PDA

View Full Version : Sparring with large bodybuilder type peopleÖ

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Greg
2/04/2004 11:11am,
My (kind of obvious) observation.

Iíve been doing a lot of training and sparring lately with a bunch of large bodybuilder type people.

My standup has ended up being boxing, even though I know all this other MA crap, I just donít use it. Donít even use kicks that much anymore even though I am a born kicker so to speak. (been told that by many instructors). Fast hands are what work.

With the grappling/wrestling stuff itís all holds/chokes that cause major pain/discomfort.

So to overstate the obvious it basically becomes surprise! MMA. (just like in UFC/Pride)

Fancy ďsoftĒ TMA moves just donít work dealing with large athletic people.

Iíve also developed a healthy respect for boxing.

Quick and simple is best, fancy and flashy results in much pain.

Basically this has really renewed my respect for MMA.

blankslate
2/04/2004 11:15am,
Boxing is the shiznitz. But keep an open mind...you never know.

milwaukee cop
2/04/2004 2:05pm,
einstien stated" genius runs to simplicity"

garbanzo
2/04/2004 2:22pm,
blankslate:

My Yiddish is a little rusty.

Is "shiznitz" good or bad?

Matt Stone
2/04/2004 2:23pm,
Originally posted by Greg
Donít even use kicks that much anymore even though I am a born kicker so to speak. (been told that by many instructors). Fast hands are what work.

Kicks are alright, but I use them more to cover distance and set up openings. Unless I am right on top of them using low kicks to disable their knees and such, I stick with hands as well...

With the grappling/wrestling stuff itís all holds/chokes that cause major pain/discomfort.

Doing this with powerful people will certainly teach you what works and what doesn't...

Fancy ďsoftĒ TMA moves just donít work dealing with large athletic people.

I disagree. Fancy is bad, whether it is "soft" or "hard." But TMA methods do work. I had a student with a fair background in other arts (to include some wrestling) that was an avid powerlifter. While there were some things that he could overcome simply because of his impressive strength, it made technical perfection even more important.

Iíve also developed a healthy respect for boxing.

Quick and simple is best, fancy and flashy results in much pain.

Good common sense on both points.

DARKSON
2/04/2004 2:23pm,
Throw a good round house kick in there and you are open for business.

Punch, punch, kick.....punch, punch, punch, kick. Repeat as necessary.

Ronin
2/04/2004 2:32pm,
A chair and a whip always come in handy.

blankslate
2/04/2004 2:46pm,
Originally posted by garbanzo
blankslate:

My Yiddish is a little rusty.

Is "shiznitz" good or bad?

Shiznitz would be on the good tip action.

"Yiddish?"..nig-...pleez.

patfromlogan
2/04/2004 3:43pm,
I agree with Darkson (and so did Andy Hug with his spinning heels-Gad they look like they hurt-the guy falling to the ground seemed to agree also. I did use a flippy little sissy backhand (heh, actually it was as hard as I could hit) to solar plexus to stop a body builder guy once. Stunned him. His basic technique was bear hug and throw down. It was a good technique for him. I can't stop people from giggling when I do it.

SlimJim
2/04/2004 3:51pm,
A buddy I used to train with made mention that bodybuilders are more susceptile to strikes to nerve centers. Can anyone validate that or was he full of it?

Greg
2/04/2004 4:18pm,
The people I am sparring with have trained/or are training in MA. It makes life a little more complicated.

PizDoff
2/04/2004 4:30pm,
This thread.....is kinda.....dumb.

"Quick and simple is best, fancy and flashy results in much pain."
Please tell me this is not a recent epiphany, just a further solidification of truth you know already.

And stop nutriding.

"A buddy I used to train with made mention that bodybuilders are more susceptile to strikes to nerve centers. Can anyone validate that or was he full of it?"

Probably full of it, the added muscles cover the nerve centres making it LESS susceptible to attack.

shironinja
2/04/2004 4:34pm,
Originally posted by Greg
I am a born kicker so to speak. (been told that by many instructors). This is not something to be proud about and/or post on the internet.

PizDoff
2/04/2004 4:39pm,
Don't be silly.

Matt Stone
2/04/2004 5:14pm,
Originally posted by SlimJim
A buddy I used to train with made mention that bodybuilders are more susceptile to strikes to nerve centers. Can anyone validate that or was he full of it?

This is true and false... It is true that some striking points that affect the belly of a muscle, the insertion or origin of a muscle, or a nerve that runs superficially to the muscle can be struck with slightly less effort than on, say, a fairly chubby guy who's body fat covers the muscle.

Deep innervation of a muscle, and an attempt to strike a specific "nerve" point (understanding that vital points are divided into muscle, nerve, blood, and bone points, or combinations thereof) is made because that nerve (or blood vessel, or bony surface, etc.) is vulnerable due to its anatomical position... So big guy, little guy, it doesn't matter, as the point is nearer to the surface anatomically on nearly everyone, hence its common use as a striking target.

Jenfucius
2/04/2004 6:00pm,
quit your crying and pump some iron!