PDA

View Full Version : Personal Dilema, please help!

elipson
2/08/2004 4:28pm,
Ok so here's my prob. I've been training at a Jiu-Jitsu school for more than 2 years now ( www.combat-art.com ), and everything is good and all, but I'm a college student, and that means I'm broke as ****! So this month I wasn't able to pay club fees :( It's only like 50 bucks, which is a sweet deal for what they offer, but I can't even make that!

So here's the problem. I prolly won't have money for next month either, but my college has a free aikido club. Should I join?

They would prolly have many similiar techniques, so it would be a good way for me to stay in practice, but it's Aikido!! do I want Aikido? They do like no sparring, crappy stances, and no kickboxing. Should I just go and see what I can learn?

Oh ya, there are no heavy bags and the gym on campus to work on either!
Believe me, I bring this up everytime I go in.

Deadpan Scientist
2/08/2004 4:34pm,
Get a job you lazy bum.

I can't believe I wasted my 5000th post on this thread...

by-the-throat
2/08/2004 4:57pm,
Why not take both? I mean, I'm the last person to nutride on aikido...I took a semester of it, and I didn't learn much I could use...but the breakfalls are really good and if nothing else it's good excersize. As to the cost...well, honestly, if it's worth taking it's worth paying for though I've found some jiu jitsu schools love to break your balls on this one.

elipson
2/08/2004 4:58pm,
I have a job punk, it puts food in my belly and gas in my car!

I feel so special now, I was Brand 5000th :D

elipson
2/08/2004 5:01pm,
nonon Throat, you missed my point. I don't have 50 bucks to spare! at all. I have 100 bucks right now until next pay day. And my car is on E and my fridge is baren! And I'm now in the hole 1000$ to my parents for this semesters tuition.

HAPKO3
2/08/2004 5:04pm,
Talk to them. You may be able to work something out, being a dedicated student of two years and all...

bunyip
2/08/2004 5:06pm,
Explain your situation to your instructor. But you should know that $50 for BJJ is damn cheap. I'm looking at $150 for 3x a week.

katana
2/08/2004 5:57pm,
It sounds like you'll get what you pay for at the Aikido club. I suggest you eat Ramen noodles and use the food savings to pay for the other place.

DRD
2/08/2004 8:03pm,
Ugovolnic, read your PM.

elipson
2/08/2004 8:13pm,
They just moved locations and are in debt big time because they went over budget. Prices are going up too; 60$ for students, 80$ regular. It's a damn good price to pay for unlimited training. I talked to the Sensei and he said I should bring 50$ next time I came in. He didn't say it in a bad way or anything, but they're tight on cash too. I got the impression he wouldn't let me train for free as they have had ppl try that before and stiff them. I'm also considering just taking some time off and getting some decent marks at school, but I hate doing that. I live to train.

I watched an Aikido demonstration earlier this year (a prof at school runs it), and it was kinda surreal. It looked very much like what we did, but with the volume turned WAY down, if that makes sense.
I might just check out a class this week and talk to the instructor. If they spar it might be ok.

Budd
2/08/2004 8:43pm,
Also, check and see if any of the aikido students have any judo or wrestling background. You might be able to set up an informal grappling group, just to keep your skills sharp in that arena.

jhearne
2/08/2004 9:42pm,
While I'm at college, there are no schools in this area that I'd be doing any good to train at. So, I do what Budd is advising. I have an informal group of friends and fellow-students who train with me. I stay sharp by sparring two or three times a week with some fellow martial artists. We also attract non-martial-artists or guys who think they're hardcore and want to show us how great they are. So, we roll two or three times a week and average 4-10 people a session. It's worth trying and it can be very helpful to stay sharp until you can come to a more economically feasible situation.

bunyip
2/08/2004 9:43pm,
Get a tutoring job. They tend to pay around $20-$30 an hour if you've got good qualifications. Tutor some rich highschool student once a week and get unlimited BJJ for a month - sounds like a good deal to me.

Jenfucius
2/08/2004 9:50pm,
yeah, get a job, *****. i'm sure the pizza store needs another delivery guy.

Budd
2/08/2004 10:16pm,
If you're going the informal route, the key is to have at least one guy that has enough experience that he can teach you basic techniques and drills properly. Then just follow the progressive resistance model and add in some randori/free sparring/grappling so that you have a live environment to work out your stuff. Some tips on conducting the randori are:

1. Encourage the better guys to keep trying for different moves rather than relying on just one or two techniques -- this will a) round out their game AND b) hopefully be necessary as they grapple with people of different body types and ability levels -- this will also help the newbies to get better faster. Encourage the inexperienced guys to play both offensive and defensive, so they get an understanding of how the dynamic will change with each type of mindset.

2. Emphasize conditioning and relaxation. You can be in great shape, but still gas if you are overly muscling everything. Conditioning will give you the extra juice and reserves to keep going.

3. If you can raise funds, try and invite good judo players and wrestlers to come give clinics. If they're not charging an arm and leg on the expensive seminar circuit, there's a good chance that you can cover any travel expenses and give them a monetary honorarium, which if you have enough people chipping in, can be a lot less expensive per person.

blankslate
2/09/2004 1:00am,
I'll send you some money.

PM me your real name, address and phone number.