PDA

View Full Version : Help me not suck in 2010

madsox
12/31/2009 12:39am,
And yes, I mean that in the "My Martial Art Sucks" sense. So no more of thaat, ya fscking pervs! :tard:

Anyway, new years resolution this time is to get my lazy ass in gear, get some kind of training group together, get back in shape with contact included, then show up for some throwdown or other. Or make it to a Gathering of the Pack if I can manage that. Any of the above.

Formal school not required, just people to work with - punch, kick, grapple (I got a LOT to learn there), some stick and other weapon work, the range.

Maryland suburbs of DC are my home - central Montgomery County is realistically where I can get for practice (and that's when my work schedule isn't totally insane).

Anyway, happy new year to all!

Semper Fi,
madsox

1point2
12/31/2009 12:43am,
Hi. Good on you for the new year's resolution to get training.

Why not join a school?

madsox
12/31/2009 1:03am,
Hey, legit questions. Quick answers: Main one, I can't count on having time to commit to regular, formal classes. I don't want to sign up for something I won't be reliable at, takes time and space away from people who can be there all the time.

Second, I work better with the informality of a less-structured training group. I like leading one session, then being just a trainee for a few, trading things back and forth like that.

Third, there are only two decent places I know in my area (Evolve in G'burg and Yamasaki in R'ville), neither of whom do much weapon work that I know of. I definitely want to include various weapon combos in whatever I do (spent many years in FMA and various silat, most good, some half-assed, the "fighting includes weapons" rubbed off on me).

If I'm wrong, please correct me!

Plus I'm a cheap old bastard who doesn't need any more at this point than a free, informal group of friends wailing on each other can't develop. Get back up to speed, then I'll need a formal teacher again.

SF, and thanks!
madsox

1point2
12/31/2009 1:18pm,
Hey, legit questions. Quick answers: Main one, I can't count on having time to commit to regular, formal classes. I don't want to sign up for something I won't be reliable at, takes time and space away from people who can be there all the time.

Second, I work better with the informality of a less-structured training group. I like leading one session, then being just a trainee for a few, trading things back and forth like that.

Third, there are only two decent places I know in my area (Evolve in G'burg and Yamasaki in R'ville), neither of whom do much weapon work that I know of. I definitely want to include various weapon combos in whatever I do (spent many years in FMA and various silat, most good, some half-assed, the "fighting includes weapons" rubbed off on me).

If I'm wrong, please correct me!

Plus I'm a cheap old bastard who doesn't need any more at this point than a free, informal group of friends wailing on each other can't develop. Get back up to speed, then I'll need a formal teacher again.

SF, and thanks!
madsox

I would recommend joining a school and doing weapons work on the side with whatever informal group you feel you need. But the benefits of learning grappling or striking at a school are huge: better instruction, better (safer) facilities, better training partners, better feedback.

If it works even a little bit for your schedule, I would try joining a school. I'm not familiar with Maryland but I bet there's something that works for you nearby.

madsox
12/31/2009 4:31pm,
I would recommend joining a school and doing weapons work on the side with whatever informal group you feel you need. But the benefits of learning grappling or striking at a school are huge: better instruction, better (safer) facilities, better training partners, better feedback.

Absolutely. I know enough of the kickboxing and stick work to get beginners up to speed and train myself, but I'm fer sher getting me to a good school for that. I know enough to know that I do *not* want to try training grappling and/or groundwork myself.

Happy New Year!

afm

G0LG013
1/01/2010 2:28pm,
How about this: Join a school, talk to some of the students/instructors, form an informal group on the side, continue to train at the school if you like it. If not, stick with your group that you've made.

Variations CAN be made the above plan.

Happy New Year!:qleft4:

madsox
1/01/2010 4:18pm,
How about this: Join a school, talk to some of the students/instructors, form an informal group on the side, continue to train at the school if you like it. If not, stick with your group that you've made.

Yeah, that's pretty much the plan. Meet some people from each school if I can, go visit, get a feel for each one, see which looks better for me. I've done that routine before.

Later!

SF,
afm