PDA

View Full Version : Kelly S Worden

AmigoOne
10/30/2009 2:33pm,
Hi guys, I would like to know what you guys think about Kelly S Worden as a instructor for self defense.

Here is his website
http://www.kellyworden.com/

I've been to numerous seminars and classes that he has, but I haven't have anything good to compare to. Do you think this guy is legit?

tgace
10/30/2009 3:51pm,
Modern Arnis is in an odd situation when it comes to rank, lineage, who trained with who and for how long. The seminar based foundation of the art left a legacy of "who daddy loved most"...who had the most "real" training time with the founder vs. who made black belt after 5-6 seminars with the man...who has "legit" rank..what the ranks and titles all mean, I believe Worden is one of the "Datus" (a title which has never really been explained sufficiently to me).

If its all that stuff you are concerned about there is tons to talk about. If it's an issue of his skill and what he teaches, I don't really know. Never worked with the guy but hes a "big name" in the Modern Arnis game.

jwinch2
10/31/2009 11:22pm,
Kelly Worden's bio is out there for all to see. He is widely considered one of the best combatives and blade instructors around. He has been repeatedly invited to provide training for the First Special Forces group at Fort Lewis and is in wide demand as s defensive tactics instructor. If you have the opportunity to train with him, I don't see how you could go wrong if you are looking for that sort of thing. In addition, I have exchanges some correspondence with him from time to time and he is a heck of a nice guy.

Go try some classes and see what you think. There is a good deal of FMA in the Tacoma area so you ought to be able to find a good basis of comparison if you look around. I will be shocked if you are not impressed with what he is doing when you try it out.

There are also several other recent threads on here related to Modern Arnis. In one in particular, Modern Arnis history is discussed at length by myself and Dan Anderson who was a first generation Remy student and is widely considered one of the best in the world. If you are interested in learning about the art in general he would certainly be a great person to ask. I also post some picks of bruises following a stick sparring session in that thread in response to questions about whether or not Modern Arnis spars or not.

Tgace is quite correct in that it can be a mixed bag depending on where you study it. This is not a flaw in the system it is simply a function of who is doing the teaching and whether or not they are training with intent. I would suspect you could say the same thing about any martial art ever developed.