PDA

View Full Version : hi ho, hi ho, i'm going back to judo

Pages : [1] 2

omoplatypus
3/04/2010 2:29pm,
**** it, after my miserable performance at the STL TD, i see just how horribly out of practice i am across the board.

recap, i was going to all day mma training twice a month and i had finally gotten into an awesome judo club and was making standard progress from breakfalls to o soto gari and o goshi etc. when i got downsized (mortgage banker fail). with 27 thousand dollars a year in take home income gone from my family budget, i decided to drop MA training. now, almost 5 months has passed and i'm back to square one.

so, everybody send me some good vibes. i'm taking whats left of my tax return and paying for 3 months of judo tonight.

zenofanger, get your goddamn diploma asap so you can join in the fun!

Lily
3/04/2010 3:02pm,
Good luck WK. Hope the health issues have been cleared by a doctor before you start judo.

shelbydeth
3/04/2010 3:10pm,
I too am feeling the crushing grip of poverty! But really, good luck dude. And remember, if all else fails, go for the legs! Teach them to restrict their ruleset.

omoplatypus
3/04/2010 3:12pm,
Good luck WK. Hope the health issues have been cleared by a doctor before you start judo.

quit smoking, changed my diet, doing more cardio and less strength training, i'm doing WAY better.

the biggest thing was quitting smoking. turns out, cigarettes are doubly bad for thalasemic shitfuckers like myself.

Conde Koma
3/04/2010 3:20pm,
i thought it was pretty common knowledge that smoking is bad for athletic endeavors in general. i'm always confused by people who need a smoke break during work-outs.

i'm also feeling the crushing grip of poverty. i don't really feel right about training without a steady job, so i'm just been doing padwork and conditioning with my roommate. not really often enough to go forward, but hopefully enough to keep me from going backward.

pauli
3/04/2010 3:20pm,
WHO KNEW?

omoplatypus
3/04/2010 3:27pm,
WHO KNEW?
i KNOW! right???
you think there would be a warning label or something....

but seriously, quitting smoking is fucking HARD, and i give huge props to anybody who's done it.

shelbydeth
3/04/2010 4:07pm,
Fortunately I always stayed away from tobaccy. Alchyhol on the other hand...

Emevas
3/04/2010 4:27pm,
Congrats. Just to be me, how did dropping strength training benefit your health?

Hedgehogey
3/04/2010 4:58pm,
You have thalesemia and you smoked? Are you retarded?

Lily
3/04/2010 5:04pm,
WK, good work on the change in diet and quitting the nicotine.

It will benefit your whole life.

I'm with emevas...why cut out stength training? Is it because you shouldn't get your heart rate up too high?

battlefields
3/04/2010 5:39pm,
WK, this thread couldn't come at a better time for me. On Wednesday I started Judo, sucked gas for too much of it and vowed not to smoke again. Yesterday I was on the patches, but today I'm going cold turkey, with a patch on hand just in case. It will work this time, I just have to stay busy. Another benefit is the AU$5000 per year savings, which helps a broke digga like myself.

Being broke does wonders for your diet, as an aside.

Emevas
3/04/2010 5:45pm,
WK, this thread couldn't come at a better time for me. On Wednesday I started Judo, sucked gas for too much of it and vowed not to smoke again. Yesterday I was on the patches, but today I'm going cold turkey, with a patch on hand just in case. It will work this time, I just have to stay busy. Another benefit is the AU$5000 per year savings, which helps a broke digga like myself.

Being broke does wonders for your diet, as an aside.

Better plan: Go to one of those "quitting smoking" groups and sell cigarettes to people in the men's room during break periods at inflated rates. You get rid of your supply and help make back some money WHILE getting a great support network.

shelbydeth
3/04/2010 7:36pm,
Better plan: Go to one of those "quitting smoking" groups and sell cigarettes to people in the men's room during break periods at inflated rates. You get rid of your supply and help make back some money WHILE getting a great support network.

You sir....are a genius! I'd tip my hat to you if I had one.

omoplatypus
3/04/2010 7:50pm,
You have thalesemia and you smoked? Are you retarded?
yes i was. when i was 13 i decided i wanted to be just like slash, so i grew long hair, started playing guitar, and started smoking. when i was 28 i was diagnosed with thalesemia. docs said i would have been diagnosed much earlier if i was a typical fat lazy american.

Congrats. Just to be me, how did dropping strength training benefit your health?

WK, good work on the change in diet and quitting the nicotine.

It will benefit your whole life.

I'm with emevas...why cut out stength training? Is it because you shouldn't get your heart rate up too high?
let me clarify, i didnt quit strength training, i cut it back for more cardio time. i was obsessed with getting huge lifts and i wasn't doing enough cardio work. i definitely wasn't doing enough interval work. now, i'm still doing plenty of lifting and body weight work (pull ups, dips, etc) but i'm not obsessing about getting a 350 bench press or a 400 dead lift.

i'm gonna have to do a write up on quitting smoking now that i'm 6 months quit and out of the woods with it.

Lily
3/04/2010 8:12pm,
Snake Plissken says 'hi' and wants 'before and after' pics.