PDA

View Full Version : New poster

NatsuTerran
1/03/2010 9:24pm,
Hey guys, new here. About me:

I'm 21 now, and started training McDojo Kuk Sool in my early teens. I later switched over to TKD, which made me think "man, what a waste of time Kuk Sool was!" Needless to say I'm now going through the same thing since joining an MMA gym which teaches almost exclusively BJJ.

Also, a quick question. I've started rolling with a friend of mine who is completely untrained, but weighs 240 lbs. I am 6'1 but weigh in at 170. I've found that this untrained opponent is about twice as hard to roll with as the other low ranks in my gym who are closer to my weight. Is this normal? No matter what I do I can't take him down with a single leg or sweep him when he stands in my guard. I realize he is going to have an advantage due to size, but at the same time I know that there's no excuse to not being able to grapple someone untrained. What should I work on to better handle larger opponents/ what is a quick and easy trick I could use that is high percentage on guys like this?

honest_truth
1/03/2010 9:50pm,
I think Ricardo De La Riva had a similar problem, bigger guys being agressive with him because they went to Carlson Gracies school.

so unless you are a newb who flops around like a fish and doesnt have any skills in open guard, ask your instructor if he can show you the basics of de la riva guard and how it is usually used.

there is no quick and easy trick to beating someone who has an advantage on you, only skill can, and this takes time to properly develop.

G0LG013
1/03/2010 9:58pm,
Hey guys, new here. About me:

I'm 21 now, and started training McDojo Kuk Sool in my early teens. I later switched over to TKD, which made me think "man, what a waste of time Kuk Sool was!" Needless to say I'm now going through the same thing since joining an MMA gym which teaches almost exclusively BJJ.

Also, a quick question. I've started rolling with a friend of mine who is completely untrained, but weighs 240 lbs. I am 6'1 but weigh in at 170. I've found that this untrained opponent is about twice as hard to roll with as the other low ranks in my gym who are closer to my weight. Is this normal? No matter what I do I can't take him down with a single leg or sweep him when he stands in my guard. I realize he is going to have an advantage due to size, but at the same time I know that there's no excuse to not being able to grapple someone untrained. What should I work on to better handle larger opponents/ what is a quick and easy trick I could use that is high percentage on guys like this?

Welcome.

I think your post would get a lot more hits in the basic technique forum but you're probably going to get some solid responses here as well.

On a side note, I wouldn't worry about the whole can't ruin a guy 70 lbs bigger than me. There is a purpose weight classes exist.

1point2
1/03/2010 10:09pm,
If you've only been training a few months, don't worry about not being able to house untrained guys who are much bigger or stronger. You'll get there.

The quick and easy trick is to bring your friend into the school and ask your instructor what you're doing wrong when you roll with him.

patfromlogan
1/03/2010 10:21pm,
How long have you been training?

BJJ MMA that is...

MGM
1/04/2010 1:07am,
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your training.

DKJr
1/04/2010 7:07am,
Welcome, where in Houston do you train? To answer your question mat time, mat time, mat time.

mrgoshthereturn
1/04/2010 11:28am,
As token short fat man at my club (I weigh between 224 to 238lb depending on the day) i am used to losing to smaller more skilled guys. On the plus i have rolled with guys that outweigh me and are bigger than me, and i have tapped them on occasion. Seriously it's all about the training.

A few suggestions from a beginners perspective are avoid full guard like the plague, you'd be better off transitioning to side control from half guard, or breaking contact unless your guard game is really advanced. A heavy guy can use his weight advantage to make life difficult for you just by lying forward in your guard and defending, you'll quickly get out of puff.

If you are underneath, go side on. It gives you some breathing room.

Heavier guys usually exhaust easier if you can get them to their back, De la Riva guard is excellent for setting up. Practice riding the mount and taking the back. All of this can be summed up in the above posts though, as it comes down to.....

Get more mat time.

evol1349
1/04/2010 11:39am,
greets.

Lu Tze
1/04/2010 12:19pm,
I've found that this untrained opponent is about twice as hard to roll with as the other low ranks in my gym who are closer to my weight. Is this normal?Yes.

Welcome to Bullshido.

NatsuTerran
1/04/2010 1:48pm,
I train east of Houston in an Elite MMA gym. I've only been going for like a month a few months ago. Had to quit due to a toe injury. And now I'm back as of two weeks ago trying to get as much mat time as possible.

It's not so much I'm dissappointed that I can't absolutely floor this guy. It's that techniques I have drilled in class that worked seemlessly against live resisting opponents my size do absolutely nothing against my friend.

Examples of this are the simple sweep from guard, where you place one knee across their chest, then kick their knee away with your other foot. Or this sweep for use when they stand in your guard. Your supposed to grab both ankles and then push your hips up with knees pinched. I basically can't get this **** to work for the life of me against him when it works well in class. It's embarassing as all hell when I screw this stuff up and end up vomiting 2 minutes later cause I'm out of shape.

patfromlogan
1/07/2010 12:11pm,
Vomiting is a sign of hard workouts, just make sure you don't dirty the mats.

You could try what they call "loosening" techniques in Hawaiian Kempo. If someone is strong or heavy and the techniques isn't working, hit them first to "loosen" them up. Something unexpected and shocking is best; backhand to the face, slap the groin, kick the shin, knuckle punch to the sternum, that kind of thing. Then do the technique.