PDA

View Full Version : Blind Thai boxer follows his dream (video)

littleoldme
3/10/2010 6:41pm,
Surely wrestling / grappling would be easier
and more practical?

This is no ordinary boxing match.

Twenty-nine-year-old Sujet Salee is blind and, to keep things fair, his opponent has been blindfolded.

Many blind people in Thailand become masseurs or work with handicrafts, but Sujet always wanted to be a boxer like his father, and decided to pursue his dream anyway.

[Sujet Salee, Boxer]:
"When I was young, my father was a boxer, but none of my brothers took up boxing as a career. I wanted to be a boxer like my father, but I'm blind. I didn't think I could do it, but I made up my mind."

Sujet has won five consecutive matches since starting his boxing career in October last year, and his trainer says his blindness works to his advantage.

[Sirowat Somboon, Sujet's Trainer]:
"When he touched his opponent in the ring, he attacked instantly. His sense is good, which is an advantage over blind-folded boxers."

Sujet is one of 15 boxers training in a newly established boxing camp in Surin.

He earns around $46 every time he wins a match.

Link with video here
http://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/ns_life/2010-03-10/363611195241.html

alex
3/10/2010 6:46pm,
i think its fairly obvious hes just being used as a sideshow by promoters. kinda fucked up really. the whole crowd is just there for a cheap laugh at the moronic display in the ring.

littleoldme
3/10/2010 6:58pm,
I think you're right about that

There again I find it difficult to work out is things like this are exploitative if the person being "exploited" is happier doing what they're doing than doing something else.

$46 for each fight won seems a miserly amount but maybe he's better off doing that then working in a fish canning factory or something similar.

superninjagod
3/10/2010 6:58pm,
i think its fairly obvious hes just being used as a sideshow by promoters. kinda fucked up really. the whole crowd is just there for a cheap laugh at the moronic display in the ring.

This just looks stupid and dangerous

alex
3/10/2010 7:13pm,
I think you're right about that

There again I find it difficult to work out is things like this are exploitative if the person being "exploited" is happier doing what they're doing than doing something else.

$46 for each fight won seems a miserly amount but maybe he's better off doing that then working in a fish canning factory or something similar.

no youre right, and in thailand if he can get a fight every week or every fortnight, 46 bucks is a lot.

but do you think he would admit that he knows its a sham and that hes nothing more than a sideshow? i dont think he would. thats where the exploitation comes in- just because someone doesnt know its happening doesnt mean it isnt. you can still get paid well and be exploited (its just not very common)

pauli
3/10/2010 7:40pm,
you know, his friends have the same concerns you do - but every time they try and show him tapes of normal matches, he shrugs and says, "i just don't see it."

Permalost
3/10/2010 7:45pm,
It seems like he would have a definite advantage over his blindfolded opponents, who are used to using their sight for so much.