PDA

View Full Version : Taekwondo has the deadly...?

Pages : [1] 2 3

chingrish
12/06/2009 11:27pm,
I used the search button and couldn't find anything on this...kinda sad but seems like Taekwondo indeed has the d34dly and is too dangerous to spar. Although i don't see how the organiser's could have really done anything to prevent it from happening. Anyone else know of any casualties from TKD or points Karate tournaments etc.?

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_401727.html

IT WAS only his second taekwondo competition and 17-year-old Vincent Tan was fighting an opponent two belt levels above him.

Barely a minute into the sparring match last Sunday, his slighter-built opponent, who had a brown belt, gave Tan a kick in the neck which ruptured a main blood vessel to his brain.

Tan, who held a green belt, was seen fumbling with his head guard for a few seconds before tumbling onto the ground.

First aid was immediately given to him, but he never gained consciousness. He died on Thursday afternoon in hospital.

The polytechnic student's death has now prompted the People's Association (PA) to suspend all taekwondo competitions while it reviews the procedures usually undertaken in such events.

'We are reviewing our processes to see if any improvements need to be made. In the meantime, we have suspended all taekwondo competitions pending the review,' said a PA spokesman. The police are also investigating.

PA said the competition, held at the Kampong Kembangan Community Club, was organised by the Greenville Residents' Committee and Singapore Taekwondo Gymnasium (STG). It had attracted more than 180 participants and was scheduled to run from 9am to 9pm, but was later cancelled.

All participants were required to wear safety gear, including head guards, and were given a safety briefing before their bouts.

PA said Tan lost consciousness at about 9.30am, and certified first aid workers from St John Ambulance Brigade, Alexandra Hospital and the Red Cross immediately attended to him while an emergency ambulance was called. He reached Changi General Hospital about 20 minutes later, with Vivian in the ambulance.

His distraught mother, Madam Nur Julia, said she cannot accept her only son's death and wants answers from the organisers.

Demon Eyes
12/07/2009 12:21am,
Well, it certainly is tragic. However, allow me to be the first to say "Keep your hands up."

King Sleepless
12/07/2009 1:11am,
I've broken more bones belonging to other people in TKD than in any other contact sport I've done.

I've even broken a girl's jaw twice. Same girl. Same spot.

TKD is dangerous.

animlmthr
12/07/2009 1:46am,
I've broken more bones belonging to other people in TKD than in any other contact sport I've done.

I've even broken a girl's jaw twice. Same girl. Same spot.

TKD is dangerous.

why you be breaking girl's jaws and ****, Sirc, err, Sircmas?

Sley
12/07/2009 1:49am,
I didn't know you could rupture a blood vessel and die from being kicked in the neck, strange.

Keeze
12/07/2009 2:57am,
That sucks... I've never even heard of a kick doing such a thing. I was kicked in the neck quite a few times back when I did TKD. I guess I don't realize how lucky I was to survive. I'm not sure how I feel about this article.

P Marsh
12/07/2009 3:43am,
Welcome to the wild world of the seemingly randomness of physics. Kick probably landed on just the right spot at just the right angle to apply enough power to do that kind of damage. People can die from falling from standing height and survive 16 car pile ups, **** gets weird.

King Sleepless
12/07/2009 4:39am,
why you be breaking girl's jaws and ****, Sirc, err, Sircmas?

Because in sparring gender means nothing.

Also there's a little blackbelt convention I used to attend that they only separated you by age: minors 17- and adults 18+.

So I sparred girls, and broke their jaws.

DarkPhoenix
12/07/2009 6:23am,
So I sparred girls, and broke their jaws.

You are all man, Sirc.

Things like this happen in Martial Arts competition. That is one of the reasons why there is a waiver to participate. The idea at a TKD tourney is to literally take your opponents head off. If you get kicked in the neck in the proccess, it's all part of the game.

MMAMickey
12/07/2009 6:31am,
We all agree to enter these fights.. we must accept the consequences

kodiak
12/07/2009 7:54am,
I think TKD moves are not that dangerous its just that just like what i saw on the last olympics.... My reaction was WTF! Because i saw that the competitors does not use their hands in effective blocking and their hands are just hanging not even in a guard

And maybe thats why this guy died because he did not block the fucking kick
id rather have a broken arm than a popped blood vessel in the neck that can stop the blood flowing in your head.

I guess we should face the fact that every MA should be taken with precaution specially in tournaments .

MMAMickey
12/07/2009 8:25am,
I think TKD moves are not that dangerous its just that just like what i saw on the last olympics.... My reaction was WTF!
When I read this my reaction was WTF! how can you say a move that kills someone is not dangerous?

Because i saw that the competitors does not use their hands in effective blocking and their hands are just hanging not even in a guard

So What? If you are wearing a bullet proof vest, or behind bullet proof glass, does that mean that bullets are not dangerous?

And maybe thats why this guy died because he did not block the fucking kick
duh

Whathappened
12/07/2009 12:15pm,
The 45 upward swing is a killer when it lands directly on the exposed jugular just under the jaw. My guess its the same choke out spot of the RNC. Its one thing when its steady pressure of a RNC, when its a high velocity roundhouse kick landing squarely on the jugular however ...

Of course, the odds of such an event happening is quite really, is more than 1 in a billion. Of all the kicks to the head thrown everyday by brawlers/tkd/karate/wushu/gangsters/etc, this one kick had to land at the right angle and force and location to pop this poor boy's jugular.

It is a freak accident like getting struck by lightning in a cafe in downtown Dubai while getting a blowjob from Lindsay Lohan.

MMAMickey
12/07/2009 12:45pm,
.. but tkd kicks are still dangerous, more than a few people owe a lack of consciousness to them

Jimmai
12/07/2009 1:01pm,
So What? If you are wearing a bullet proof vest, or behind bullet proof glass, does that mean that bullets are not dangerous?

I wouldnt consider something that isn't going to hit me to be dangerous, so while you are correct I don't think this is the correct analogy to use.

Maybe now TKDka's will learn to put their hands up.

MMAMickey
12/07/2009 1:44pm,
I wouldnt consider something that isn't going to hit me to be dangerous, so while you are correct I don't think this is the correct analogy to use.

Maybe now TKDka's will learn to put their hands up.

I think it is the correct analogy.. just because you have a defence to it (ie. hands up / bullet vest) it does not mean that the thing in question does not have the potential to cause massive damage, and therefore means that it is still dangerous, despite you being safe from it this time