PDA

View Full Version : taijiquan VS krav maga VS medieval wrestling

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

fsx
10/08/2009 8:41am,
Hello,

this is a conversation I recently had with a friend on facebook about Tai Chi Chuan (Taijiquan). He practices medieval fencing and wrestling.
I think my friend's approach to the whole is quite superficial.

What do you have to say? :beatdead: :lookround

HIM:
...does taijiquan satisfies you? And how much weapons do you do?

ME:
I'm not yet very interested in weapons, it's already a lot that I have to do with my hands

HIM:
Oh so disappointing. I wanted you to show me something with the lance.

ME:
perhaps in 10 years

HIM:
Crap. But why ten years?

ME:
how much do you think it will take at MINIMUM to learn almost-decently any martial art? =D

HIM:
It depends.

ME:
probably I will be able to complete the short form in 5-6 years

HIM:
Tai Qi: A Life Long Achievement!
It's a great slogan for the style.

ME:
yep

HIM:
Way too much time, in my opinion. It might be that I don't share that mysticism of all those "traditional" styles...

ME:
it's just that you don't know how it works, if you would be a practictioner you'll find that it's really immense

HIM:
Oh, but I KNOW that it's immense.

ME:
you probably know but you can't "feel" it

HIM:
I object to the fact that to be an effective combat method, it should be a combat method.
But probably here we enter in an eternal discussion so I'll let you go.
Without offence, heh. ;)

ME:
no problem

for example, some people say krav maga can be learnt in one year and it is one of the most effective methods, but krav maga is not completely a martial art, it is more like a very effective combat method

HIM:
So, probably, maybe, we have two different concepts of "martial art".

ME:
medieval fencing and wrestling are not martial arts, but combat methods,

HIM:
XD

No no.

Medieval fencing is SCIENCE, like a friend of mine used to say. :P

ME:
krav maga is science too, I know it is based on mathematics and logical formulas

HIM:
Sorry, I have to go, let's finish this another time. Bye.

dwkfym
10/08/2009 8:44am,
I thought you guys were about to cyber, complete with medeival outfits and lances

Holy Moment
10/08/2009 8:53am,
I bet your friend could kick your ass. And Medieval wrestling is more of a martial art than Taijiquan.

fsx
10/08/2009 9:06am,
I bet your friend could kick your ass. And Medieval wrestling is more of a martial art than Taijiquan.

hmmmmm.... you're quite partial I suppose :5arg:

Sri Hanuman
10/08/2009 9:10am,

Why must you abuse my inner child?:ingun:

jnp
10/08/2009 9:30am,
ME: medieval fencing and wrestling are not martial arts, but combat methods,
Why can't they be both?

dwkfym
10/08/2009 10:07am,
Is Kickboxing a martial art, or is it a combat method?
Is Andy hug a martial artist, or a combat mathodist??
omg im so confused, I think you may have turned my worldview on martial arts upside down.

Hidden Ronin
10/08/2009 10:14am,
medieval wrestling, half-swording and sword play > Most things I've seen shat out of China.
I say you fight and video it.

fsx
10/08/2009 10:19am,
medieval wrestling, half-swording and sword play > Most things I've seen shat out of China.
I say you fight and video it.

LOL that would be interesting, but my friend weighs about 110Kg and I weigh about 75Kg... and really I don't think I'm worth anything in combat with Taijiquan, since I still am a very basic level practitioner... but I'll consider your suggestion. ;)

Sri Hanuman
10/08/2009 10:22am,
LOL that would be interesting, but my friend weighs about 110Kg and I weigh about 75Kg... and really I don't think I'm worth anything in combat with Taijiquan, since I still am a very basic level practitioner... but I'll consider your suggestion. ;)

You can realign his meridians and cause sudden death...

dwkfym
10/08/2009 10:23am,
I like how everyone rags on CMA so much. You should see this polish kickboxing vice champ at my club, and one of the guys I train with at the local dojo. Both are traditional CMA fighters. One made it to finals in world classics IKF, other was san da vice champ.

fsx
10/08/2009 10:24am,
Is Kickboxing a martial art, or is it a combat method?
Is Andy Hug a martial artist, or a combat methodist??
omg im so confused, I think you may have turned my worldview on martial arts upside down.

well, honestly I can't say for sure. maybe wikipedia can help us?

Martial arts or fighting arts are systems of codified practices and traditions of training for combat. While they may be studied for various reasons, martial arts share a single objective: to physically defeat other persons and to defend oneself or others from physical threat. In addition, some martial arts are linked to beliefs such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Daoism, Confucianism or Shinto while others follow a particular code of honor. Many arts are also practiced competitively, most commonly as combat sports, but may also take the form of dance.

So in this definition falls almost anything.

nifoc
10/08/2009 10:28am,
4/10 plus for the effort of writing that conversation, but not very original or even remotely amusing.

fsx
10/08/2009 10:30am,
4/10 plus for the effort of writing that conversation, but not very original or even remotely amusing.

cheerz... I just wanted to know your opinion. and this is it! :icon_boun

Sri Hanuman
10/08/2009 10:31am,

That's because it's night time in Sweden, and you're ready to turn in. For those of us at work mid morning, this is bread and butter.:qright6:

nifoc
10/08/2009 10:37am,
That's because it's night time in Sweden, and you're ready to turn in. For those of us at work mid morning, this is bread and butter.:qright6:

It's 5:30 PM...so not even dinnertime. And, yes, this is bread and butter, nothing really amusing, just another 'tard that knows **** about MA.