PDA

View Full Version : Chistians training MAs?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RegularJoe
10/17/2009 7:07pm,
I'm posting this in YMAS because I'm not sure where else to post it.

First off, I dont intend for this to become a "Atheist vs Christian" thread, if you dont hold to a faith, good on ya', this thread aint' directed at you.

I just recently accepted Christ, and I was wondering, for any Christians out there that train, do you see any contradiction between the "turn the other cheek" teachings of Christ and training martial arts?

If so, where do you see the middle ground?

I dont intend to stop training, because while I may have been instructed to turn the other cheek, I've also been appointed as protector of my household..if someone is coming after my wife with the intention of harming her, I'm not expected to just step aside and say "Deal with it honey.."

I just wanted some of your guys opinions.

And before someone else posts it: :biblethum

Thanks.

P.S. I know I mispelled "Christian" in the title, my R key sticks.

Rawb_Prime
10/17/2009 7:18pm,
No. If anything my faith reinforces my training. Faith is\should be a private matter between you and your God.

Rawb_Prime
10/17/2009 7:19pm,
Actually,EIP & let's talk................

honest_truth
10/17/2009 7:25pm,
Well, turning the other cheek is clearly the right way to deal with violence, as violence breeds more violence, and this strategy has worked very well for our son of god and savior jesus chri .....

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s307/MAMAMATTOID/jesus.jpg

... OH WAIT.

Seriously thought, i am not the son of god and prayer doesnt put food on my table, so i dont follow the rules very closely, also by not answering back to someone who tried to harm me, he will go on harming others because there were no consequences. So i make sure to beat him up thoroughly to make sure he doesnt pull this **** one someone else.

So i am forwarding the mission of our lord by keeping thugs away from the poor and needy, just in a different way, i actually worked security for a year.

Rand
10/17/2009 7:50pm,
Didn't Jesus also say it was cool to act in self defense?

Kickbox
10/17/2009 7:52pm,
In traditional karate we fight so we don't have to fight. True. That's the whole concept. You fight both for real and symbolically in the dojo. You learn just how violent one can be. The end result is you build up so much awareness that you can avoid a fight. it's the walk softly and carry a big stick phenon. If you have no choice use your skill. But the traditional expert will be at peace, mu shin no shin, totally relaxed as he fights. It takes years to learn karate but the payoff is there.

marcusdbrutus
10/17/2009 7:53pm,
Didn't Jesus also mess a bunch of guys up who were trying to **** up his temple?

Joz
10/17/2009 8:05pm,
I just recently accepted Christ, and I was wondering, for any Christians out there that train, do you see any contradiction between the "turn the other cheek" teachings of Christ and training martial arts?

I'm an atheist but I'm pretty sure that saying that Jesus as depicted in the bible was a pacifist is a gross simplification. See the scourging of the temple and his comments about selling your garments to buy a sword at the last supper...

He also claims to be the fulfilment of the old testament which is filled with the Israelites engaging in Jahweh mandated acts of war. To claim that and then preach total pacifism would be positively schizophrenic...

Suprore
10/17/2009 8:12pm,
Is fighting with another guy who agreed to fight with you out of sport really an act of violence? Or is it a demonstration of mutual respect and interest in a hobby?

I fail to even see how this could possibly relate to Christian teachings, let alone contradict them. It's not like you're trying to harm people, you're practicing a sport between two adults who both know the risks. Unless you start using your martial arts training to loot and pillage or whatever.

RegularJoe
10/17/2009 8:31pm,
Is fighting with another guy who agreed to fight with you out of sport really an act of violence? Or is it a demonstration of mutual respect and interest in a hobby?

I fail to even see how this could possibly relate to Christian teachings, let alone contradict them. It's not like you're trying to harm people, you're practicing a sport between two adults who both know the risks. Unless you start using your martial arts training to loot and pillage or whatever.

That right there is a good point, on the sport aspect.

plasma
10/17/2009 8:36pm,
If Jesus knew Jiu-Jitsu, he would of bridge and rolled. Don't make the same mistake he did.

YouTube - Crucifix Neck Crank: Submissions 101 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRXwBj-Ni-U)

RegularJoe
10/17/2009 8:41pm,
If Jesus knew Jiu-Jitsu, he would of bridge and rolled. Don't make the same mistake he did.

YouTube - Crucifix Neck Crank: Submissions 101 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRXwBj-Ni-U)

*Shakes his head and calls it a night*

plasma
10/17/2009 8:52pm,
*Shakes his head and calls it a night*

I guess I won thread?

Strifes
10/17/2009 8:58pm,
I just recently accepted Christ, and I was wondering, for any Christians out there that train, do you see any contradiction between the "turn the other cheek" teachings of Christ and training martial arts?My JKD instructor is a Christian. He doesn't preach to me or anyone else for that matter, but I have asked him that very same question and he told me that the passage was not referring simply to defending yourself, but rather those who choose to reject the message of Christ, choose to live for themselves with no moral values. That's not to say if you are not religious, you cant have values.

I've also been appointed as protector of my household..if someone is coming after my wife with the intention of harming her, I'm not expected to just step aside and say "Deal with it honey.."Isaiah 41:10

Kickbox
10/17/2009 9:00pm,
Here's the srory of Jesus.
God created the earth. The earth evolved. Cave men evolved. Adam and Eve were in the garden of eden. God put a 'life' in them that was in his image. His image is peace and love and all that. The good stuff. He gave them free will; the right to choose to follow Him or reject Him. Over the centuries God helped the Israelites. He told them to respect Him and not kill each other. They failed. They killed each other.
God decided to come down to earth and show people how to live. When He got here people called him Jesus. Jesus committed no sins. He was a good man. He was so good that people became jealous and had him killed. Jesus could have saved Himself but;
Jesus never tapped.
He died and then was here again. Over 500 people saw him at one time or another right after he was killed.
Now he lives in spirit to those who accept him.
So why accept him?
We all die. It's 100% guarantee.
You can let your spirit die or continue to live.
You get judged. Jesus is like a lawyer. Accept one thing. Jesus never lost a case.
With a lawyer you can win your case. Without? Well, hell, you know the rest.

TxSanshou
10/17/2009 9:09pm,
I read in a version of the new king james version of the bible that in the biblical days a slap to the face was not meant to cause actual physical harm but it was more of an insult kinda like flipping someone off.

We as martial artist are taught to avoid confrontation anyway and thats always the best self defense but in the law of moses if someone broke into your house or meant to do you or your family harm you had the right to defend your self your family and your property.

I am a seventh day adventist Christian and I personally do martial arts primarily for the sport aspect but if I was forced to I would defend myself.I would try to apply what little I know to stop the person trying to hurt me.

And on another note think of how many great men in the bible were martial artists Samson, and David who was called a man after God's own heart killed a lion and a bear with his bear hands not to mention Goliath. And I always like to think of God as a martial artist, he is the most powerful being in the universe so he must know how to fight.