PDA

View Full Version : Yep, another noob!

captainzorikh
1/14/2010 1:46pm,
Hi folks, just discovered this website, though I have been amusing myself with some of the Bullshido YouTube videos for a couple of years now.

I consider myself to be more of a combat sport recreationist than an athlete or martial artist. I primarily do it for fun or to get something out of it in addition to the pure focus on the activity itself. For instance, I have been fighting in the SCA for about 23 years now, and some of the primary reasoins is because I love history, the concept of chivalry, and I think that medieval armor and clothing is cool to wear. I also enjoy the creative and social aspect of the club (the feasts, singing and dancing, building armor, creating art, drinking, partying, and enjoying the company of one's prefered gender, etc).

I have also studied stage combat and done plays and movies with it.

About 3 years ago I got into grappling through the fetish scene with my girlfriend (story for another time), and we started training in it and building a business around it together. We have gone our seperate ways, her and I, both in our use of it and intensity of training (we also broke up and are no longer business partners, but that's another story).

I am working on a movie built around submission grappling, and discovered many of its varieties and how it can be used as a physical movement vocabulary to tell stories as well as any form of movement or dance can. The "mainstream" martial arts (kung fu, karate, etc) have been accepted as a part of dance for decades, and the striking arts have been incorporated into the stage combat curriculum, so I feel that grappling, with it's growing popularity and potential for unique physical cooperation, has potential to be the Next Big Thing.

As a fighter I will admit a reluctance to engage in anything that will have a fist or foot contact my unprotected face (I like my nose exactly as it is, thanks), but with a protective helmet or mask, I will take my lumps with weapons or gloves, and while most every grappler I have ever seen at a tournament at my weight has been shorter, stronger, faster, quicker, more fit, more agresive, more skilled, and has greater endurance than me, I will step onto that mat and give you every effort to to win. My current record in grappling tournaments (including gi, no-gi, points, submission only, age restricted, and all adults) is 0-14-2 (but I showed up!).

Looking forward to learningand sharing more!

Stu-Jitsu
1/14/2010 9:44pm,
Nice spiel:)

What sort of grappling do you do?

Ha 0-14-2 is much much much better than 0-0-0, showing up in itself is to be commended.

Stu xD

MGM
1/15/2010 1:03am,
Your spirit is strong, better to compete and lose than to be a couch potato.

evol1349
1/15/2010 8:10am,
welcome.all the worlds a stage.enjoy.

captainzorikh
1/15/2010 10:14pm,
Thanks for your reply. I don't think I have studied enough to say that I actually do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, so I just say "submission grappling" and leave it at that. But I am looking hard at ways to afford training at a real academy or school here in NYC. There is noshortage of choices here, but I am currently working on a very limited income.

evol1349
1/16/2010 11:47am,
i hear ya.moneys tight all over.just a thought.do you have a locale ymca/youth center that mite have good affordable instruction?or see if you could work out a barter with a school/instructor you like.see if theirs something you can do for him/her in trade fore lessons.good luck.

Stu-Jitsu
1/16/2010 11:20pm,
NY Combat Sambo, of youtube fame, no less, seem like a pretty top place. However, got no idea what they charge.
Judo and boxing are usually the cheapest.

Stu xD

captainzorikh
1/23/2010 2:40pm,
Thanks! I'm currently working out with the Twin Towers Wrestling Club at the Hamilton Fish Rec Center run by the NYC Parks Dept. It's just $50 a year and you get to use all the facilities that that Parks Dept. has to offer. There is about a 60/40 split between "pin" wrestling and submission grappling/jiu jitsu, but many folks go both ways (don't think too hard about that one). It's kind of wierd seeing two guys on the mat and wondering why the one on top of the other guy's back doesn't just choke him out.

Those wrestling guys are awesome with their takedowns, though.

I have visited NY Jiu Jitsu and Ronin Athletics, the latter on recommendation of Bret Perchaluk, who is in my grappling movie. If it was closer, I would go to Lou Nogueira's dojo in Wolcott, CT. He's also in my movie and between him and Bret (and a guy named Sam who worked with us at the start of the project) we got a lot of good submission fighting in it. But it's about $50 round trip to get there and back.

There are some low-cost tournaments in the NYC area coming up. I'm going to start posting my training and performance at them in my blog at http://zorikh.blogspot.com/

TheMightyMcClaw
1/23/2010 6:57pm,
I consider myself to be more of a combat sport recreationist than an athlete or martial artist. I primarily do it for fun or to get something out of it in addition to the pure focus on the activity itself. For instance, I have been fighting in the SCA for about 23 years now, and some of the primary reasoins is because I love history, the concept of chivalry, and I think that medieval armor and clothing is cool to wear. I also enjoy the creative and social aspect of the club (the feasts, singing and dancing, building armor, creating art, drinking, partying, and enjoying the company of one's prefered gender, etc).

Welcome aboard.
I'm Bullshido's resident armorer, and it's nice to have another medieval-geek on board.
We've got a couple people around here who do various HEMA-type things, as well. You might want to check out the Western Martial Arts forum.

captainzorikh
1/24/2010 2:31pm,
Cool, thanks! I read some of the threads about WMA and the SCA earlier. It seems that some of the people who have the strongest opinions about the SCA are those who have spent just a little bit of time there and met just a few people who made a strong (and mostly negative) impression of them.

TheMightyMcClaw
1/24/2010 7:51pm,
Cool, thanks! I read some of the threads about WMA and the SCA earlier. It seems that some of the people who have the strongest opinions about the SCA are those who have spent just a little bit of time there and met just a few people who made a strong (and mostly negative) impression of them.

I had a pretty positive opinion of the fencers, and mostly found the SCA rules for fencing waaaay more fun than conventional rules.
Heavy weapons does seem to be kind of full of old fat guys, though.

captainzorikh
2/06/2010 11:37am,
SCA fighting is kind of funny that way. Aside from, maybe, golf, it is one of the few sports that you can be really good at without being "in shape." Most fights last less than a minute, and if you have "the perfect swing," most of your fights can be over in a few seconds. At its top levels, of course, the man with greater endurance will win out in a match of equal skill, but plenty of people get a thrill out of just plodding out there and slugging away, then at the end of the day, getting druink around the campfire.

But make no mistakes, the folks at the top level of the game got mad skilz! And some of them are old fat guys! The thing is, though, since we don't have skill or weight classes in most of our tourneys and battles, the top 10% are hard to spot among the 90% percent of everything which, as Harlan Ellison says, "is crap."

But go to a Crown Tourney or King's Champion tourneyor one of the bigger SCA fighting events like Pennnsic, Estrella, Icedragon, or Gulf Wars, and you will quickly spot the folks that you wouldn't want to see pick up a trash can lid and a pool cue in a bar fight!