PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of / seen Wing Chun's Samuel Kwok

Matt Tower
12/03/2009 5:27am,
Not a Wing Chun man but this looked interesting as it's the only video I have seen of a live instructor that makes Wing Chun look effective. Obviously it's still a demonstration video but it looks like it might actually work.

YouTube- Samuel Kwok Wing Chun fighting applications DEMO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDnm0YiNfcA)

Does anyone know more about this guy, I heard he studies with the sons of Ip Man, but that doesn't mean it's effective.

It is Fake
12/03/2009 5:42am,
That is a demo. Demos are made to make anything look effective. Sorry, this isn't staying in the CMA forum.

Kambei Shimada
12/03/2009 5:55am,
No, i trained with him for a couple of weeks back when i did the Chun.
He is one of the better Wing Chun instructors out there but its still just standard compliant WC training and claims of the 'd3adly' mixed in with your typical pseudo-science.

Kovacs
12/03/2009 6:09am,
No, i trained with him for a couple of weeks back when i did the Chun.
He is one of the better Wing Chun instructors out there but its still just standard compliant WC training and claims of the 'd3adly' mixed in with your typical pseudo-science.

I'd echo that. We had him as a guest instructor at seminars when I did the Chun in the late 90's, he was okay as far as the Chun goes, didn't have much to bring to the party but he wasn't a complete idiot either.

1point2
12/03/2009 8:45am,
This was actually the first video that really convinced me that the Chun was absolutely, completely, terribly worthless. I laughed and laughed and was telling people about it for days.

Let's review: It's one-sided. It's compliant. The student taking the punches knows that he's supposed to fall down at a certain point in the technique--he certainly isn't being punched hard enough to fall down, with or without headgear. Furthermore, since when is "falling down" an average response to a non-knockout punch? People shell up and turn away before they fall down.

All this video proves is that if you know exactly what your partner is going to throw, and they know that their job is to throw it half-heartedly then get hit and fall down regardless of how hard they were hit....you'll look like you know what you're doing to 90% of the population.