PDA

View Full Version : Drunks and MMA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SaintHamish
2/02/2010 4:12am,
This is somewhat of argumentive topic that lurks quite close to my own heart. I am unfortunate enough, in some ways, to be a nightclub bouncer of several years. The reason I choose to remain in this profession is quite simply because the hours suit my lifestyle. In saying that, the job itself is generaly fast paced and often exciting.

However this is not the basis of this particular thread.

The core subject of this particular thread is the alarming increase in street violence and unprovoked assualts which we find ourselves witness to and at times involved in.

You just have to look at Kimbo Slice and the intense fascination we all had with his 'Street Fighting' videos on youtube. Then of course was 'The Ultimate Fighter' which allowed us all to bear witness on the other aspects of the fight game. More recently we have our old mate 'War Machine' punching on with nightclub staff and choking out members of the general public. Plus releasing some sort of disturbing looking adult film, which is a crime in itself.

Pouring fuel on the age old human cockfighting aspect of MMA, it is clear that the increase in popularity of the sport is having an effect on the streets, if you will.

Over the last few years in particular, the increase of public participation and interest in MMA has intensified. You can find MMA orientated gyms all over most capital cities. We have all argued over the fascination with MMA brands, TapouT, Affliction etc. Even the 'Role Model' tag has begun to circle throughtout the top MMA ranks, regardless of Fight Promotion said fighter participates in.

It is this double sided sword that myself and some of my alumni find to be a contributing factor in the steady rise of unprovoked and violent assualts.

I am not suggesting that it is a dominant factor in this particular situation, however I am suggesting that it is defiantly playing a role.

We all support and contribute any way we can to the development of local MMA and the athletes, wether it be through training, financialy or competition support.

But it is the actions of a few that somewhat derails the endevours of many.

Im not suggesting that we are all innocent. I know myself I have been guilty of boisterous gloating and been involved in violent confrontations because of that fact.

Think about it. Remember the way we all used to act when we first began training our chosen deadly. Take particular note of the way our friendship circle acted. These factors when mixed with a common sense inhibitor such as alcohol or illicit drugs, can suddenly turn into a rather slippery slope of aggression, adrelanine and the end consequence is generaly violence.

But it is the ones who's sole purpose is to promote violence and incite aggression. We have all seen them, sitting at the bar, standing in line outside, queing for the bathroom whilst bragging about their participation in the 'Cage'. These are the ones that generaly have no concept of the dedication, committment and sacrifices that have to be made to actualy compete in this sport at ANY sort of level. But they certainly dont mind getting into brawls when their so called 'accomplishments' are bought into question.

These are the people that can ruin lives and cause serious injury.

These people are my issue.

I relize that there isnt a great deal that I personaly can do to rectify this particular social dilema. Hell, I even recognize the fact that there really isnt anything that anyone can do. Violence will always be present in our society, so will alcohol.

It just makes me sad to see a stranger kick another stranger in the head whilst his unconcious simply because he didnt believe he was training to fight in the UFC.

End of rant.

Emevas
2/02/2010 4:28am,
I'm so confused

SaintHamish
2/02/2010 4:31am,
I am too and I wrote it.

CrackFox
2/02/2010 4:43am,
Correlation is not the same thing as causation.

Also I'll have to check things out, but I thought the stats for violent crimes have been going down these days.

Squerlli
2/02/2010 4:50am,
I'm an MMA fighter is just what is currently trendy.

In the 60's-90's it was kung fighter, karateka, aikidoka, tae kwon do fighter, CQC expert/marine/naval officer (i've seen people lie about military experience to act cool), kick boxer, etc...

It's because MMA has made more people realize that marital arts about KO'ing people with chi or the honor of the ancient shaolin society or whatever other cliche bullshit is JUST for the movies.

Now couple along that with the fact that most people don't 'understand' what MMA is when they are watching (I had a 40+ year old woman tell me that grappling was so easy a retarded monkey could do it. When I asked her what I was supposed to do if a guy was sitting on top of me and punching me she fell silent before saying "Oh well that's just one of those things you don't let happen".) People who don't understand grappling see two athletes rolling around doing weird **** with their legs, and some stupid **** frat boy will make a gay joke (usually while wearing a visor and holding a coors/bud light).

Now douche bags who are prone to bar brawls see that what 'they' conceive is a typical fight for them (a few swings and then a tussle on the floor until someone jumps in or pukes or whatever drunken slobs do) then they feel that their behavior is acceptable now. They don't understand that trained fighters could easily KO them or if they REALLY wanted to, probably kill them, because of the huge gap in physical conditioning and technique.

So the formula is: Ignorance + stupid rationalization + booze = drunkard thinking bar brawling is okay since he feels that he is an MMA fighter, just with out the cage (or talent, or athleticism, or any training, or dedication, or contract, etc...)

It's a giant cycle of stupid.

Emevas
2/02/2010 5:00am,
Basically drunk people do stupid things?

beardedtaco
2/02/2010 5:04am,
One of the seniors at my school got jumped ( for trying to calm down an argument amongst strangers ) by 4 guys in tapout shirts. After they wailed on him a bit he distinctly remembers another of them saying "No guys ! This isn't why we train". So these guys actually do train somewhere and their actions are despicable.

beardedtaco
2/02/2010 5:09am,
And they were at a pub in tapout shirts which is even worse.

SCInferno
2/02/2010 5:13am,
I like MMA....and I'm drunk.....YOU GOT A FUCKIN PROBLEM?!?!

PointyShinyBurn
2/02/2010 5:38am,
It just makes me sad to see a stranger kick another stranger in the head whilst his unconcious simply because he didnt believe he was training to fight in the UFC.
In my limited experience, the reason people do things like that has little-to-nothing to do with why they say they're doing it.

Uglybugly
2/02/2010 6:17am,
I have never liked the part where people on the ground get kicked. I have done it myself but under group pressure. It would not happen if I was alone.

I stopped hanging with some guys that did this kind of stuff in my teenagers. 1 month after they kicked a guy so he got paralyzed from the waist down. I kind of missed hanging out with them but I didn't want to go to jail so it was best like that.

Necroyunus
2/02/2010 8:51am,
I like MMA....and I'm drunk.....YOU GOT A FUCKIN PROBLEM?!?!

douchebag

Squerlli
2/02/2010 2:09pm,
Basically drunk people do stupid things?
Yeah I know, who would have ever thought?

I have never liked the part where people on the ground get kicked. I have done it myself but under group pressure. It would not happen if I was alone.

I stopped hanging with some guys that did this kind of stuff in my teenagers. 1 month after they kicked a guy so he got paralyzed from the waist down. I kind of missed hanging out with them but I didn't want to go to jail so it was best like that.
You miss hanging with cats that paralyzed a dude from the waist down because they're idiots? Okay I can understand kids getting into a mob mentality type of situation once or twice but what you're talking about is really some next level type ****.

DarkPhoenix
2/02/2010 2:12pm,
That just shows that not only drunk people do stupid things. Stupid people do stupid things.

OZZ
2/02/2010 3:20pm,
Is it just me, or does the very idea of engaging in a street brawl on the same evening that an MMA event is featured on television out at the local bars seem ridiculously cliche and , really, just plain fucking retarded?
I am well past the age where barfighting is fun or even entertaining to watch anymore, but even if I was 23 and going out every other weekend looking for a tussle, I sure as hell wouldn't be doing it on a the same night as a UFC event..it just seems so stupid.:bssign:
Personally, I have not witnessed a bar fight on the same night as a big UFC main event. But I only go out to watch them maybe three or four times a year.

DKJr
2/02/2010 3:35pm,
Violent drunks are acting violent? Say what?