PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with Protein Powder

Conde Koma
3/19/2010 3:12pm,
Couldn't find a specific topic about this, so here I am.

In what capacity is it okay to use protein powder in cooking? Recipes I found on google are mostly just blending it into stuff (smoothies, ice cream, etc) and a couple of baking recipes.

I wanted to make some creamy potato soup in my slow cooker this morning, but realized that I didn't have any creamer or milk. Then I thought, "Hey, my protein powder is sort of like milk powder, maybe that will work!" Can someone explain to me if this is a phenomenally bad idea?

For the record, I'm using Amazon.com: EAS Premium Vanilla Protein Powder 6 Lb Bag: Health & Personal Care (http://www.amazon.com/EAS-Premium-Vanilla-Protein-Powder/dp/B002MY5KTI) as powder. Someone help me with my kitchen fu!

Sri Hanuman
3/19/2010 3:18pm,
Good thinking, I was wondering the same thing a while back. For the most part, I mix it into my oatmeal. Haven't thought about the potatoes, I did put it in quite a few smoothies. Does anyobdy know if it keeps it's potency after going into the oven?

pokeroo
3/19/2010 5:40pm,
For me I usually only use i in smoothies, but I'd like to mix it in oatmeal. I tried mixing it with cream of wheat but it didn't mix well. Does it work better if you mix it in cold water then heat it?

Odacon
3/19/2010 5:55pm,
I tried bsn protein with oatmeal, it did not end well

kenikim
3/19/2010 6:11pm,
Good thinking, I was wondering the same thing a while back. For the most part, I mix it into my oatmeal. Haven't thought about the potatoes, I did put it in quite a few smoothies. Does anyobdy know if it keeps it's potency after going into the oven?

i've never had even a spoonful of protein powder in my life, but can't help wonder how could the 'potency' of protein be reduced in anyway whatsoever by putting it into the oven provided that it ain't burnt crisp??? to me that's like asking if boiled water isn't as hydrating as cold water.

Sri Hanuman
3/19/2010 6:32pm,
i've never had even a spoonful of protein powder in my life, but can't help wonder how could the 'potency' of protein be reduced in anyway whatsoever by putting it into the oven provided that it ain't burnt crisp??? to me that's like asking if boiled water isn't as hydrating as cold water.

You should see what I do to food.

Conde Koma
3/19/2010 6:38pm,
well, proteins do de-nature under heat, it's what causes meat to cook. from what i've read, it shouldn't do anything bad to chance it necessarily, but i'm not an expert.

Where's Emevas/TheRuss/Jack Rusher when you need them??

Sri Hanuman
3/19/2010 6:40pm,
Where's Emevas/TheRuss/Jack Rusher when you need them??

I believe it's all the same guy with different costumes.

TheRuss
3/19/2010 9:06pm,
Okay, in no particular order:

I added whey protein powder to muffins. It really dried them out. Adjust your recipes accordingly.

I have a friend who swears by whey protein powder in oatmeal. Tried it myself... it was kind of bland, but altogether inoffensive.

The proteins in protein powder may denature with heat, assuming this didn't already happen during preparation. This actually helps digestion - this is why eating raw egg whites wastes half the protein.

However, the other ingredients in protein powder, notably sweeteners, may not handle temperature changes so well. (Aside: This was one of the obstacles to making diet-soda Slurpees). My understanding is that sucralose is stable when baked, but I make no guarantees that any other sweeteners won't turn into something that tastes horrible or is toxic.

Vanilla flavour in potato soup? Ugh. Also, texture-wise, whey isn't a great substitute for milk. Instead, I suggest... milk? Or milk protein isolate and a bit of heavy cream, maybe.

Conde Koma
3/19/2010 9:23pm,
this is why you're my favorite. <3

gregaquaman
3/20/2010 6:29pm,
I thought that you can only absorb so much protien at a time so adding protien powder to say your chicken sandwich would add callories but as far added benifits of protien powder it would do basicly nothing and cost money.

TheRuss
3/20/2010 6:56pm,
I thought that you can only absorb so much protien at a time

See this post (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2280253&postcount=48). Despite that, though...

so adding protien powder to say your chicken sandwich would add callories but as far added benifits of protien powder it would do basicly nothing and cost money.

... this is probably true. Plus, flavoured protein powder on a chicken sandwich? Gross.