PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Chan Speaks on MMA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

nightowl
1/20/2010 7:20pm,
Reported on Sherdog (http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Jackie-Chan-Does-Not-Like-MMA-22150)

ďI donít like to see Ultimate Fighting.....As a martial artist, I find it too violent putting them in a cage. At the end, itís not fighting anymore. Thatís not the martial arts. Martial arts is about respect. When somebody is knocked down, stop. I really respect Sugar Ray Leonard. Come on, [when a guy is down] stop. Donít fight. Thatís not the spirit. When youíre down, Iíll grab you up. Are you okay? Should we continue? Thatís the martial arts spirit. Thatís what I want.Ē

There is no ground and pound in Drunken Boxing.

Demon Eyes
1/20/2010 7:31pm,
It's just the classic honorable ideals of fighting. Can't really hold it against him. It's those opinions I can respect. All a matter of taste when speaking about competition. It could've been worse. Can you imagine if Jackie said something along the "Too D3adly" argument?

Hooded Justice
1/20/2010 7:49pm,
It's just the classic honorable ideals of fighting. Can't really hold it against him. It's those opinions I can respect. All a matter of taste when speaking about competition. It could've been worse. Can you imagine if Jackie said something along the "Too D3adly" argument?

Sounds like Jackie Chan saying he prefers Sanda/Sanshou/Kickboxing to MMA. Yeah could have been a lot worse he could have mentioned chi.

OiScout
1/20/2010 7:58pm,
Sounds like Jackie Chan saying he prefers Sanda/Sanshou/Kickboxing to MMA. Yeah could have been a lot worse he could have mentioned chi.

Hell, he's not a young guy either, so he might have that certain mindset. If you ask people of an older generation, they'd probably say the same thing, and that anything aside from punching is dirty.

G-Off
1/20/2010 8:14pm,
Not too surprising.

The massive irony, of course, is that in forcing a fighter to defend themselves immediately after being knocked down, more fights are likely to be stopped more quickly in MMA, thus protecting fighters better. If you have 10 free seconds to recover yourself and stand back up, you can survive much harder shots and stand up to take even more full powered strikes again.

After watching MMA for years, certain boxing matches just look fucking brutal. A man too badly rocked to adequately defend himself but with just enough balance to stay upright while the other guy tees off on his face, and the referee won't stop it...screaming "double leg! double leg!" at the TV isn't always for irony's sake.

Flail_Crapple
1/20/2010 8:17pm,
Theater performer thinks he is more in tune with what martial arts is about than MMA fighters...right.
You're cool and all Jackie, but you really need to STFU.

honest_truth
1/20/2010 8:31pm,
YouTube- Jackie Chan Stuntmaster Interview (Funny Game) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV_dvuDPSR4)

Watch this from 2:23 onwards, and you will understand his viewpoints, yes, this is the bonus interview from jackie chan stunt master when you finish the game, and a really amazing game at it actually.

This generation of videogames needs more beat-em-ups and jackies strikes the perfect balance between 3d and sidescroller.

Back on topic though, he probably views actual MMA as too violent because it looks violent, eventhough as pointed out already, it is safer than boxing.

DdlR
1/20/2010 8:43pm,
It sounds like he's reacting to GnP, in particular, from an ethical point of view. Yes, it's effective; yes, it's also more associated with schoolyard bullying and drunken carpark brawls than with sport. If MMA was restricted to kickboxing + submission wrestling I doubt that Chan (or too many others) would have a serious ethical problem with it.

G-Off
1/20/2010 8:47pm,
he probably views actual MMA as too violent because it looks violent

This, this, this, this, this. Again, not surprising.

karma2343
1/20/2010 9:13pm,
Back on topic though, he probably views actual MMA as too violent because it looks violent, eventhough as pointed out already, it is safer than boxing.
I think part of it is in the way the sport is portrayed. The cage, the imagery on the apparel, the tough guy audience often found by UFC, etc really contribute to an image more violent than the sport actually is.

honest_truth
1/20/2010 9:23pm,
I think part of it is in the way the sport is portrayed. The cage, the imagery on the apparel, the tough guy audience often found by UFC, etc really contribute to an image more violent than the sport actually is.

I agree with everything you said except the cage part, the cage isnt there for the tough looks but more for the fighters safety.

1st) it is easier for someone to topple over the ropes than over a cage, remember you can wrestle someone standing too, while in striking arts you cant do it for a prolonged period before the ref stops the fight.

2nd) when grappling on the ground and comming close to the edge you dont need a ref to constantly restart you from the middle again because you got entangled in the ropes.

The reason the japanese have MMA fights in rings is something about their sports commitee viewing fighting in a ring as sport, yet in a cage it is too brutal.

TheMightyMcClaw
1/20/2010 9:26pm,
Once again, someone fails to understand the concept of grappling, and that there's more to fighting then going back and forth trading spin hook kicks.

OiScout
1/20/2010 9:42pm,
YouTube- Jackie Chan Stuntmaster Interview (Funny Game) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV_dvuDPSR4)

Watch this from 2:23 onwards, and you will understand his viewpoints, yes, this is the bonus interview from jackie chan stunt master when you finish the game, and a really amazing game at it actually.

Quick summary: He doesn't like violence, but does like action. It's hard to have good action without violence. He's also not into bloody ****, gun fights, explosions, etc.

Theater performer thinks he is more in tune with what martial arts is about than MMA fighters...right.
You're cool and all Jackie, but you really need to STFU.

He needs to STFU? Someone asked for his opinion. He gave it.

karma2343
1/20/2010 9:53pm,
I agree with everything you said except the cage part, the cage isnt there for the tough looks but more for the fighters safety.

1st) it is easier for someone to topple over the ropes than over a cage, remember you can wrestle someone standing too, while in striking arts you cant do it for a prolonged period before the ref stops the fight.

2nd) when grappling on the ground and comming close to the edge you dont need a ref to constantly restart you from the middle again because you got entangled in the ropes.

The reason the japanese have MMA fights in rings is something about their sports commitee viewing fighting in a ring as sport, yet in a cage it is too brutal.
I agree completely with how useful the cage is, its just the average person hears about using a cage and, rather than rationally debating the merits of a cage vs a ring, they make an association with "cage fighting" and it givens it a negative connotation to John Q Public.

Dsimon3387
1/20/2010 9:57pm,
Some good comments from the peanut gallery! Yes the sport looks more violent than it is and yes boxing is more dangerous.

Yes the grappling is underappreciated as well. I understand Jackie's point of view Jackie is a performer not a fighter. He is in incredible shape and mind you... he does **** that a lot of MMA guys would piss in their pants if they had to do... but alas it is a different activity with different variables.

Eagle
1/20/2010 10:33pm,
I would have to say that Jackie is coming at the martial arts from a completely different mindset than the MMA crowd. Some still do practice the mysticism for mysticisms sake. Cant say good or bad, just different goals.