PDA

View Full Version : Moving north to St. Louis Metro East next fall

Austin89
11/10/2009 11:19am,
Hello everybody. I suppose I best introduce myself first. My name is Austin. I am a big guy (6', ~350lbs but trying to drop that). I am a 19 yo college student. I currently live about 75 miles from STL. I am planning on transferring to McKendree University next fall which is about 20 miles outside of St. Louis (IL side).

I have no experience in Martial Arts but I am extremely interested in taking classes. I have a few interests. Those mainly consist of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, and MMA. I was wondering if anyone know of any good schools in the area?

I'd prefer not to drive more that 30 miles/45 minutes if I could help it as I am a college student so money/time is important.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

KO'd N DOA
11/12/2009 4:46pm,
Hey Austin89,

Welcome to Bullshido. Trusting that you are finding some of what you were looking for. I'm not familiar with the St. Louis area, however any of those styles you mentioned should bring out those who might no.

I know your only 19, but with your size you might want to ease into things and don't over do the workout. Your joints will thank you.

All the best.

KO'd

Austin89
11/15/2009 8:13pm,
Hey Austin89,

Welcome to Bullshido. Trusting that you are finding some of what you were looking for. I'm not familiar with the St. Louis area, however any of those styles you mentioned should bring out those who might no.

I know your only 19, but with your size you might want to ease into things and don't over do the workout. Your joints will thank you.

All the best.

KO'd

Thanks for the reply. I do plan to ease into it. Nothing to heavy, too quick.

BackFistMonkey
11/15/2009 8:21pm,
Thanks for the reply. I do plan to ease into it. Nothing to heavy, too quick.

According to my calculations you are (now) pretty close to where I am moving from (western ky) .

Welcome to Bullshido , and yeah take it easy to work the weight you want off ... slowly . There good gyms in the S.L. area shouldn't be an issue to find one that suites your needs ( some great Judo there too ) .

Good luck .

Austin89
11/16/2009 11:09am,
According to my calculations you are (now) pretty close to where I am moving from (western ky) .

Welcome to Bullshido , and yeah take it easy to work the weight you want off ... slowly . There good gyms in the S.L. area shouldn't be an issue to find one that suites your needs ( some great Judo there too ) .

Good luck .

I'm probably not too far away. Where are you from? Also, thanks for the reply.

Don Gwinn
11/16/2009 2:05pm,
Not really very close to Kentucky, but not too far from STL. McKendree is in nearly beautiful Lebanon, IL.

McKendree might have a martial arts club. Belleville isn't too far away if you have a car, and it has a great judo club where we used to hold St. Louis throwdowns. Matt Hughes has his H.I.T. Squad gym in Granite City, just barely on the Illinois side of the river. That's a longer drive if you live at McKendree. Cross the river and you have lots of options in the St. Louis area, including MMA and BJJ gyms, Judo, and probably boxing and kickboxing, though I don't know.

I'm about an hour and a half north of you and a similar size to boot, so if you ever need anything, let me know. There are Bullies across the river in St. Louis, too.

Don Gwinn
11/16/2009 2:08pm,
Oh, just a warning--on the Illinois side of the Mississippi, traffic is pretty open. Anything that requires going to the St. Louis side near St. Louis requires factoring in the traffic. And if you drive on the freeways around St. Louis, remember that fortune favors the bold.
If you pick a gym in St. Louis, just understand that you're volunteering for the traffic and there's no hazard pay.

ZenOfAnger
11/16/2009 2:32pm,
You could try Guidrytraining: 1428 North Broadway
2nd Floor
St. Louis, MO, 63102
314.660.4820 Don't know how far that is from where you are in Illinois.

http://www.guidrytraining.com/

According to their website classes start at $75 for one art (BJJ, muay thai, boxing), up to $150 for all three plus access to gym equipment. You could also try White Dragon judo in Overland, MO (again, not sure how far away that is from you), or Kirkwood judo, but I think Kirkwood judo is probably the furthest away from you.

A quick google search should suffice in showing which schools are closer to you.

Sincerely,

ZoA.

Austin89
11/16/2009 2:38pm,
Oh, just a warning--on the Illinois side of the Mississippi, traffic is pretty open. Anything that requires going to the St. Louis side near St. Louis requires factoring in the traffic. And if you drive on the freeways around St. Louis, remember that fortune favors the bold.
If you pick a gym in St. Louis, just understand that you're volunteering for the traffic and there's no hazard pay.

Haha. Yeah, I know how traffic is in the STL area. I've drove it several times and I am not a fan.

I have read around and noticed Rodrigo Vaghi has an affiliate gym run by one of his former students name Mike Rethmeyer. Does anyone know about this place: BJJ Lifestyle Academy (Belleville Jiu-Jitsu).

TomMack
11/16/2009 6:02pm,
I'm not from St Louis but I know Joe Craig of APEX training center you might want to check it out http://www.apextrainingcenter.com/default.aspx

rangerdavy
11/16/2009 7:22pm,
I absolutely cannot recommend Vaghi or one of his affiliated schools enough.

http://www.submissionjiujitsu.com/

http://www.stcharlesmma.com/

They're extremely talented teachers as well as great guys. The main Vaghi school (listed first) has BJJ and Muay Thai taught by a professional. The St. Charles School is BJJ with a heavy lean on MMA, taught by Black Belt Mike Rogers. Training with team Vaghi was absolutely worth the money (I have since moved to Idaho, which made training in STL a wee bit harder).