PDA

View Full Version : First Post -- Wudang Mountain?

Pages : 1 [2]

It is Fake
12/11/2009 9:59am,
One other thing dude. If you are genuine about going to the PRC and spending your time and money as you say you are, then think of this.Oh no.

Firstly, try to study as much Qigong at home before you go, bear in mind that there are many aspects and styles to Qigong.Right at home study? You do know where you are at right?

I studied 'soft,hard,soft' Qigong for a few years in Fujian under one of the great white crane Grandmasters. The Wudang styles I were taught do not compare.

Uh oh sales pitch. Look Qigong is Qigong. It is how it is taught that makes a difference. I never thought I'd see a "who has the best Qigong" post.

Also, when you get to Wudang, if you intend to stay for a long time, ie a year or more as I did, do not pay everything in advance... pay for 3 months, this keeps the school keen to keep you happy - by that I mean teach you well.They should teach you well regardless of 3 months to one year of training.

Let's be real go to a seminar in the US. If you have enough money to waste, going to China, you can spend less than fourth of that money at a Seminar in the US.

wudangtiger
12/11/2009 11:49am,
yes, i agree...to a point. if you misunderstand me then let me elaborate.
1. the qigong we were taught in wudang consisted mainly what i would call 'waxing on and washing off', breathing in at one point and breathing out at another - we've all seen the karate kid right?. we can all do that at home...we can all learn basics without travelling far.
2. the qigong i studied elsewhere (not mentioning any names through fear of being accused of advertising, or saying that my qigong is better than yours), was a combination of reverse abdominal breathing and releasing energy at certain times... stance work was important as was stretching. the excercises were gruelling but the benifits myriad, it was and still is an incredible workout and good physical training. the two styles did not compare.
I assume that you must have trained in china to have posted your reply... and so i am sure that you must be aware there are some excellent practitioners here, just as there are bad ones too... i have come across both types. the advice to pay with caution, ie. not all at once and in installments was sound. written for 'Beast' who said that he is looking at coming to the PRC to study qigong for the first time.

Ming Loyalist
12/11/2009 11:55am,
1. the qigong we were taught in wudang consisted mainly what i would call 'waxing on and washing off', breathing in at one point and breathing out at another - we've all seen the karate kid right?. we can all do that at home...we can all learn basics without travelling far.
2. the qigong i studied elsewhere (not mentioning any names through fear of being accused of advertising, or saying that my qigong is better than yours), was a combination of reverse abdominal breathing and releasing energy at certain times... stance work was important as was stretching. the excercises were gruelling but the benifits myriad, it was and still is an incredible workout and good physical training. the two styles did not compare.
I assume that you must have trained in china to have posted your reply... and so i am sure that you must be aware there are some excellent practitioners here, just as there are bad ones too... i have come across both types. the advice to pay with caution, ie. not all at once and in installments was sound. written for 'Beast' who said that he is looking at coming to the PRC to study qigong for the first time.

dude. so yourself a favor and read *all* the stickies on the chinese martial arts forum, and probably the stickies in any forum that you want to post in.

your ideas are not as original as you think they are, and you can save IIF and i a lot of time and effort if you just read the damn things, and decide if you have anything to actually add to the discussion here.

It is Fake
12/11/2009 2:23pm,
Seriously? You used the Karate Kid as an example? Funny how he learned all of that WITH A PRIVATE INSTRUCTOR. Even if it was a Movie. HE DID NOT DO IT BY HIMSELF.

Did we watch the same movie? Or are you one of the Kung Fu flick wathcers that ignores all of the training, sparring, abuse, and time passage in a Jackie Chan movie? Remembering only that it took a few days and the guy was an expert?

2. the qigong i studied elsewhere (not mentioning any names through fear of being accused of advertising, or saying that my qigong is better than yours), was a combination of reverse abdominal breathing and releasing energy at certain times... stance work was important as was stretching. the excercises were gruelling but the benifits myriad, it was and still is an incredible workout and good physical training. the two styles did not compare. Yes, you did just post "I have the real" Qigong.

I assume that you must have trained in china to have posted your reply... and so i am sure that you must be aware there are some excellent practitioners here, just as there are bad ones too...

Now we get the you must go to china excuse.

Why fly to Japan, to drive A Camry when, there is a dealership right down the road? Maybe you are misunderstanding me. He can try it here for much cheaper and see if it is worth the investment.

i have come across both types. the advice to pay with caution, ie. not all at once and in installments was sound.No sound is try before you buy. You are telling someone who knows nothing to leave his home country, pay as you go, and see what happens. This is in opposition to saying hey go spend a few hundred dollars (travel expenses) at a seminar?

Really? Are you serious?

He is a self taught qigong practitioner. What he does in his home, most likely incorrectly, is not the same as being instructed.

written for 'Beast' who said that he is looking at coming to the PRC to study qigong for the first time.You do know this is a forum right? You do know it doesn't matter who your post is directed at, anyone can comment?

Go read the rules and quit throwing out red herrings. You do know there are good and bad teachers everywhere right?

Sri Hanuman
12/11/2009 2:33pm,
Wudangtiger, this wouldn't be Yu Xuande or Zhou Xuan Yun's group that you were talking about, would it?

Sri Hanuman
12/12/2009 1:00am,
It is, isn't it?

Beast1989
12/13/2009 9:23pm,
Yes the school you are looking at is good. It is in Wudang town itself and the Shifu not only is a good teacher but speaks good English so there is no comunication problem. The school is well established and many western students can be found there. Sorry you did not consider me to be credible... good luck with your training.

I'm sorry, my comment was a little tongue and cheek. When I said that I did not feel you were credible it was because you were not giving the name of the school. Flawed logic, I know.

I appreciate the advice from everybody saying that I should take the time to learn a little bit here in Canada first. As I have said previously, I learned a modified version of "Eight Pieces of Brocade" from a book. The forms are easy to practice and have helped me tremendously because I do not have the time to attend a Yoga studio or anything like that on top of my other training. My main question was always whether or not the school is worthwhile. I am well aware that there are some cheaper ways to gain similar practice, however, I have never been outside of Canada before and would like to spend time abroad doing something that will benefit me in ways that backpacking around a country would not. Right now I am a recent graduate from high school. Instead of blowing my personal savings on a post-secondary program that I am not interested in I have decided to try something like this.

As you suggested, I plan to pay for a 3 month period at first and that will probably be it. For awhile now I have been in contact with the instructor and he seems to be a genuine enough person. He says that there is not much of a progressive conditioning program because of the students who have different amounts of time to stay, so I will hopefully be bringing a copy of "Convict Conditioning" with me to build more strength with calisthenics.