PDA

View Full Version : Fight Nerd and NY Combat Sambo test the Nutty Buddy

Pages : [1] 2

sambosteve
11/04/2009 10:54pm,
http://www.thefightnerd.com/fightnerd-vs-nuttybuddy/

YouTube- The Fight Nerd VS The Nutty Buddy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDyw0udNN3U&feature=player_embedded)

DarkPhoenix
11/04/2009 11:01pm,
Steve, you're a great guy and all, but no way in hell am I letting you near my junk with a crowbar.

:-)

Lindz
11/04/2009 11:18pm,
Does it blend?

DarkPhoenix
11/04/2009 11:24pm,
Does it blend?

Anything can blend. :-)

Now, the ultimate test is a game of Rochambeau with Bas Rutten.

honest_truth
11/04/2009 11:25pm,
holy awesome move at 7:07

As a MT practitioner who took a solid shin kick to the balls (i know its a shin kick because i felt my sparring partners big toe go up my asshole, so it certainly wasnt a love tap with the instep) without a cup, which nearly made me cry, and with the shock doctor cup.

i can certainly recommend wearing cups, and the impact absorption is quite good, makes more sense that its rubbery and softer than having a solid piece of plastic because even if your family eggs dont turn into an omelet, the hard sides would dig into your thighs a cripple your movement for a bit.

DarkPhoenix
11/05/2009 4:13am,
EEEEWWWWW!!!!

Where's the clorox and mace?

No, that won't help. What has been seen cannot be unseen.

(as we **** up Steve's thread):e.jpg:

MMAMickey
11/05/2009 5:27am,
HAHA eeeeew!..

.. I think its about time I got a new box, is the shock doctor the best available? I really do hate the chafing of my current one

Matko
11/05/2009 6:49am,
For love of humanity...

WHY?!?!

sambosteve
11/05/2009 12:09pm,
HAHA eeeeew!..

.. I think its about time I got a new box, is the shock doctor the best available? I really do hate the chafing of my current one

I don't know if it is the best, but I would not trade mine in.

tbubar
11/05/2009 2:19pm,
I think a more accurate test would be to put 2 grapes under the cup before dropping the kettlebell on it...I don't care if the cup is destroyed, as long as the grapes are intact!

Omega Supreme
11/05/2009 2:26pm,
Kung fu masta needs no groin protection.

Don Gwinn
11/05/2009 2:32pm,
Is the Nutty Buddy marketed for fighting and grappling? It doesn't seem to be designed for it.
The kettlebell might simulate the thai kick, although putting it on a solid, flat piece of concrete is not the same as putting it on a person's pubic bone and kicking them while they're standing (their hips will move.) I would say it probably does a lot better job against a fastball or a soccer ball to the nuts--those would not be the kind of sustained, heavy impact that a shin kick would be.

maofas
11/05/2009 2:46pm,
That's the groin cup I use. It's ridiculously comfortable compared to normal-shaped cups; those guys are crazy to say it's less comfortable imo.

It *does* dig into your thighs if you pinch your legs together (I mean 100% together, simply moving them close together is fine) or cross them, but that's a small price to pay imo for not having my balls smooshed to 1/2 their normal size the entire time I'm working out.

If that lightweight guy pivoted his supporting leg more he wouldn't feel it biting into him during round kicks (see his leg at 3:02 while he's stating the discomfort on round kicks--not criticizing him, just stating a fact, that's why he's feeling it). Looking at the design (it sorta free-floats between a jock and shorts) I was very skeptical about it staying put (or being comfortable) while kicking, but it does great in that regard.

It's a fantastic product, can't recommend it enough. The only downside is if you wear fight shorts you will look like you're walking around with a perma-errection. Baggy gi pants are your friend.

P.S. Also, having the cup propped against the floor (a hard surface with no give) while dropping the kettlebell on it makes it much easier to break than sitting against a human body which is both a softer surface with some give, as well as something that won't be remaining stationary when a full power kick slams into it.

Still...it did get smashed while the Shockdoctor managed to survive, so maybe MT steel cups are still the better for full contact competition. For everyday training through, even if you're sparring very hard, I seriously doubt you're going to break it while wearing pads.

sambosteve
11/05/2009 7:45pm,
Is the Nutty Buddy marketed for fighting and grappling? It doesn't seem to be designed for it.

It is not. I believe the fine print in the packaging may even say so. But, many people still use it, so Fight Nerd wanted to test it.

maofas
11/05/2009 10:18pm,
It was designed by a baseball player IIRC.

Cayvmann
11/06/2009 10:36am,
Wearing a cup can sometimes result in serious injury.

http://1guyand1cup.com/

I think the cup was wearing the guy there, so..... EWWWWWWW

Why why why why :XXpuke: