PDA

View Full Version : Cost of BJJ lessons

Pages : [1] 2

zxxvii
12/04/2009 2:08am,
Hello gang,
A week and a half ago I found out about the existence of a BJJ gym in El Paso, TX (www.gracieelpaso.com (http://www.gracieelpaso.com/) thanks to David Koresh Jr).
Through their website it seems like they share training facilities with a San Soo gym www.elpasosansoo.com (http://www.elpasosansoo.com/) (same management).

I phoned them to learn about their prices. A guy named Paul told me that they wouldn’t usually discuss prices before prospects try a few free training sessions. I insisted, so he said that they charge $160 a month.

Looking at their website they seem to have 4 instructors:

“DJ Blackwell has been training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for eight years, and is currently a 2nd Degree Brown Belt under Phil Cardella (Relson Gracie Black Belt), and Relson Gracie.”

“Paul Schroeder
Born in Oneida, New York in 1973, Paul was raised in Moreno Valley California where he started training in Kung Fu San Soo at the age of 13 .Paul now holds his 8th Degree Black Belt in the San Soo Discipline. Has 10 years experience in Wing Chun. Currently a Purple Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under the Relson Gracie Association”

“John Parker: 3rd Degree Blue Belt, has been training and competing in Jiu-Jitsu, and Kickboxing for over three years, and now teaches the beginners classes.”

“Eddie Espino: Currently a 3rd Degree Blue Belt has been training, and competing for three years now, and teaches the beginner classes.”

The facilities appear to be very nice through their website (and the kung fu place's website).

I’d like to know what the average going rate is for BJJ lessons. Personally, I find $160 a month quite high; especially if I take into account the $27 a month I pay for Judo lessons. I was willing to train in both gyms, but I feel one of them to be a bit on the overpriced end.

Is $160 (give or take) a month what you guys usually pay?

Thanks.

Bill

SaintHamish
12/04/2009 4:45am,
Welcome to Bullshido.

Depends on how often you plan to attend classes and what you goals are....It appears that there highest ranked instructor is a second degree brown...

Have you taken advantage of their free lessons offer? Could be the best way of deciding for yourself wether or not the price being charged is an honest one.....

jnp
12/04/2009 9:10am,
$160 is pretty high for a brown belt. I live in Austin where the cost of living is higher. I train under a second degree black belt and unlimited training is $120 a month.

DSL
12/04/2009 10:23am,
Also, an interesting use of 'degree' instead of 'stripe'... trying to make it sound the same as a degree of black belt?

danniboi07
12/04/2009 11:13am,
My school charges $160/mo for unlimited sessions. I could train BJJ up to 6 days a week. That's a deal. If they're charging you that for only 2 days a week, then I say it's a bit much.

Iainkelt
12/04/2009 11:37am,
I currently pay 90 a month for 3 classes a week (plus open gym times) and access to the weight room etc. I'm not sure how much more it is for unlimited classes, but for strictly the grappling side of the gym I definitely don't think it would be more then 120 or so. But also keep in mind that I live in the Twin Cities where there are more choices for gyms than you apparently have.

joecos
12/04/2009 12:11pm,
I currently train with a Rolls Gracie 6th degree blackbelt, classes available six days a week, two or three classes a day, depending on the day. I am in one of the most expensive places in the US to live (Fairfield County, CT). Cost is $125/month for unlimited classes.

I know that Renzo charges well over $200/month for training in NYC. $160 a month is pretty high, considering where you are and that the classes, at least at the beginning, will be taught by bluebelts.

Keeze
12/04/2009 12:44pm,
My school charges $120 per month, but gives discounts for 6 months or 1 year memberships, and since I live in a college town, they also give extra discounts to us poor students from the university. So maybe they have discounts such as those which may apply to you. Also, they just charge a mat fee (much cheaper) for someone who only comes 2-3 times a month or so.

Maybe you could do your Judo, and pay a mat fee to visit the BJJ school once a week or so? If I were you, I'd take advantage of the free lessons and talk more with the school's owner about pricing. They might even work out a deal with you on the financial end if that $160 is too much.

Also that $120/month means that I get 4 days a week of 2 hour instruction as well as an open mat to train on for 5 (sometimes 6) days out of a week.

Lindz
12/04/2009 2:12pm,
Did you know that judo is effective, cheap and widely available? It also teaches some of the same skills as bjj and also a lot of the skills you're gonna want but probably won't get from bjj.

slideyfoot
12/07/2009 3:12pm,
I've been a member of five BJJ schools so far.

I started at the Roger Gracie Academy (http://www.slideyfoot.com/search/label/Roger%20Gracie%20Academy), in London. That was easily the most expensive, though London is also a pricey place to rent space. To get unlimited classes per month was £90 for white belts and £100 for blue belts. If you could actually make all those classes (at least two a day, every day, except Sunday) that wasn't too bad, but most people (including me) don't have that much time or fitness. Single classes were very expensive: £18.

Next I was at RGA Kilburn (http://www.slideyfoot.com/search/label/Roger%20Gracie%20Academy%20Kilburn), an affiliate, also in London. That was £80 per month, again for unlimited, IIRC.

That was followed by Nova Forca (http://www.slideyfoot.com/search/label/Nova%20Forca) in Epsom, Surrey, another relatively expensive area of the UK. I can't remember if there was a monthly fee, but I paid £10 per class.

The cheapest was the fourth club, Combat Athletics (http://www.slideyfoot.com/search/label/Combat%20Athletics) in Coventry. It was in a fairly rundown area, so I'm sure the rent was far lower than London. Unlike the other clubs I've just mentioned, this was run by a blue belt, affiliated to John Will. He charged £5 a class.

I'm currently at another RGA affiliate (http://www.slideyfoot.com/search/label/RGA%20High%20Wycombe), this time in High Wycombe (not as nasty as Coventry, but still less than pleasant, especially the place where the gym itself is situated). The instructor there is a brown belt under Roger, and he charges £40 a month. That gets you four nights a week, I think, but the Wycombe location only runs four classes over two nights (though speaking personally, that's enough for me). For the others you'd have to head up to Aylesbury, which for me would be a train ride away.

burpy
12/07/2009 3:14pm,
holy crap! i´m staggered to learn what you lot are paying for lessons in the states. here in spain i´m paying 110 euros for three months bjj and muay thai, 5 nights per week. in my previous club in Granada i paid 25 euros a months for 3 nights per week from a De La Riva black belt. Unless you´ve got money to throw around, i would consider sticking to the judo classes

zxxvii
12/07/2009 3:26pm,
Hey Burpy,

Hell of a deal you guys get there...... makes me wish spending the summer in Spain. I'd call it training holidays

JohanSon
12/07/2009 3:39pm,
Where I train it costs 60 euro per month (classes every day, sometimes twice a day) or 150 euro per 3 months. All clases are led by BJJ black belt. You can also train boxing and muay thai, but you must pay extra for it; I'm not sure how much, but I think it's 100 euro per month (BJJ+boxing+muay thai)

Lindz
12/07/2009 4:09pm,
I pay $225 for six months of judo. That would buy at most 2 months of bjj in this town.

Franco
12/07/2009 8:34pm,
I pay £5.00 for hour and a half session every friday taught by a brown belt (Ill have to remember his name on day)

Often other belts (blues and purples) come down with him.

I don't think I could afford to train BJJ full time but £5.00 a week isnt to bad its the same price of around 2 pints of beer.

I often think about taking up Judo with a £3.00 odd class fee it does sound quite good, but with BJJ costing £5.00 and MMA/gym costing £42 it all starts to add up fast.

Mahendra99
12/07/2009 9:33pm,
Wow, you guys in the US get hammered. In Oz, I only pay either AU$10 per lesson casually, or about AU$120 (I think) per semester (so 6 mnths) for 4 nights per week...

Saying that, we train with a high blue, not a purple, brown or black, could have a lot to do with it. Meh, trainings training.