PDA

View Full Version : Workout advice for out of shape noob

Pages : [1] 2

brenius
1/01/2010 3:45pm,
I just started kickboxing classes after more than 2 years getting fat and out of shape (grad school lifestyle, sitting at a desk all the time, eating out too much). The first class really kicked my ass and it looks like I won't be able to attend 4-5 times a week to start like I wanted to. But I want to get over this hump as soon as I reasonably can.

So I thought that on days that I don't feel up for a full-on class, maybe I could substitute some kind of reasonably low-impact workout that would at least keep me busy and help me get into shape a little sooner. I have access to a gym with all kinds of equipment so that's not an issue. Also I'm thinking I need to start stretching a lot more, cause my muscles feel pretty stiff right now.

Someone already suggested jumping rope, so I'm going to go pick one up today.

Any other advice or pointers to existing articles?

Thanks!

MGM
1/01/2010 7:00pm,
I shared your pain. My first month was painful, I had neglected flexibility and core training for many years and had to pay the price. I was also getting a variety of self inflected small muscle tears because I was muscling my through the moves and during the grappling.

Just keep going from one week to the next, after a couple of months your body will adjust. Patience is an underrated virtue.

Beorn
1/01/2010 7:05pm,
running, stretching, yoga, pilates. All are reasonably low impact and the last three will tremendously help with your flexibility, as well as being able to go at your own pace

mike321
1/01/2010 11:34pm,
Extra sleep. Helps recovery. I need to get in better shape this year and would like to start some serious workouts, but definitely need more sleep than when I am not working out.

honest_truth
1/01/2010 11:53pm,
also eat properly

cut out sugar, no more junk food for you Fatty Mcfatfat, eat more oranges, bananas and beef jerky, drink more milk and do burpees (google it)

i was in your place before, the only way out of this is through hard work, and try to make it to class 3 times a week, i was over excited when i first joined my club and burned out quickly, pick a sustainable schedule of training.

G0LG013
1/02/2010 12:04am,
also eat properly

cut out sugar, no more junk food for you Fatty Mcfatfat, eat more oranges, bananas and beef jerky, drink more milk and do burpees (google it)

i was in your place before, the only way out of this is through hard work, and try to make it to class 3 times a week, i was over excited when i first joined my club and burned out quickly, pick a sustainable schedule of training.

The beef jerky thing is a joke right? I mean it is good except for the deadly sodium levels. Better to eat chicken or some of those MegaUltraBars.

jspeedy
1/02/2010 12:52am,
also eat properly

Beef jerkey? Never heard that mentioned to someone looking to get n shape. Protein yes, lean beef yes, but heavily seasoned meats? If jerky is healthy this is news to me. I must go now I have to buy more slimjim stock.

brenius
1/02/2010 6:13pm,
Thanks everyone. I think I will try a little yoga because I am really not flexible at all anymore, and some jump rope for cardio. That should be convenient since I won't need to make it to the gym.

Now, just need to get into the habit.

TheRuss
1/02/2010 9:58pm,
jerky is healthy

With the caveats that you're not showing sodium-related hypertension and you're drinking enough water, anyways.

justsome
1/02/2010 11:45pm,
If you want a regimen that is going to allow you to drop in some kickboxing, and isn't going to murder you straight out the gate, get the book Core Performance by Mark Verstegen. There is quite a bit of stretching mixed in and you wont be lifting a ton of weights . A lot of great ideas at his site coreperformance.com as well.
A caveat: you will have to stop eating a lot of crap and cut down on alcohol consumption. Good luck.

honest_truth
1/04/2010 1:07am,
The beef jerky thing is a joke right? I mean it is good except for the deadly sodium levels. Better to eat chicken or some of those MegaUltraBars.

half joke, half serious.

My diet had sodium deficiency and i was always very light on seasoning to the point my food tastes bland to others, also have an average of 10~14 cups of water a day (from large mugs of sugarless tea), hence i used a sizeable amount of beef jerky as my go to snack instead of protien shakes.

so yes, if you are me, eat beef jerky.
Why so serious ? :binkybaby

G0LG013
1/04/2010 2:18pm,
half joke, half serious.

My diet had sodium deficiency and i was always very light on seasoning to the point my food tastes bland to others, also have an average of 10~14 cups of water a day (from large mugs of sugarless tea), hence i used a sizeable amount of beef jerky as my go to snack instead of protien shakes.

so yes, if you are me, eat beef jerky.
Why so serious ? :binkybaby

Just don't continue with this habit when you start getting near that hill.. I would recommend nuts. Put your nuts in a sack and carry around the sack. Then reach into your nutbag, grab your nuts and gobble them down every time you need to feed.

That didn't sound right, did it?

evol1349
1/04/2010 5:21pm,
mmmmmm grab bag o' nuts=)

TheRuss
1/04/2010 7:21pm,
Just don't continue with this habit when you start getting near that hill.

What habit is that?

Jumpy-Cat
1/04/2010 7:56pm,
sounds like you need to boost cardio (something all martial artist should do).

mind if i give you a few tips for a work out? I work in a gm and am doing my fitness instructure NVQ + competed in gymnastics and have done weight training so i got a fair veiw... (just in case you worried abotu me talking out of my ass ;) )

G0LG013
1/04/2010 9:53pm,
What habit is that?

Having jerky as a snack.