PDA

View Full Version : to all who listen

Pages : [1] 2

studentcalm
12/30/2009 8:21am,
Hello,

This is my first attempt at posting something on Bullshido , but I am here to change that. First and foremost, I am not much of a martial artist because being rather short and fat, its hard to practice Shotokan with the high Maoashigeris, but I am a faced with a real dilema now. From where I belong a small backwaters city in India , I currently have four choices of martial arts to choose from:-

1) Shotokan Karate,

2) Sports Judo,

3) Aikido,

4) Krav Maga,

The last being quite expensive here, considering that I am around 24 and short and fat and not possesed of great physical courage or stamina what art would you suggest, to boost my moral regarding Self defense?
:hello:

Whathappened
12/30/2009 8:44am,
I would recommend Judo, however, check for sparring ruleset. Some dojos just want to collect "rent money" if you get my point.

Also, don't rely on Martial Arts to condition or trim your fat. That's what gym membership is for. The arts you listed aren't exactly cardio or anerobic intensive.

maofas
12/30/2009 9:03am,
Being short and round is practically an advantage in Judo, focus on that imo.

Depending on whether it's a good school or not, you might pick up some useful tools from Shotokan though. There's no advantage to being short in a striking art, but one should learn to close distance very quickly and safely which is a good skill for a short guy who does Judo to have.

In the end though, getting in better shape is part of self-defense. Stick with something and your body will adjust over time.

liuzg150181
12/30/2009 10:11am,
Also, don't rely on Martial Arts to condition or trim your fat. That's what gym membership is for. The arts you listed aren't exactly cardio or anerobic intensive.
Judo drills can be cardio intensive..........

Whathappened
12/30/2009 10:34am,
Judo drills can be cardio intensive..........

It really depends on the instructor no?

hungryjoe
12/30/2009 10:50am,
studentcalm,

We're listening.

Another vote for judo.

Welcome to the site.

liuzg150181
12/30/2009 11:01am,
It really depends on the instructor no?

Dunno abt US, but so far in Singapore I've been to 2 judo clubs, both are rather cardio-heavy, especially doing uchikomi and randori(newaza is rather ok).

ADD:Oh yes, and "mat swimming" as well, though I dont really know the exact term for it.

Adam Alexander
12/30/2009 12:46pm,
...what art would you suggest, to boost my moral regarding Self defense?

The one that deals with the attacks you fear.

I think what happens is that, initially, we have a vague feeling of fear. We fear, but don't know what. As you train, you're confronted with an opportunity to explore the cause. You ask questions like "what do I do if this happens?". You train to overcome that, come up with something else, train for that and the process continues and your confidence grows. That, at least, was/is my experience.

However, if you asked "which would make me<i> competent</i> in a self-defense situation," I wouldn't comment.

Whathappened
12/30/2009 12:51pm,
Dunno abt US, but so far in Singapore I've been to 2 judo clubs, both are rather cardio-heavy, especially doing uchikomi and randori(newaza is rather ok).

ADD:Oh yes, and "mat swimming" as well, though I dont really know the exact term for it.

Lol I am from Singapore if you look at my location field. Now I don't feel so alone. Do PM me the addy of the Judo club you've been to. Cheers.

Ming Loyalist
12/30/2009 1:03pm,
judo

/end thread

danniboi07
12/30/2009 3:39pm,
Judo, but first drop that term "Sport." I don't know your personal ideology of it all, but as a heads up don't think that as a sport it isn't a real martial art or not applicable in self-defense.

WhiteShark
12/30/2009 4:59pm,
Anyone say Judo yet? Seriously short and fat = deadly in judo! Also, throwing people on their head is great for self defense.

liuzg150181
12/30/2009 7:19pm,
Lol I am from Singapore if you look at my location field. Now I don't feel so alone. Do PM me the addy of the Judo club you've been to. Cheers.

U r not alone, I notice there're more Singaporeans here since I joined several years back.

Anyway,check ur PM.

liuzg150181
12/30/2009 7:23pm,
Judo, but first drop that term "Sport." I don't know your personal ideology of it all, but as a heads up don't think that as a sport it isn't a real martial art or not applicable in self-defense.

AFAIK,"Sport Judo" might refer to judo being trained specifically for competition like Olympics games, which means usually they dont have or little groundwork training.

alex
12/30/2009 7:27pm,
im an athletic, v shaped, normal height guy with above average strength, when i did judo i got my ass handed to me by short fat guys on a regular basis.

do judo.

CrackFox
12/30/2009 7:46pm,
Every judo club I've been to involved heavy aerobic and intense anaerobic work.