PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Mexicali...

Agnostic72
10/18/2009 1:36am,
Hello Everyone!

I've been pretty much a Martial Arts enthusiast since I've been a kid (I'm 37 now). I did a couple of things in my teens, like Five Animals Kung-Fu and Shito-Ryu Karate later on. I was always curious about what a style VS style matchup would yield, not in points, but in full contact competition. So, it was very exciting when I first learned about the UFC (the early tournaments. And yes, I'm aware of the criticism). It caught my attention that usually the strikers didnīt make it too far into the competition, and that especially Karatekas were eliminated rather quickly. So, that and a some other research made me realize that judo would be very close to what the ideal martial art would be (to me). For instance, a quick throw onto the concrete floor (think Uchimata, or even Ippon Seio Nage) would allow me to take flight (in case the attacker's friends are around). The wonderful thing about Judo is that it is practiced everyday against resisting opponents, so it's great for self defense. It took me a while to make up my mind and join the Judo club (Kino Judo Club). Then, after my third class, my baby boy was born, and I haven't been able to return (family and work are very absorbing). I don't lose hope, as now that I have found a decent dojo I would love to become competent at it.

Any Judo enthusiasts out there?

Cheers!!

Agnostic72

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
10/18/2009 1:45am,
Welcome Agnostic72,

With that set of mind, you're going to like it here.

There are alot of Judoka here varying from 6th Kyu to 6th Dan (alot of interesting information in the basic grappling forum here).

Hope that you soon can restart your Judo training.

Greetz,

Zendokan

Agnostic72
10/18/2009 4:18pm,
Welcome Agnostic72,

With that set of mind, you're going to like it here.

There are alot of Judoka here varying from 6th Kyu to 6th Dan (alot of interesting information in the basic grappling forum here).

Hope that you soon can restart your Judo training.

Greetz,

Zendokan

Thanks Zendokan!

I guess I should say that my main inspirations were "Judo" Gene Lebell (I love how "Uncle" Gene taught some humility to Steven Segal), Hidehiko Yoshida, Toshihiko Koga and of course Masahiko Kimura (no one like Kimura before,no one like Kimura since).

I also have some questions about the validity of ninjutsu as a Martial Art, but I'll leave that for another thread.

Cheers!

Agnostic72

Zapruder
10/18/2009 4:37pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, and get ready for all the answers your brain can handle!

Cheers
Zap