PDA

View Full Version : I got my ass handed to me at BoxFit on Saturday night.

DarkPhoenix
11/08/2009 10:35pm,
On Saturday night, I had my first submission grappling match, and learned that I have a long way to go before I can start winning.

My opponent was a wrestling coach and an instuctor at BoxFit here in LI. He is a great wrestler and I was clearly outclassed by him. As a judo brown belt, I had a lot of confidence in my ground skills, as it is about 50% of my training. I was sadly mistaken. I have no problem with other Judoka on the ground, but a BJJ blue belt, with a wrestling background, proved way too much for me.

First round was a no-gi match that ended in about 45 secs, with an ude-garami.

Second round was a Gi match, which I felt a little bit better about, but I couldn't keep from getting taken down. And once on the ground, he kept trying for a choke, but couldn't get one, so about 1:30 into the last round, he finally slapped on the juji-garami and I had to tap.

It was a great experience and I ma looking forward to doing all over again, but winning the next time.

Thanks to LIGuy for the opportunity.

1point2
11/08/2009 10:59pm,
Way to step up.

Have you read the Ode to the BJJ Blue Belt thread?

DarkPhoenix
11/08/2009 11:12pm,
Not yet, but I plan on it.

vinhthekid
11/08/2009 11:14pm,
? what thread is this?

Lindz
11/09/2009 12:25am,
Do you think there's anything that if you had worked on it a bit more would have changed the outcome?

SaintHamish
11/09/2009 12:44am,
Do you cross train with BJJ or sub-grappling?

DarkPhoenix
11/09/2009 12:46am,
Do you think there's anything that if you had worked on it a bit more would have changed the outcome?

I think if my ground skills were where I thought they were, I may have not lost so quickly. His transitioning from one position to another was just amazing. I really need to get into better shape as well as his conditioning was just so much better than mine was. There were quite a few factors that lead to my loss, all of which will be addressed.

The factors that I can think of are:

1-Conditioning- I need to drop weight and get into better shape, and round isn't a shape.

2-Takedowns- I couldn't do anything about them in my current state. He came from inside with them and i didn't even see them.

3-Newaza- I need to do more of it with better players, be they BJJ, Judo, or Sambo. They way he was able to get control so quickly had me overwhelmed.

I just have to practise more.

Do you cross train with BJJ or sub-grappling?

No cross training as of yet. I am looking into doing that when time permits. My sensei is looking to get us cross-training in BJJ and Sambo.

SaintHamish
11/09/2009 4:11am,
1-Conditioning- I need to drop weight and get into better shape, and round isn't a shape.

I have learnt first hand just how crucial conditioning truly is, there is nothing worse than losing due to lack of stamina and fitness.....

My first MMA instructor would harp on about conditioning non stop at training, saying stuff like becoming superhuman, I never really appreciated the relevance of it until I was destroyed by a less skilled but in better shape opponent during full contact.....

The good old ego takes a nasty blast as well...

DarkPhoenix
11/09/2009 4:22am,
I have learnt first hand just how crucial conditioning truly is, there is nothing worse than losing due to lack of stamina and fitness.....

My first MMA instructor would harp on about conditioning non stop at training, saying stuff like becoming superhuman, I never really appreciated the relevance of it until I was destroyed by a less skilled but in better shape opponent during full contact.....

The good old ego takes a nasty blast as well...

Less skilled this guy was not. :-) I wasn't gassed out which was good, but he was just better than me in all aspects. I am glad I did it, and I intend on doing it again. I have a few judo shiai coming up that I have to train for, and this will just be another thing to work for. I think this loss will only make me stronger and fight harder the next time.

I am just waiting for video so I can see how badly I lost. :-)

crappler
11/09/2009 9:59am,
It was the wrestling that did it. In my experience, significant wrestling experience is always the largest obstacle to getting your opponent in a position where you can submit them.