PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Body Structure

Pages : [1] 2

chinaboxer
10/09/2009 9:01pm,
Julius is a good friend of mine and what makes him great for this video is that he is not a Wing Chun guy, on the contrary, he is a “brawler” and a grappler, aggressive and very very athletic. I asked him to join us for the video because so many wing chun videos out there are just the opposite, where the instructor is the “big guy” and the person he demonstrates on is usually shorter/weaker than themselves. So it’s easy of course to “out muscle” and “out speed” them for the video.

I wanted to do just the opposite, i wanted someone who doesn’t care what his “movements” look like and has an attitude of “i’m going to knock your head off, any way i can”, because these are the kinds of fighters that you are going to get into an altercation with.

you can view the video here...http://www.thechinaboxer.com/2009/10/09/importance-of-body-structure/

jspeedy
10/09/2009 10:05pm,
While I see your point chinaboxer that Julius is the bigger guy he is still a compliant partner. He "throws" a punch and holds it out for demonstration. What the instructor says about body allignment in the video at least makes some sense to me, but lets see Julius try to pound the instructor's head in using boxing while the instructor fights back using wing chun. It can be explained over and over again but without demonstration against a noncompliant partner the explainations are only theory.

Personally, the chinese MAs are the whole reason I became interested in MAs to begin with, although i've never had the opportunity to learn a specifically chinese art. I'm not CMA/wing chun bashing here but there neecds to be more than just explainations about fighting a bigger guy to prove effectiveness.

If you listed wing chun in the title way more people would probably reply, so maybe that's a good thing.

chinaboxer
10/09/2009 10:23pm,
i understand your point, we'll get into sparring in the near future, i just want everyone to understand the "foundation" first so that later they realize why this works during application and sparring. thanks for the suggestion, peace!

Kintanon
10/09/2009 10:40pm,
We eagerly await noncompliant video.

DerAuslander
10/10/2009 1:25am,
i understand your point, we'll get into sparring in the near future, i just want everyone to understand the "foundation" first so that later they realize why this works during application and sparring. thanks for the suggestion, peace!

We already understand structure, foundation, bla bla bla...

SHOW IT.

Or get off the forum.

Meex
10/12/2009 5:59pm,
Let Julius throw,

Why talk about other video,
then do the same thing with a bigger dude?

There is no point.
Wasting our time.

`~)

Kouch
10/19/2009 11:01pm,
iv noticed this forum is all about facts and hard evidence..i like that lol. i mean i even do wing chun myself, but we do alot of talkin of theory and practice with compliant partners. i have yet to actually test this with someone who doesnt practice wing chun or have any knowledge of it. reading this just inspried me haha! and now that i think about it..how many boxers or kickboxers fight people outside of their "realm" know what i mean? like fight others that dont have any knowledge of their art? even in MIXED MARTIAL ARTS everyone practices the same thing lmao! with the exception of a few of coarse. i think imma make a documentary.

1point2
10/19/2009 11:11pm,
now that i think about it..how many boxers or kickboxers fight people outside of their "realm" know what i mean? like fight others that dont have any knowledge of their art?

Many people in MMA, boxing and kickboxing will spar people with great amounts of experience in other arts, either in tournament, because they joined up, or because they're trying class and want to challenge whoever they work with. I've been in an MMA gym for four months and I've already seen it happen twice.

Plus, you're talking to Bullies. One of the foremost reasons we're here is to go to Throwdowns.

It is Fake
10/19/2009 11:24pm,
iv noticed this forum is all about facts and hard evidence..i like that lol. i mean i even do wing chun myself, but we do alot of talkin of theory and practice with compliant partners. i have yet to actually test this with someone who doesnt practice wing chun or have any knowledge of it. reading this just inspried me haha! and now that i think about it..how many boxers or kickboxers fight people outside of their "realm" know what i mean? like fight others that dont have any knowledge of their art? even in MIXED MARTIAL ARTS everyone practices the same thing lmao! with the exception of a few of coarse. i think imma make a documentary.

Kickboxers? They fight Karatekas, Muay Thai, Tkders etc. Yes, it all looks the same but, many fighters have varied backgrounds in kickboxing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_male_kickboxers

Read through those names, you'll find boxers, Karate guys, Muay Thai guys, and even a few that did Kung Fu.

Boxing? It is a little different but, I'll give you an example.

Boxing has many styles in a sense it all depends on the coach and your skill. Go watch Ali and Fraziers epics. they both fight completely different. They were coached differently.

In other words a boxer from the Freddie Roach School of boxing vs. someone from the Emmanuel Lewis school of boxing.

Yes, that is just like a boxer*snicker* from the school of Wing Chun fighting a fighter from the school of Mantis.

Edited to add:
That list is missing some old school fighters like:
Don The Dragon" Wilson
Bill "Superfoot" Wallace
Benny "The Jet" Urquidez
Joe Lewis
Liu Hailong
Bao Li Gao

Petter
10/20/2009 1:10am,
i understand your point, we'll get into sparring in the near future, i just want everyone to understand the "foundation" first so that later they realize why this works during application and sparring.
It’s impossible to understand “why this works” unless you first either assume or establish that it does in fact work. Crackpot ‘theories’ are a nickel a dozen. Nobody is going to be interested in lengthy explanations of why [fiction]. Prove that it works and people will be interested in why.

Frankly, I find your ostentatious use of a larger training partner disingenuous and borderline deceptive. It gives the credulous the impression that you have shown your techniques to work on a larger opponent, when in fact you haven’t shown them to work at all. In a demonstration and in compliant drills, his size and strength are completely irrelevant except to marketing.

Dirty Rooster
10/20/2009 5:00am,
...you can view the video here...http://www.thechinaboxer.com/2009/10/09/importance-of-body-structure/
I watched the video, all the way through. Found it very confused and maybe delusional. I've got to point out about half-way where the guy in the hat is deflecting a slomo straight left, sticking to it then moving in with an upright posture : he's saying he can identify a 'jab', get his hand/wrist up and outside it, deflect, stick his hand to it as it retracts AND hop both feet and body forward IN THE TIME IT TAKES TO JAB AND RETRACT THE JAB.
Delusional, and possibly one of the BEST ways to get smacked in the face from the right.

(He also says that leaning forward is worse than staying upright in resisting a tackle/takedown. The OPPOSITE is true. Delusional.)

Kambei Shimada
10/20/2009 5:36am,
Thanks for posting the video,

The key thing people want to see here is non-compliance from your training partner.

Many of us have some Wing Chun experience (myself included) and understand most of the basic ideas behind the art. The problem tends to be a lack of Aliveness, there are literally thousands of Wing Chun videos on youtube but only a handful are actually against a resisting partner.

MMAMickey
10/20/2009 8:34am,
Why is Wing Chun referred to as chinese boxing? It seems that sanda would better fit that title..
also, did Mr T actually film this? because that alone is enough to make me join a Wing Chun school

Evil Solvalou
10/20/2009 8:39am,
Why is Wing Chun referred to as chinese boxing? It seems that sanda would better fit that title..

I don't think it's exclusive to Wing Chun, in fact I think a lot of Chinese martial arts use the term. As far as I know it's more of a translation thing where some word is/was often translated as boxing.

Kouch
10/27/2009 10:47pm,
]Kickboxers? They fight Karatekas, Muay Thai, Tkders etc. Yes, it all looks the same but, many fighters have varied backgrounds in kickboxing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_male_kickboxers

In other words a boxer from the Freddie Roach School of boxing vs. someone from the Emmanuel Lewis school of boxing.

Yes, that is just like a boxer*snicker* from the school of Wing Chun fighting a fighter from the school of Mantis.

well i know kickboxers fight different kinds of kickboxers and martial artists. but a kick is a kick, punch is a punch.just different ways of delivering of coarse. im talkin like, a karateka v.s. a bagua kid. or wing chuner fighting a tkd fighter. i mean those are TOTALLY opposite one another. where as boxing is boxing.of coarse someone that does full contact kumite could stand with a thai fighter. they have similair tactics. but come on, i did tkd for 4 years. and i know when i started wing chun, it was a whole new level of combat. and i wasnt used to fighting so close! it was nuts! just alotta people dont get the oppurtunity to spar out of what they're used to. like my grappling experience is limited. so are MOST wing chun fighters. different realms of fighting.

Permalost
10/28/2009 12:37am,
Is the other guy in the video supposed to be a boxer? What he does with his left hand when throwing a cross is a dead giveaway of a guy that's never learned to box.