PDA

View Full Version : So I won a krotty tournament

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

TrueKarateKid
11/07/2009 7:46pm,
....And have become extremely disillusioned with my style as a result. I agree that point sparring isn't the best way to do things, but I felt for awhile that if done with enough aliveness and contact, it could still be an effective way of fighting.

And then I fought in the tournament today. Only one match, as there was only one other guy in my age/weight/belt catagory that actually had the balls to spar instead of dance around with kata. Spent the entire match getting pushed around by the other guy, ate a number of kicks and punches, got run off the mat twice, and just about fell over from kicking into the other guys guard....

and then won.

Won because I got lucky in the last .5 seconds of the match and got a 2 point punch which barely beat out his 1 point from earlier.

I will put up a video of my epic failing once I can locate the cord I need to hook up my camera to my computer.

So, should I commit seppuku or quit krotty and try and find salvation in.... something else (I was going to say boxing, and then remembered the only boxing school near me doesn't do sparring).

On a more related note to my match, what is generally the best way to deal with guys who just charge forwards, and who eat anything you throw at them?

Holy Moment
11/07/2009 7:57pm,
On a more related note to my match, what is generally the best way to deal with guys who just charge forwards, and who eat anything you throw at them?

Double-leg takedown. But in the context of a karate tournament, if this was only point-fighting then wouldn't his ability to absorb punishment not be that big of a deal?

JBliss
11/07/2009 8:02pm,
.... (I was going to say boxing, and then remembered the only boxing school near me doesn't do sparring).

Then this is not a boxing gym, this is a school that teaches Guido's and douchebags how to dance to house music.

i will sum up the bulk of the responses you will likely get on this forum:

Train with aliveness (contact)

as in:

Wrestling
Judo
Sambo
BJJ

and

Boxing
Muay Thai
Full Contact Karate ( Enshin, Kyokushin, Seido )
San Shou/ Sanda

when put together the techniques of these practices fall under the category of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) of which there are many reputable training facilities and instructors all over the world.

Congratulations on your victory and your refusal to drink the point sparring kool aid. Feel free to submit promising gyms/ schools in your area for peer review/ opinion and after visiting please write up a review for the archives and benefit of all.

Peas.

BackFistMonkey
11/07/2009 8:04pm,
....And have become extremely disillusioned with my style as a result.

Spent the entire match getting pushed around by the other guy, ate a number of kicks and punches, got run off the mat twice, and just about fell over from kicking into the other guys guard....

and then won.

Won because I got lucky in the last .5 seconds of the match and got a 2 point punch which barely beat out his 1 point from earlier.

Ok well at least you seem to be able see the difference in fighting and tag . Which is a hell of a good start .

Try picking up some Judo or maybe some generic Kickboxing . Either way you might find the methods enlightening .

colonelpong2
11/07/2009 8:05pm,
[QUOTE=TrueKarateKid;2256448I was going to say boxing, and then remembered the only boxing school near me doesn't do sparring).

QUOTE]

WTF kind of boxing gym doesnt spar??!??!??!!??:angry4:

TrueKarateKid
11/07/2009 8:20pm,
WTF kind of boxing gym doesnt spar??!??!??!!??:angry4:

I talked to a guy who did some training there awhile ago. According to him, it's less of a real gym, and more of a clinic, where boxers go, prior to competitions to brush up on their technique, stamina, etc. It just also happens to run regular classes there too.

Which, from my understanding are about an hour and a half of warming up, drilling on bags and mitts, and cooling down.

Ian G.R.
11/07/2009 10:06pm,
YouTube- Joe Esposito - You're the Best Around (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qae_TUTeGo)

Larus marinus
11/07/2009 10:20pm,

Monkey steals the peach FTW.

henshinx
11/07/2009 11:37pm,
hmm what about joining a full contact karate tournament? I dont know if theres an enshin school near you but enshin tournaments are usually open to any school

TrueKarateKid
11/08/2009 12:04am,
hmm what about joining a full contact karate tournament? I dont know if theres an enshin school near you but enshin tournaments are usually open to any school

So far I've been unable to find any. There was a tournament with what seemed to be a contact sparring event about 2-3 years ago (at the very least, they were in full body pads, so I assume it was contact), but as for Enshin.... I have yet to locate an actual school. I'm still looking around.

I do know there's a kickboxing/MMA place that's literally two buildings down from a drama studio I'm a member of, and conveniently, class starts around the time I get out of the studio. I was actually planning on taking a look in on it, to see if I could fit my budget around it (which is pretty tight atm).

ADM
11/08/2009 12:39am,
Have a look for Kyokushin if you're interested in full contact Karate tournaments. That or Kickboxing (there will ALWAYS be a kickboxing thing near you, at least anywhere I've been they've had it around).

TrueKarateKid
11/08/2009 2:45am,
Anyways, I finally located my camera cord and uploaded the video.

Enjoy my sh*tty fighting abilities.

YouTube- Karate Tournament match (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn3s_D4M_pg)

(If you really can't guess which one I am, I'm the one getting his ass kicked*)

*If you can't tell which one's getting his ass kicked, you either need glasses or probably do Aikido, or something.

colonelpong2
11/08/2009 3:22am,
Truekaratekid, I really appreciate this thread.

You understand that the points stuff is totally unrealistic. That is a step many people cannot make.

I remember many, many years ago when I was about 15.
My club, the club I started with and spent about seven years with, was Goju Ryu.
But what I didn't appreciate until I moved towns to go to university was that it wasn't the norm for the system.
It was a very open minded club. Many of the senior members cross trained in all sorts of things and were encouraged to share their knowledge and methods.
When I tried out other Goju clubs (after moving) I was quite shocked at how stilted their sparring was. In fact, how crap many of their senior grades were.
The irony is that our club was actually excommunicated from the IOGKF for not being traditional enough. Hello? How is that bad?
Open minded training can only be a plus!!

Anyway, back on topic. I was about 15 and had trained somewhere between a year and two years.
There was some regional WUKO (or whatever it was called) tournament. All of the clubs in the area were invited to participate.
Now bear in mind, most of us were not familiar with points sparring. We had the impression that a karate tournament involved fighting.
So some of us signed up for it.
God I remember being so nervous and expecting all sorts of shattered bones etc.
They didn't explain the rules before the event, so none of us actually had a clue.
First guy went up. He was a boxer who cross trained with our club.
Match ended in seconds by right hook causing nice cut above opponents eye.
Then our guy was disqualified. None of us really got why at the time.
Next guy went up. Can't really remember the details, but he was randomly disqualified for kicking someone somewhere in the body area and dropping him.
So I got the gist. You aren't actually allowed to hit people hard.
When I got called up (totally inexperienced and not knowing a damn thing about anything) I was very careful to hit very gently.
I tentatively kicked my adversary in the thigh. Then suddenly the ref jumps in and gives me a "warning" for an "illegal technique".
So now I'm really confused. I had a couple of points or half points scored against me as I was just circling and wondering what I could or could not do.
At length, I grabbed the guy behind the head and very very gently kneed him in the stomach.
DISQUALIFIED! ILLEGAL TECHNIQUE!
We all left the event perplexed and really not understanding what the **** was going on.
It seemed to me, that the way to win is by performing long range lunging reverse punches with kiai.
It struck as all as absurd and bizarre.

MrGalt
11/08/2009 4:13am,
Wow, that match could have been any of mine from high school. It's awesome to see how we all get fighting wrong in pretty much the same way in krotty.

OP, don't take the Enshin advice. You are a long way from being able to survive an Enshin tournament.

EDIT:
I don't mean that you're going to die or something, just that it's going to be a painful beating, and probably too short for you to learn anything from it at that. Jumping straight into competition isn't the way to start in this sort of thing.

steve999
11/08/2009 5:49am,
Some obvious things.
You were trying to punch him while he was kicking you but you weren't inside the kick so you couldn't reach him.
You need to circle not just move backwards. Also your footwork/balance looked bit sloppy.

Having said that, I have no idea what the rules are for point sparring...

Nicko1
11/08/2009 6:36am,
Truekaratekid, I really appreciate this thread.

You understand that the points stuff is totally unrealistic. That is a step many people cannot make.

Even the ones who do, usually take that step after loosing a fight. OP "won" the point sparring, but was honest enough with himself to admit the reality. Character.