PDA

View Full Version : Burnaby Bullies

Lindz
11/06/2009 12:32am,
I've left the MA desert I was in and come back home. Now I feel like a kid in a candy store. Before I go trying stuff out I just wanna see if I missed out on anything good.
So far I've found
Probably awesome:
Judo
Catch wrestling
BJJ/MT/MMA
Boxing
Kyokushin
Wrestling at SFU (a friend tells me they have a rec league but I haven't seen any evidence yet)

Can't tell if awesome or not
SanDa
CobraKai

Probably crap
Aikido
Master Gee's Blackbelt academy
Tae Kwon Do

Did I miss anything? Especially anything good?

honest_truth
11/06/2009 1:25am,
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/photos/large/2005_11/2005_11_23/sambo_2.jpg

but sadly, there arent many actual sambo schools in canada, you probably wont find one in burnaby, if you do, i really REALLY hate you.

Lindz
11/06/2009 1:31am,
UBC used to have a club. But it's defunct. But one of its ex members teaches at the UBC judo club. But it's only for students (I think). Sad face.

I'm not looking for suggestions on what art to study, but known good clubs in the area that I might have overlooked.

Petter
11/06/2009 2:47am,
UBC used to have a club. But it's defunct. But one of its ex members teaches at the UBC judo club. But it's only for students (I think). Sad face.
Last I checked (=about two years ago), almost all the martial arts clubs at UBC are run through the REC centre (the Shito-Ryu karate people, for some odd reason, are just an AMS club). Iím pretty sure the judo club is run by UBC-REC. UBC-REC clubs are open to the public, though they tend to charge a bit more for non-students.

Aaron Fields
11/06/2009 1:01pm,
Feel free to come south to Seattle for your SAMBO fix, we can hook you up.

The UBC club may one day reform, but one Luc who was the driving force is back in Europe dealing with some health issues. They have been defunct for some time.

Micheal who was their head coach is very active in Judo in BC.

Aaron Fields

elipson
11/06/2009 2:25pm,
Several good MMA or old-school bjj clubs in that area. I'm a Marcus Soares fan for Gi Jiu Jitsu, but he is not for everyone.

Ragnarok37
11/06/2009 5:04pm,
If you want Judo, Burnaby has the best dojo west of Montreal. I've never seen more black belts on the mat at one time anywhere else. I think it's where black belts from all the other Vancouver area clubs go for extra practice.

shironinja
11/20/2009 1:24pm,
http://www.revolutionfightteam.com/burnabylocation.html

http://www.revolutionfightteam.com/burnabyschedule.php

IronMongoose
11/20/2009 2:41pm,
I do Gracie Barra BJJ with Cocoon, that's Main and Broadway in Vancouver.

For you in Bby, Columbia Martial Arts will be closer.

Cobra Kai used to have Soares doing BJJ, but he's moved elsewhere (Universal?). I don't think there's anything good there now. Stay away from TACT (Norm Bettencourt). The guy is a moron and a dick.

Petter
11/20/2009 2:45pm,
A-hah. There are at least three of us on here, then, though I havenít seen Skepticus around latelyÖ

markman99
9/14/2010 3:29am,

For you in Bby, Columbia Martial Arts will be closer.

Cobra Kai used to have Soares doing BJJ, but he's moved elsewhere (Universal?). I don't think there's anything good there now. Stay away from TACT (Norm Bettencourt). The guy is a moron and a dick.

Just curious - why do you say Bettencourt should not be trusted?

dougguod
9/14/2010 3:50am,
Just curious - why do you say Bettencourt should not be trusted?

If you click IronMongoose's name, his profile will show that he hasn't been on the site since 1-21-2010, so a direct answer from him is unlikely. Hopefully, someone else will respond to one of your other TACT/Norm Bettencourt threads.

BKR
9/14/2010 4:46pm,
The Burnaby judo dojo is very, very good.

I will be in Abbotsford on September 25 and 26 for the BC Provincial JR team training with a few of my students.

Ben

Lindz
9/14/2010 6:01pm,
If I only had 2 working knees

Cuz
6/02/2011 3:24pm,
I've met Norm Bettencourt a couple of times, he seemed like a really nice guy. I actually trained under him to get my security license when I finally needed to obtain it. I have never really hung out with him but that few days I spent with him, he seemed alright. Granted I have seen some of his appearances on local media and I can see why you would come to that conclusion lol but all in all, he was a good guy when I met him.

Petter
6/02/2011 3:32pm,
Since this thread has been necro-ed, I might as well add some Burnaby-relevant BJJ information: A couple of black belts from GB Vancouver have opened a club in Burnaby, Gracie Barra Burnaby (http://www.gbburnaby.com/). I can testify to John being an excellent instructor; I’ve never been taught by Gary, but he has a very solid game (and a very good tomoe-nage).