PDA

View Full Version : Intro.

Pages : [1] 2

Reversal~
11/18/2009 7:58pm,
Hey all,

I've been checking this site out for awhile now, so i decided to register.

Anyways, things about me.
-I'm 15
-I really suck at sports. (baskbetball, football, baseball, etc etc.)
-I have low self-esteem
-I don't have much friends
-I love to read books
-etc etc

Basically, I'm a loser and, a loner.

So, i took boxing (4 months now) + BJJ (2 sessions + on-going), hoping to get better while making more friends and, to start feeling good about myself.

wish me luck guys, and hope to be acquainted with all of you !

PizDoff
12/01/2009 6:35pm,
Welcome.
How is training going now?

v1y
12/01/2009 7:24pm,
keep it up man.

where are you training?

MGM
12/01/2009 9:45pm,
Good luck and stay steady with the training.

TheMightyMcClaw
12/01/2009 10:23pm,
Hey all,

I've been checking this site out for awhile now, so i decided to register.

Anyways, things about me.
-I'm 15
-I really suck at sports. (baskbetball, football, baseball, etc etc.)
-I have low self-esteem
-I love to read books
-etc etc

Basically, I'm a loser and, a loner.

So, i took boxing (4 months now) + BJJ (2 sessions + on-going), hoping to get better while making more friends and, to start feeling good about myself.

wish me luck guys, and hope to be acquainted with all of you !

As a former fifteen year old loser and loner, I'll give you two pieces of advice: be self-confident and be affable. Surliness will alienate people faster than anything else.
You've chosen well. Combat sports are an excellent way to boost your self-image. Exercise also tens to boost one's overall mood, which in turn makes one more likeable.

Adam Alexander
12/02/2009 1:10pm,
I'm assuming that you posted it for comment. Being that I can relate, I shall. Things I wish someone had told me, but like all advice, take it with a grain of salt. The advisor has no vested interest:

-I'm 15.

Don't believe anyone who tells you things are different when you get into the real world. Adulthood is adolescence with more hair, more responsibility and bigger consequences. But the people are all the same.

-I really suck at sports.

I discovered for me that it was lack of practice.

-I have low self-esteem

I found that when I stopped measuring myself by other people's standards and started measuring myself by how productive my day was in meeting my goals, I began holding myself in good esteem.

You will discover that, like anything, there is an inverse relationship between quantity and quality.

-I love to read books

Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" is as true today as when it was written. I read it when I was 20 and applied and benefitted from it immediately, before I completed it.

-Basically, I'm a loser and, a loner.

If I said that to myself, I would ask,"what is it that makes me a loser and am I all that unhappy with that characteristic?"

If you chase down the reason that you feel that way, then you might discover that you're quite happy with being a so-called loser.

-So, i took boxing (4 months now) + BJJ (2 sessions + on-going), hoping to get better while making more friends and, to start feeling good about myself.

Sounds like the best decision you could have made.

Good luck... And... wear sunscreen.

KO'd N DOA
12/02/2009 3:03pm,
Hi Reversal~

Welcome to Bullshido..

Just have fun, tell yourself that. There are very few people on BS who would not have wanted to have started one of those core arts when they were your age.

Note: your definition of what losers and winners are will change often over your life, don't get stuck in a rut.

tideliar
12/02/2009 5:17pm,
Welcome to Bullshido Bro. Good luck with training and keep it up. It will do a lot for your self-esteem and self image. And trust me, 15 sucks, but doesn't last forever. :)

Reversal~
12/07/2009 7:52pm,
Hey guys, thanks for welcoming me. ^^;

training is really good !
i feel awesome, even when im getting my ass handed to me while rolling.
i was even finally able to submit people that joined the same time as me,
people in my gym are really helpful, so everything is going great.
im also gonna start muay thai soon, so wish me luck guys !

i train in 'mississauga elite', apparently we're a part of team nova uniao too.

Nwp
12/07/2009 10:39pm,
Be strong of mind young padawan for your journey has only just begun. And you are certainly more similar to the many than the few. You need to know our society is not gentle on the esteem, and its all hyper marketed to make you feel incomplete without the newest wonder widget we all want. But what do we need? Water, wonderbread and women, everything else is incidental and a blessing (or a pain in the ass, as the dark is incumbent to the light). Your training will bring u closer to you, and that is the key, or chi?

SaintHamish
12/08/2009 5:31am,
Welcome to Bullshido Reversal....Dont be so hard on yourself dude, your only young, you will catch up......

Train hard and train smart.

Lu Tze
12/08/2009 5:35am,
Welcome to Bullshido, keep up the good work.

Adulthood is adolescence with more hairHahaha, yeah right.

:(

Adam Alexander
12/08/2009 12:46pm,
Hahaha, yeah right.

:(

Don't I know it. If I let myself go for a month, I morph into my super-hero alter ego Captain Unibrow of the Gorrilla Arse people.

galois
12/08/2009 1:04pm,
...Don't believe anyone who tells you things are different when you get into the real world. Adulthood is adolescence with more hair, more responsibility and bigger consequences. But the people are all the same...

This is not true. As you get older two things will happen.

1) You'll become less awkward.
2) The people around you will be less prickish.

There are two main reasons for 2). The first is that grown ups are often in greater control of their social circle, so they are much more likely to get to hang out with people they actually like. Secondly, teenagers are often bastards. There are medical reasons for this; parts of the brain associated with empathy often do not fully develop until the early twenties. So when you are no longer a teenager you'll often find that some total douches have become actually quite nice people. You won't necessarily become best of friends, but for the most part adults feel less of a need to publically humiliate each other, or at least they need more provocation to do so.

Adam Alexander
12/08/2009 1:29pm,
This is not true.

Your post illustrates my point. It's always about egos.

galois
12/08/2009 2:35pm,
Your post illustrates my point. It's always about egos.

How so?