fighter but he looked vaguely lost here, as if he wasn't entirely sure about how he could beat Jenkins.

It was ruled a draw, but I felt that this was quite kind to Suley. They were talking about a rematch so maybe we'll get some resolution then. For now Paul keeps his title.

Xavier Foupa def Paulo Coelho

Paulo was a replacement for Alex Evans and this may explain his sub-par performance. As expected he performed well on the ground, but looked too happy to stay down to avoid Xavier's lightning strikes. After failing to answer the referee's stand-up order, the fight was stopped. Xavier takes a very impressive win.

Intermission

Apparently the guy who came in was Britain's number 1 hip-hop artist. What I saw was a chubby 30-something dressed as a 16 year-old wannabe. To be fair, the music was actually quite good, but the guy (possibly called Blade or Shade or Bumfluff) suffered from timing. By this point it was about 12.15 am and I wasn't the only one constantly looking at my watch. The trains had finished, the tubes would be closed and we were all faced with the prospect of walking or bussing from Streatham High Street (which, incidentally, was officially judged to be the UK's "street of shame", on account of its utter crapness and lack of any redeeming features).

To cut an unnecessarily long story short, the guy was good but we weren't in any mood to see him. Sorry mate.

Jean Silva def Leigh Remedios

The main event and fight of the night. I didn't know which way to jump with this one. Jean is scary good. He has everything - striking, grappling, fun. A great fighter to watch. Leigh is less flamboyant but just as effective - an honest, effective workman of a fighter, and a hell of a nice guy.

The first round was a pretty even clinic. Strikes, grappling, reversals, submissions and counters. I scored it a draw, but was worried that Leigh looked out of sorts.

The second round opened with a takedown for Jean, who took top position in Leigh's guard. Leigh was looking a bit sluggish, and his guard was very defensive. The fight was stood up and in the ensuing exchange Jean scored a mean right roundhouse kick to the side of Leigh's head. The english fighter went down and the ref intervened. Jean wins by TKO.

I got home safely, despite eating some food from KFC.

drunkenj
2/16/2004 7:00am,
nice report beavis!!!!

Prone
2/16/2004 7:40am,
Blade is cool, dunno why he'd be the intermission act at a fight though. I've seen him a couple of times live.

Good report, must've been fun.

Beavis
2/16/2004 8:32am,
It was fun. I've been to bigger shows and I've seen better cards but this had a nice mix of debutants, up-and-comers and established stars.

There were a number of production problems (such as the videos not working) and a lot of it was cheesy (such as the horribly contrived taped pre-fight fighter interviews) , and some moments verged on undisguised freak shows (they showed the clip of that guy's shin breaking against Ross Pettifer at Cae Rage 4 about 7 times). It was too long, too smoky, the accomodation was unpleasant and the intermission stuff was appalling. But these things happen and this is still a fairly new production. The crowd enjoyed it and it was a good night. I'm glad I went.

As for Blade, as I said I'm sure he's a good act. He was enthusiastic and he was game but he basically delayed a main event that was already about two hours behind schedule. Hence his hostile reception. The bloke behind me shouted "Close the door on your way out" after the poor guy finished. That kind of summed it all up.

I think Elite Productions were just trying to take the event up a class. They probably failed on this occasion but it was a good idea. Stick with it, boys.

Omega Supreme
2/16/2004 8:59am,
Ronaldo Campos def Michael Johnson

I almost wet myself before this one, I was so nervous. I only vaguely know Ronaldo (he teaches a class before my wrestling class on Saturdays, and occasionally joins us) but I know him enough to know that he is a lovely guy. I was really rooting for him in this one, against a very tough, very game Michael Johnson.

Michael failed to make weight, weighing in at 77.8kgs in a 76kg limit fight. The promoters acted as if this didn't matter (they just neglected to mention the formal weight limit) and the two fighters went at it.

Despite an early scare (Ronaldo tried, unconvincingly, to trade strikes with Michael) Ronaldo brought the match to the ground and pulled off one of the fastest, sweetest armbars ever. It lasted about 3 minutes. Ronaldo defends his welterweight title.

::::raise eye brow, frown......walks away::::

::::mumble:::: 'must be an British thing'

Beavis
2/16/2004 9:07am,
With a heroic effort, I managed to remember the teachings from my youth and held back the pee.

I'm sure you're proud of me, Omega.

Omega Supreme
2/16/2004 9:19am,
What about >"...he is a lovely guy"

Beavis
2/16/2004 9:36am,
But he is, he's really nice!

Beavis
2/16/2004 9:37am,
(Not in a gay way, obviously) :)