PDA

View Full Version : The REALLY best RBSD

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

RealManOfSteel
2/10/2010 1:28am,
No this isn't a thread about SUPER DEADLY ARMY SAS KILL WITH LOOKS thread.

It isn't about a meaningless debate on style vs style either, because we all know where that leads.

If you really want to be able to survive a fight against multiple, armed opponents, then why not learn Parkour? I think it may have been brought up a few times when people ask about the best self defense, but it's usually in passing.

I've just started classes, and it is great! MA are great, but there might come a time after you get your blackbelt in BJJ when you think you can probably take them, and it's just unrealistic ego talking.

Sure some people (Not the brightest ones) might suggest that running away is not manly, or that it's weak. I suppose being manly then means letting random thugs knife you to death. If that's the case than you don't really need to do an MA, just punch one of the biggest guys you can see.

Other benefits of Parkour include great fitness in almost every aspect, and since Parkour is not yet being mass marketed, you can't really find a dodgy school.

The people tend to be all mates, as there are no competitions in Parkour(but you can race if you want to, after class). The only real competition is who can help others get better the most.

So if anyone is in Melbourne, or close to a Parkour place, why not come down and have a look. Google Australian Parkour Association and come train with me.

I'll be the curly haired tool trying to get up that fucking wall!

Squerlli
2/10/2010 1:50am,
I'll make this quick.

1) No one worth taking seriously on this site advocates using violence when the situation CAN be solved without physical confrontation (within reasonable limit, I'm also not going to tell people to beg and cry on their knee's).

2) You really need a better grasp of striking and grappling.

3) Stop encouraging Sirc.

4) Those of us here that accept things like "reality" know it's a god damn better idea to hall ass then fight a group of thugs when you're alone or get the hell away from some psycho with a weapon. theotherserge is a Sambo instructor and he even made a post about how he simply walked away from some idiot with a knife instead of fighting him.

So yeah... you fail. You get an A for effort (sorta).

RealManOfSteel
2/10/2010 1:55am,
Yeah, I don't mean the majority of people on this site. I think we both know who I mean.

I would love to go to a gym for some grappling (I have a place all sorted out.) But I have to sort out the logistical issues of training twice a week a long way away from me, while in VCE.

If the best way to avoid a punch is to not be there, then the best way to not be there is Parkour.

PimpDawg
2/10/2010 1:57am,
If you really want to be able to survive a fight against multiple, armed opponents, then why not learn Parkour?

Farking hell, I'm going to try to save everyone some bandwidth and try to cut to the chase. The only effective way to train for a fight against multiple armed opponents is to regularly spar against multiple armed non-compliant opponents.

After your first few live sparring sessions against armed oponents, report back on which techniques you found worked.

:deadhorse

danniboi07
2/10/2010 11:21am,
Farking hell, I'm going to try to save everyone some bandwidth and try to cut to the chase. The only effective way to train for a fight against multiple armed opponents is to regularly spar against multiple armed non-compliant opponents.

After your first few live sparring sessions against armed oponents, report back on which techniques you found worked.

:deadhorse

Don't know if you know...but Parkour is the art of running......with STYLE.

So he's advocating looking awesome while running away from the gang.

Vorpal
2/10/2010 11:29am,
You're on a date, three drunk goons assault you and your girl. You run away while doing springing handstands on any obstacles in the way. She gets beaten, mugged and raped. Awesome.

Iainkelt
2/10/2010 11:37am,
You're on a date, three drunk goons assault you and your girl. You run away while doing springing handstands on any obstacles in the way. She gets beaten, mugged and raped. Awesome.

....but I got away safely, right?

Aaron_
2/10/2010 11:47am,

perhaps piggy-back sprinting lessons are the way to go then? :)

CharlieWoopAss2
....but I got away safely, right?

Yeah you got away, in a awesome way, just like this guy did years ago:

YouTube- afro ninja (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEtIoGQxqQs)

jnp
Alternatively, you have bad knees etc. and Parkour is not an option.

Concealed carry is the best RBSD. Sucks to be you if you live in a country/state where it's not allowed.

Holy Moment
2/10/2010 11:55am,
I remember someone made a thread like this a few years back. The idea kind of strikes me as frivolous, because I would think that most anybody would be able to run away when given the opportunity. Parkour training might give you the ability to overcome obstacles and elude your assailants more quickly, but it still seems silly to get special training in order to be able to just run away.

I say, just hit the track and invest the remainder of your free time training martial arts or gun-fu if you want self defense.

migo
2/10/2010 12:14pm,
Parkour's a great idea. If you're going to say running is the best option, you should do more than pay lip service to it and actually be able to do it. People will always make excuses for why they can't run, but it's unlikely that you're always with your girlfriend, every second of the day. Sometimes you'll be with her and might have to fight, and sometimes you'll be alone, without any friends, and with 20 other guys, all with weapons, that really is about the only thing that's going to save you. In addition to that, why not get your girlfriend doing Parkour as well? Even if you're going to stay around and fight, she should have the option to get out of there, 'cause if you go down, she's certainly next.

BaronVonDingDong
2/10/2010 1:15pm,
I prefer to attend every event (be it cocktail hour, gallery opening or gala night at the opera house) sitting on a motorbike with my girlfriend in a sidecar.

That way we is always ready to make with teh hasty getaway.

CharlieWoopAss2
2/10/2010 1:24pm,
What about one of those times when, like 5 guys jump you, and play the one by one fighting game. You'd have a better chance of fighting them.

Muerteds
2/10/2010 1:48pm,
Heh. One of my very few fights outside of childhood, not with my brother, was against two guys. But they conveniently faced me one-on-one. All their friends just watched. It made it much easier.

I find myself often in strange cities with no means of defense other than myself, or possibly my walking stick. I hate running. I have yet to ever have a problem because I carry myself well, don't go where I shouldn't, and don't start stupid ****. It's that easy. Be polite. It has served me well so far.

Nicko1
2/10/2010 3:00pm,

I can't claim to know what techniques work, as such, but I know the outcome. Unless your attackers are completely incompetent: you lose. Even Matt Thornton has stated that he could not defend himself against two guys who know even a tenth of what he knows. The only strategy with any reasonable hope of success is escape. The ability to jump a 2-metre high wall, coupled with a high level of fitness strikes me as rather useful.

Obviously there will be situations when running away will not be an option. Just as there will be situations when fighting is not an option. Civilian concealed carry is never an option in Australia. I think a distinction also needs to be made between "Parkour" and the more showy "Free Running". The OP is not advocating flips and handstands; merely pointing out that the ability to overcome obstacles and run like hell is a higher-percentage strategy than punching on and hoping your attackers don't know how to hit you in the back of the head.

Bottom line is the OP is going to have fun with his new mates, while developing a high level of fitness. This is never a waste of time.