PDA

View Full Version : Hello from South Africa

mina.magpie
11/06/2009 2:05am,
Hi everybody,

I've been doing some or another form of martial arts since I was like 6 - my mom and dad firmly believed I had to know how to defend myself, and while I was more interested in dolls and friends at the time, I can only thank them in hindsight. I started off doing Goju Ryu Karate, had to switch to Shukokai at university, and I did a bit ok Kyokoshin Ryu and Capoeira at various points in my life.

I haven't practised anything formally in the last few years or so since I've been doing ALOT of travelling and moving from one place to the next, and though I've been doing fitness and basics on a fairly regular basis, I'm really stagnating now. I'm also nursing a couple of long-time injuries that I really need to get a handle on, hence my focus is shifting more and more to the internal styles. I should be settling down some time next year, and I want to make sure that I'm ready to start training actively again by then.

So anyway, here I am to pick your brains. Hmmmmm ... Braaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins ...

Mina.

beardedtaco
11/06/2009 2:30am,
Hello and welcome. I'm from Jozi. Nice to see another South African joining here.

ronin497
11/06/2009 2:30am,
Welcome to the forums.

Just out of curiousity, what attracts you to the so-called "internal" styles?

mina.magpie
11/06/2009 5:47am,
Hi Ronin, thanks for the welcome.

Just out of curiousity, what attracts you to the so-called "internal" styles?

Well, I've been looking into joint mobility and whole body integration stuff alot over the last while. My warmup mobility routine is based on Pavel Tsatsouline's Super Joints in combination with what I learned in Goju, and more recently I've been looking at Scott Sonnon's Intu-Flow and Prasara Yoga, and at the SAMBO he based it on, and it follows very similar principles to what I know about Tai Chi and the like.

I started a thread on the subject here:

Calling all internal style practitioners - No BS MMA and Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91437)

Basically, I'm just finding that my mobility routine takes too long, so I'm looking for more compound movements that offer the same benefits, but take less time and don't bore me to tears. I figured it made sense to just go back and look at the systems these newer practices are based on.

Mina.

KO'd N DOA
11/12/2009 5:48pm,
Hi Mina,

Takulandirani - (sorry Chichewa is the only african language I know a phrase or two from).

I found that practicing Yoga while convalescing from a car accident, along with breathing and visualization exercises. It kept be going, but the disconnect between my mind and abody was only solved back out in training.

I will check out that thread you started, sounds interesting.

Boma,

KO'd

Conde Koma
11/13/2009 4:00am,
As long as we're tossing around African phrases, Sawubona! I don't know if you actually speak any Zulu, but I took a class and this will probably be the only time I ever use it.

You sound like you've got a pretty good head on your shoulders. Be warned that there's a lot of skeptics here about "internal" martial arts and the like, as the site was originally intended for investigating extraordinary claims. Hope you find what you're looking for!

mina.magpie
11/13/2009 5:00am,
@ KO'd N DOA:

Hey, thanks for the welcome. :)

@ Konde Coma:

LOL. I had some Zulu in primary school ... *draws a blank after digging through long-term memory* ... Hello. :D

Mina.