PDA

View Full Version : I was accused of being "that guy" today, but...

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

tao.jonez
3/12/2010 1:00pm,
We had this one real funny smelling dude from Charlotte at our last TD in Raleigh. MAN did he stink up the plHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH WHAT??!??!

I mean...

I do the splash of white vinegar on my shizzle as it goes through the washer. I also wash my stuff after EVERY practice, no exceptions. At this point I only own one gi anyway, when I end up with more hopefully I can do more bulk loads. Several guys have mentioned the Borax trick as well, so far white vinegar has been working great and it's pretty cheap.

That's it. I'm not washing my gear again till after the Spring TD. And I'm storing it on the floor in a cheap strip club. Lastly, I'll rub poison ivy leaves all over it. Hmph.

kenikim
3/12/2010 1:02pm,
We had this one real funny smelling dude from Charlotte at our last TD in Raleigh. MAN did he stink up the plHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH WHAT??!??!

I mean...

I do the splash of white vinegar on my shizzle as it goes through the washer. I also wash my stuff after EVERY practice, no exceptions. At this point I only own one gi anyway, when I end up with more hopefully I can do more bulk loads. Several guys have mentioned the Borax trick as well, so far white vinegar has been working great and it's pretty cheap.

ya, vinegar does the trick in most cases, but there are odd times when it doesn't do. i tried actually soaking my gi in a basin full of vinegar, and this smell still remained. i think only the people who actually had this indestructible stench problem know this. in the past, i've had my gi STINK like hell, when i forgot to take it out of the bag after practice and kept it there for several days, but after a wash, it was fine. but THIS time, nothing would do. it must be a specific strain of bateria that was picked up from someone at the club. nothing works on this mofo except borax i heard.

there are people who actually FREEZE their gi to get rid of this problem. high success rate, i read, but not as high as borax.

but you should invest in another gi, if you train often. problem of having only one gi and washing after every practice is that your gi might not be completely dry between. germs LOVE moisture.

Cowardly Lurker
3/12/2010 1:39pm,
I swear by white vinegar. I use it in every load of laundry I do rather than fabric softener. Add about a cup to the rinse cycle and your gis will smell good, be white and won't get stiff if you line dry them.

Borax and/or baking soda works, too, in the rare cases of persistant funk.

I wrote an article on washing the gi (http://www.stevebjj.com/2009/07/washing-the-bjj-gi). I hope it helps. I got tired of other peoples' funk rubbing off on me. If you see anything that's innaccurate in the article, let me know.

Conde Koma
3/12/2010 2:26pm,
A friend of mine makes his brand with hemp, which has anti-microbial properties and should keep the smell away.

http://www.dsmma.com/html/gis.html

He's sold out right now, but he should have another shipment coming soon.

Ming Loyalist
3/12/2010 3:03pm,
A friend of mine makes his brand with hemp, which has anti-microbial properties and should keep the smell away.

is there a reason that there is no price listed? is this one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" things?

Cowardly Lurker
3/12/2010 3:09pm,
There's another hemp gi in the works. http://www.greengi.com

I saw the prototype worn at the mundials last year, and it looked pretty good. They've been promising a release for months, though.

Conde Koma
3/12/2010 3:32pm,
is there a reason that there is no price listed? is this one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" things?

Haha, no, he's just sold out is all. I think when I wanted to get one, it was around the 80-100 range, but don't quote me on that.

kenikim
3/12/2010 4:13pm,

this looks pretty interesting. i have a few questions though.

i do wonder how permanent this 'anti-microbial' properties will last.
i once had a set of knee pads that were anti-microbial, and it lost its effectiveness after a couple of months. this is one of the qualities of hemp, but i wonder with the amount of washing the gi goes though, how much of it will be retained over time. and there will germs that it won't show resistance to.

and too bad if there is no judo dimension, and only BJJ. would make a good practice gi and would be better if the feel was soft. hemp is usually quite rough.

minor nitpick - why is the model name, Datsusara MMA CG-01??? MMA??? would make sense to call it BJJ CG-01

Cannon_6
3/12/2010 4:27pm,
Someone said after class that my gi was stinky. "Really stinky" were the words.
He's just trying to get in your head. Don't let him.

Next time you're going to roll with him, prepare yourself in advance. Eat all those foods you know you shouldn't eat, and time the meal to ensure maximum intestinal gas and skin seepage at training time. Show him who's the man.

battlefields
3/12/2010 4:47pm,
Rolled for about two seconds last night with a dude who stank so bad. He mustn't have used deodorant for at least a day, it was sickening.

After a game similar to bullrush he was talking loudly about how his normal sensei "would break my back if we played games in class", he oviously wanted everyone to know that his training was better than ours. I wonder what his sensei would do if he smelt the foulness that was his presence.

Larus marinus
3/12/2010 4:57pm,
He's just trying to get in your head. Don't let him.

Next time you're going to roll with him, prepare yourself in advance. Eat all those foods you know you shouldn't eat, and time the meal to ensure maximum intestinal gas and skin seepage at training time. Show him who's the man.

Don't forget to **** your gi. Just for fun.

Cowardly Lurker
3/12/2010 5:59pm,
Funniest story I've heard was from an old school brazilian who asked at a referee's meeting prior to a local tournament, "What about the piss pants?" I guess some dudes would piss on their pants the day before a tournament to let them get nice and funky. I'd forfeit from the smell.

Conde Koma
3/12/2010 7:05pm,
this looks pretty interesting. i have a few questions though.

i do wonder how permanent this 'anti-microbial' properties will last.
i once had a set of knee pads that were anti-microbial, and it lost its effectiveness after a couple of months. this is one of the qualities of hemp, but i wonder with the amount of washing the gi goes though, how much of it will be retained over time. and there will germs that it won't show resistance to.

and too bad if there is no judo dimension, and only BJJ. would make a good practice gi and would be better if the feel was soft. hemp is usually quite rough.

minor nitpick - why is the model name, Datsusara MMA CG-01??? MMA??? would make sense to call it BJJ CG-01

From what he's told me, the anti-microbial properties should be semi-permanent. Unless you're washing your gi a hundred times a day or something, I don't think it'll "wear out" the properties.

And Datsusara MMA is the company name, since he started with making gym bags for MMA (lots of space and pockets for gear, anti-microbial, breathable, etc.). The gi works for both judo and bjj, and gets softer as you use it more.

UpaLumpa
3/12/2010 7:42pm,
to be honest I m not rich enough to get a gi, **** it up, and buy a new one.
I better care about for my equipment.

There are very good gi's that cost around 100 bucks. Even washing (with bleach half the time) and drying a sirius two-three times a week isn't going to kill it in a year to two years.

If you can't afford a new gi every 1.5 years you probably can't afford bjj anyway.

As was said, wash, dry and don't give a **** about the fabric "wearing out". By the time that happens you'll want a new one anyway.

I hate that goddamn crap about "wearing them out", what the **** do you think rolling around on the ground and having people yank on the damn thing is doing?

The Question
3/12/2010 9:19pm,
I can't belive you started a thread about some **** like this. Look, you ***** ************, tell that fucking idiot to go **** himself with barbed wire and get on with the motherfucking training.

MrJ
3/15/2010 7:26am,

I guess some dudes would piss on their pants the day before a tournament to let them get nice and funky. I'd forfeit from the smell.

I have a red gi. I am going to pay a menstruating crack whore to wear my gi pants inside out for a few hours with no underwear before I train and grapple.