PDA

View Full Version : Judo Leg Injury

Pages : [1] 2

MMAMickey
10/20/2009 6:58pm,
today during randori my partner took me down by hooking my right leg, as I fell my knee made a loud cracking noise (loud enough everyone turned around) and now I pretty much can't walk properly.

I'm sure nothing is broken I can put weight on the leg. Strangely my knee feels pretty much completely fine but my ankle is absolutely fucked, swollen up and pretty much painful to move in any direction.

Does this sound like a spraign or something more serious? I've iced it and taken standard over the counter anti-inflammatorys.. I figured if its no better, or if it is worse tomorrow morning I'll book a doctors appointment

Thanks for any helpful replies.

PointyShinyBurn
10/20/2009 7:08pm,
I figured if its no better, or if it is worse tomorrow morning I'll book a doctors appointment
It sounds to me like you might have a ligament injury. Don't book a doctor's appointment, a GP will either tell you to ice and rest it (which you knew already and he might be full of ****) or send you to a hospital where they've got orthopaedic surgeons. Go to A&E or a walk-in centre at a large hospital (preferably in the morning unless you like waiting).

MMAMickey
10/20/2009 7:15pm,
Where do you think the ligament is damaged? at the knee or the ankle? cos I'm under the impression the knee is worse

PointyShinyBurn
10/20/2009 7:31pm,
Where do you think the ligament is damaged? at the knee or the ankle? cos I'm under the impression the knee is worseI'm not a doctor, it just sounded to me like a possibility from what you described, because I've seen similar things happen to other people. Stressing the word 'possibility', here, sorry if I freaked you out.

MMAMickey
10/20/2009 7:35pm,
its cool ligament damage was something i'd considered already.. according to a friend of mine its a good sign that I could limp home though lol.. when he did his knee and ankle ligaments he had to be carried off

PointyShinyBurn
10/21/2009 2:50am,
its cool ligament damage was something i'd considered already.. according to a friend of mine its a good sign that I could limp home though lol.. when he did his knee and ankle ligaments he had to be carried off
Depends how bad you do them. Total rupture of the ACL will be a stretcher job, but you can also get stretches and small tears that aren't as bad.

NorthWest
10/21/2009 3:31am,
FWIW, my wife broke her ankle during randori and walked off the mat with it. She also drove home that night, and walked into A&E the next day.
It wasn't until they looked at her X Ray that they suggested she take a seat. :p

I think what I'm trying to say here is, have you been to the fucking hospital yet?

Tom Kagan
10/21/2009 3:59am,
Thanks for any helpful replies.

Do boxing.

Boxing.

Did I mention boxing?

.. according to a friend of mine its a good sign that I could limp home though lol

Your friend sounds like a bigger moron than you.

Total rupture of the ACL will be a stretcher job.

Ah... no.

MMAMickey
10/21/2009 6:05am,
Do boxing.

Boxing.

Did I mention boxing?

Yeah I probs won't be boxing for a while now, but thanks for the absolutely great and intelligent advice sir.. whoever you are imitating there must have been brilliant

PointyShinyBurn
10/21/2009 7:05am,
Ah... no.Only time I ever saw it the guy passed out from the pain, didn't think he would have casually limped home with it.

I think what I'm trying to say here is, have you been to the fucking hospital yet? Yeah, this.

Tom Kagan
10/21/2009 7:16am,
PointyShinBurn: I won the knee pop trifecta without knowing just how bad it was until six months later. While some people are like what you describe, it's surprising to learn a good number of people are walking around without knowing they popped their acl at some point in their lives.

HappyOldGuy
10/21/2009 11:01am,
Depends how bad you do them. Total rupture of the ACL will be a stretcher job, but you can also get stretches and small tears that aren't as bad.

I walked a mile home from the gym after I tore mine. It hurt alot, but it wasn't unmanageable.

OP=doctors visit time. Your system is different than ours, but PSB seemed to be offering good advice on how to manage it. The important point is to get to someone who will be inclined to get you to an MRI. If it is a ligament, rehab is going to suck, but it will get better.

MMAMickey
10/21/2009 11:52am,
doctor squeezed all the bones and moved my foot around and said nothing is broken.. basically said if it doesnt feel better in a week or so come back.. i figure i'll give it a few days and if there's absolutely no improvement I'll push for an mri.. luckily my university has physio available if i need it and the medical centre here is less crowded than where i live in london

NorthWest
10/21/2009 12:17pm,
doctor squeezed all the bones and moved my foot around and said nothing is broken.. basically said if it doesnt feel better in a week or so come back.. i figure i'll give it a few days and if there's absolutely no improvement I'll push for an mri.. luckily my university has physio available if i need it and the medical centre here is less crowded than where i live in london
I know the NHS has seen better days, but that seems less than thorough.
Did you go to A&E or your GP? Please tell me you went to A&E.

Ming Loyalist
10/21/2009 1:14pm,

i don't know how it works in the UK, with national health and all, but here, going to see a GP for a sports injury is pointless. they simply do not understand sports injuries. they are under pressure to not send you for tests unless its absolutely necessary, so you get a lot of the type of diagnosis that you described... useless. don't get me started on the university doc who told me that there was *no way* i had a torn meniscus, based on the fact that he pulled a bit on one leg (and not the other.) an MRI proved him wrong.

there are quite a few here who specialize in sports medicine and i never go to see a doctor who doesn't have that listed as his specialty if i got an injury training.

MMAMickey
10/21/2009 1:21pm,
lol perhaps i didnt go into enough detail. he felt around my knee, compared it with the other one, flexed my knee and the other one to see if he could feel any difference, asked me if i could feel any difference and/or pain. He compared my ankles and checked the bones in my foot and ankle weren't broken. He pretty much did everything he could without an MRI. I don't know what he's classed as (probably still only a GP) he's one of many university doctors but I talked about the anatomy involved with him after some research and he seemed pretty knowledgeable and as a university doctor he deals with the sports teams on a regular basis. If I don't feel improvement I'll be straight down the A&E, I doubt a few days will make any difference to the extent of the injury if it is more serious.