PDA

View Full Version : Renzo Gracie tells it like it is

Pages : [1] 2 3

chinaboxer
12/02/2009 1:08pm,
Renzo Gracie opened his place in New York while the Gracie Family set up shop in Southern California many years ago, to avoid the family politics, but has since been shunned by certain Gracie family members. Renzo speaks very candidly about his Family, his opinions and let's loose his pent up feelings about what he feels Gracie Juijitsu has turned into.

You cannot miss this podcast...you can download it at the link below or read the transcript as well...

http://thefightworkspodcast.com/2009/11/29/renzo-gracie/

MMAMickey
12/02/2009 1:49pm,
I'm just surprised thats not a link to your website

Res Judicata
12/02/2009 2:09pm,
I love that guy and miss training there.

jnp
12/02/2009 2:51pm,
Renzo Gracie opened his place in New York while the Gracie Family set up shop in Southern California many years ago, to avoid the family politics, but has since been shunned by certain Gracie family members. Renzo speaks very candidly about his Family, his opinions and let's loose his pent up feelings about what he feels Gracie Juijitsu has turned into.

You cannot miss this podcast...you can download it at the link below or read the transcript as well...

http://thefightworkspodcast.com/2009/11/29/renzo-gracie/
chinaboxer, there is no technique in your thread. Therefore it doesn't belong in the technique forums. What is hard to understand about that?

I have cut you more slack than I would another person because I'd rather err on the side of tolerance. That ends now. Continued failure to follow forum guidelines will result in infractions or a ban on certain areas of the site. This includes linking to your site. This post is your only warning.

Roidie McDouchebag
12/03/2009 2:02am,
In reality, I see this crap today, “this is the real jiu jitsu”…let me be honest, I see jiu jitsu now turning into Krav Maga. Turn into kung fu! Like they are selling things that will chop your head in half, with a karate chop.

You know, its become a joke. Let me tell you what the real jiu jitsu is: the real jiu jitsu is the one that doesn’t back away from a challenge. It goes at the obstacle and defends its flag. It’s like, if you want to claim that you have the best fighting style, you should be in the UFC kicking some ass. That’s where the best competition is.

So when people call me, saying “this is the real jiu jitsu,” the next thing they are going to say is “I cannot use it, because I could kill you!” [laughs] You know, that’s what I heard my whole life, from those fake martial artists who claim they were better than everybody else. So believe it my friend, I live my whole life watching this and seeing this. We were always against that, and now suddenly one branch of my family is turning into that! It’s claiming that, but doesn’t go on the proving ground to prove it, does not step into the place where he should actually be representing jiu jitsu, to do it.

This is an awesome quote.

King Sleepless
12/03/2009 2:19am,
Is he talking about Royce?

Kid Miracleman
12/03/2009 2:31am,
Goddamn, I'm starting to respect Renzo quite a bit more after reading that transcript. I've always found him to be a bit of an arrogant, short-tempered dick to care for him much, but his comments I've read so far regarding Rorion and the state of "Gracie Jiu-Jitsu" (tm) are right on the mark.

I have a feeling Renzo would feel right at home here at Bullshido.

Kid Miracleman
12/03/2009 2:37am,
Is he talking about Royce?
Rorion, actually. Renzo also has some "tough love" remarks regarding his cousin's young 'uns:

One thing I feel sorry about, is Rorion’s kids. They are very good kids, but their father feeds them nonsense. So, they could be unbelievable fighters, but they are going to end up as mediocre fighters, mediocre people. They are going to go through life as great businessmen. If I was them, I’d be selling self-help books, that’s what they should be doing. There is more money in that, instead of claiming that they are real fighters.

To be honest, if I today was Rorion, I would sign up my kids at Gracie Barra. I would put his kids to train there, so they could reach the top of their potential. Right now, they’re in an environment where they will be nobody, they’re going to be nobody for the rest of their life. Let me tell you one thing, I do believe in a spiritual world, and when you are born with the Gracie name, you have an obligation. You have to fight, you have to teach, and you have to influence people in the right direction.
So, if you start selling crap to people, if you start selling this, then chances are you’re going to fade, you’re going to disappear. You may fool one or two for a little bit, but you cannot fool everybody all the time. That’s the reality, you know.

Awesome sauce.

King Sleepless
12/03/2009 2:48am,
I think that part about proving yourself is a little jab at Rickson.

Bustardo
12/03/2009 2:52am,
You know, I've told a few top level BJJ players about this site and they fucking love it. They just lurk.

Franco
12/03/2009 2:54am,
Whats this mean in the long term though, isnt there allready like a divde between BJJ and GJJ and GJJs thinking BJJ is not teh real?

So now GJJs guys think GJJ and BJJ is not teh real?

King Sleepless
12/03/2009 2:59am,
Isn't Gracie Barra like really mcdojo'y though?

KiwiPhil889
12/03/2009 3:51am,
If its all as bad as Renzo says?? then won't it eventually just be weeded out?? if its taken into the ring?? then the fights will prove its worth.

Labelling something with "BJJ" or "Gracie" is trendy. It might go the way of Systema,which IIRC is veryyyy hit 'n miss with quality.

Franco
12/03/2009 4:07am,
If its all as bad as Renzo says?? then won't it eventually just be weeded out?? if its taken into the ring?? then the fights will prove its worth.

You would think it would be weeded out, but if you look at the majority of martial arts this is not the case.

I allways thought BJJ would be immune to this type of bull due competition and its history for BJJers to accept any challenge with little to no rule set, looks like i was wrong.

slideyfoot
12/03/2009 9:11am,
I allways thought BJJ would be immune to this type of bull due competition and its history for BJJers to accept any challenge with little to no rule set, looks like i was wrong.

This has been discussed at length in the MABS Gracie Combatives thread (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82251) (even more babbling in my review (http://www.slideyfoot.com/2009/08/dvd-review-gracie-combatives-rener.html#sportvssd)), but in short, the core of BJJ efficacy is resistance training, tempered by competition. Gracie University removes that requirement, having created a dubious distinction between 'self defence' GJJ and allegedly inferior 'sport' BJJ: in my opinion, that is largely down to marketing.

This in turn shifts GJJ onto the level of a thousand 'self-defence' courses which rely on compliant drilling. Rener and Ryron teach those compliant drills extremely well, but they are fairly meaningless if you never take the next step: trying those same techniques against somebody who is doing their best to stop you. In other words, sparring.

As long as BJJ continues to place resistance training at its core, I don't think the sport will ever get truly watered down. However, the continuing success of Gracie University could potentially result in the kind of split that's been mentioned before (such as Yrkoon9's classic posts, here (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showpost.php?p=341873&postcount=73) and here (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showpost.php?p=341939&postcount=79)).

On the one side, effective, pressure-tested 'sport' BJJ, while on the other, compliant, ineffective 'self defence' GJJ, espoused by a load of 'street' blue belts who have never tried their technique against a fully resisting opponent (having said that, the Master Cycle may well rectify the problem, as I'm told sparring will be incorporated at that stage).

edtang
12/03/2009 11:39am,
Isn't Gracie Barra like really mcdojo'y though?

Not any more than many other independent (for the lack of a better term) BJJ academies.