PDA

View Full Version : Grappling reminders

kultist
12/06/2009 11:40am,
I keep getting frustrated, because I go to my rolling sessions and immediately afterwards I get one of those really obvious epiphanies, which aren't really epiphanies because I've had them before (just after a rolling session, of course). What I need is a list of things to remember so that I can pin it to my bedroom door and look it over before I go to the jits. I've had two revelations today, and I'd love to add more from you guys:

1) It's not competition night, dumbass
2) Stop spazzing out and do something productive

MMAMickey
12/06/2009 11:45am,
1)You often have more time to think than you'd realise
2)position over submission

Jcbal93
12/06/2009 12:09pm,
1) Tap when the heel hook is locked , no need to fight it once they are already torquing it.
2) Tuck in your chin when going for leg takedowns.

fanger123
12/06/2009 12:32pm,
1) Tap when the heel hook is locked , no need to fight it once they are already torquing it.

i suck at takedowns, but i recall an instructor say something in the line of "when striking, keep your chin down. when just doing grappling and going for a takedown, keep your head straight"

what to wrestlers do when shooting for leg takedowns?

AlphaFoxtrot51
12/06/2009 12:34pm,
what to wrestlers do when shooting for leg takedowns?

Get choked...

Pojac
12/06/2009 2:39pm,

Can't say I agree. I've always been taught that keeping your head UP is the way to avoid guillotines when shooting for a double, and it's worked for me (as long as I keep good posture, of course). Sounds counterintuitive, I know, but there it is.

Jcbal93
12/06/2009 2:53pm,
When you keep your head up its really hard to get guillotined too. When I shoot for doubles and forget to do any of those things I get caught in a guillotine. Most of the time I get out though... Also , gotta remember to not let them pull guard when they catch you in the guillotine.

AlphaFoxtrot51
12/06/2009 3:08pm,
When you keep your head up its really hard to get guillotined too. When I shoot for doubles and forget to do any of those things I get caught in a guillotine. Most of the time I get out though... Also , gotta remember to not let them pull guard when they catch you in the guillotine.

If someone throws a guillotine into my takedown, I usually just step outside and that ends that.