PDA

View Full Version : Question about Muay Thai/Mini introduction

GinZen
12/29/2009 8:06pm,
Hi Bullshido,
I'm 16 and come from the UK around the manchester area and i currently do Aikido (yes aikido),Karate and Judo.
Since coming to this website i see all the need for aliveness and practicality in martial arts which i seem to not be getting much of apart from Judo i guess since it has real sparring.

Aikido is not very realistic but i enjoy it but would prefer to stop it and my karate is very good apart from the fact that we barely do any padwork or sparring, in the 7 months of my experience with them i have only done about 3-4 Padwork classes and a few more sparring classes, we do quite alot of one step sparring and at the moment are working on distancing and when to strike but no free sparring lately which is still only tap striking and it is hard to test myself with this and without padwork i can't test/develop my power accordingly.

I'm definitely not a victin of mcdojo'ism but i really want some real modernised system, judo is brilliant and alot of fun but i can only do it on friday nights for 1 hours otherwise i would do it alot more.

So i just stumbled upon a Muay Thai gym near me when cruising the internet a few nights ago: http://www.peles-gym.com/ and as soon as i asked my dad if i could stop my karate and do this instead he insisted that it is "like proper boxing and is very dangerous" and "I dont want you to get bruised or hurt" or "you'll get kicked and hit in the head"

I had asked twice now and he says that i can't discuss it anymore and my mother thinks it is better to do karate instead until im 18 and can do what i want (by then im definitely checking out the SBGi MMA gym in town if i go to Uni there) but im just asking for you guys opinions on this and i love martial arts and just want to not waste my time and do a real hard martial art with practicality instead of developing habits of karate with all the Kata and the only lessons i really enjoy anymore are the sparring/padwork.

To end this long post could you guys give me your opinions on this and if my parents really are correct. The problem i guess is im abit to old for the kids class and bit too young (would probably be the youngest of the adult class) but i'm not afraid of that but i'm from more of a richer background and my parents are probably abit protective since im rather intelligent and have A's lined up in my exams.

Thanks for reading and i await your responses.

alex
12/30/2009 2:45am,
i'm from more of a richer background and my parents are probably abit protective since im rather intelligent and have A's lined up in my exams.

well i had giardia for 2 of my formative years so while i have big hands and big feet and a big cock, im only 5'10. yes i get a lot of comments. i also run a successful business bringing in over 50k a year and have just bought my first property, and am 23 years old. although really, my dad bought it through our trust fund for me and i pay the mortgage because he earns way the **** too much money in the aussie deserts working on oil rigs.

wait this isnt the "how big is my cock" thread? **** sorry. anyway you could do what i did, which was secretly start doing muay thai instead of kung foooo. costed less so i used the extra money to pay for weed. my dad is an old school karate guy so he was keen on me getting a black belt in kung foooo, but after he realised how much more ass beating i could do after starting MT he changed his tune (hes irish so how much his sons can beat someones ass is an important matter for him)

edit- you could also try getting your parents to come along and watch a class. unless they are douche bags, they should appreciate that it involves a lot of discipline and fitness etc and might make em change their minds. if not, go with my first idea.

PointyShinyBurn
12/30/2009 6:36am,
Is there really nowhere else you could train more Judo instead? You could try BJJ as a good complement to Judo that doesn't involve getting hit. See if there's a club near you on here: http://www.slideyfoot.com/2000/01/uk-bjj-club-list.html

GinZen
12/30/2009 9:00am,
Is there really nowhere else you could train more Judo instead? You could try BJJ as a good complement to Judo that doesn't involve getting hit. See if there's a club near you on here: http://www.slideyfoot.com/2000/01/uk-bjj-club-list.html

I looked but they are all in the centre of manchester and im in the towns on the outskirts but in 2 years if i go to university in the middle im definitely checking out the MMA gym and doing the bjj/mma stand up classes :D

There also isnt a judo club close to me either apart form the one im at.

I will try what alex said and ask then if they will come and watch a class to see what it is like but when i get a car in about 10 months i could go to Muay Thai without then knowing anyway ;)

honest_truth
1/03/2010 9:40pm,
Hi Bullshido,
I'm 16 and i'm from more of a richer background and my parents are probably abit protective since im rather intelligent and have A's lined up in my exams.

Hi GinZen

I'm 21 and from a poor background, my parents were quite okay with me getting into fights in my area, although i kept fights out of school and graduated with a 93% average, got into a university on an entrance scholarship which i have since lost because i spent my first year in different girls dorm rooms screwing and getting compliments on my 7.5 inch cock (this is a dick bragging thread, right ?), but since mended my way to fooling only on the weekends and got mostly A's last term in senior year.

oh, and if parents ***** out on MT then do Kyokushin karate if you have to learn striking for now, or you could concentrate on judo and add wrestling or BJJ

patfromlogan
1/03/2010 10:58pm,
Sounds like your karate is really really sucky. If parental units only want karate for you, then Kyokushin is a good choice. It actually is VERY similar to Muay Thai in training methods, and some of the Kyokushin Aussie dojos do trips to Thailand for a week or weeks long training in MT to supplement the karate stuff.

Perhaps parental units won't notice it if you change from kata oriented bullshit karate to knock down hard contact karate; after all, it's all called karate.

excludedmiddle
1/04/2010 5:17pm,
Since you're still in high school, DO WRESTLING. Ever since I got a bit more realistic about martial arts, I've regretted spending so much time doing karate instead of wrestling in high school.

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
1/04/2010 6:25pm,
Hello GinZen

Here's the adres of a Kyokushin Dojo in Manchester:
A new Kyokushin club opens from Friday 2nd of October, address , Manchester Academy( next to Whitworth Park), Moss lane east, 7pm.
Days Wed and Fri 7pm
details . 07551935876

And to convince your parents to switch from Karate to Kyokushin:
Sing this as a mantra to them, over and over again:
"Mom, Dad, Kyokushin is still karate, but more like Muay Thai, but head punches aren't allowed, so it's still safe for me"

Personally, it would also be better for you, since there aren't head punches allowed in competition (you learn them well) and yet spar and spar to really learn fighting.

Hope that this can assist you,

have fun, train safe,
Zendo

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
1/04/2010 6:30pm,
Since you're still in high school, DO WRESTLING. Ever since I got a bit more realistic about martial arts, I've regretted spending so much time doing karate instead of wrestling in high school.

He lives in the United Kingdom (aka England), there is no scholestic wrestling in High School.
The closest things they have to martial Arts are Rugby (not American Football-kind), Soccer and Cricket (but a Cricket bat is great for self-defense, even if I say so myself :icon_twis).