PDA

View Full Version : Army Hand to Hand Combat?

Pages : [1] 2

The_Ghost
2/03/2004 3:46pm,
I'm looking to join the army, and with my martial arts experience I could be of use in a hand to hand school, or at least learn even more from it.

So does anyone know if they have a specific school where they develops this stuff?

Justme
2/03/2004 3:51pm,
PM Asia...

The_Ghost
2/03/2004 3:54pm,
Or I could just ask everyone and hope Asia answers?

Matt Stone
2/03/2004 6:27pm,
I have been in the Army for 12 years come this Friday.

I have been Infantry, Cavalry, and am now in the JAG Corps.

The only HTH training of an official nature that I have participated in in all that time was several hours spaced over the course of a week in basic training (we did 5 2 - 3 hour blocks of instruction on HTH and bayonet fighting prior to doing pugil sticks and the bayonet assault course); the instructor training conducted in Drill Sergeant School (where it was stressed that the DS did not have to be subject matter experts (SMEs) in order to teach the techniques); and the training I convinced my directorate's Sergeant Major that we needed to do in light of recent events in Iraq.

The Army has its own "martial art" called Combatives. Those methods are outlined in a manual that you can view here: http://155.217.58.58/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/3-25.150/toc.htm.

The primary weapon of the American service member is his/her issued M16A2 or M9 pistol. The emphasis on HTH training is minimal at best, and only in combat units (i.e. Infantry, Cavalry, Armor, etc.) typically.

Joining the Army because you want to put your martial arts skills to the test is admirable, but unrealistic. Join the Army because it is a regular paycheck, college tuition assistance is free (you can get 100% up to a cap limit), and you'll be doing a great thing for your country. That is a realistic and practical reason. Fulfilling a martial arts fantasy isn't.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to walk right out of the recruiter's office if he isn't offering you what you want.

Ka-Bar
2/03/2004 6:43pm,
Originally posted by The_Ghost
I'm looking to join the army, and with my martial arts experience I could be of use in a hand to hand school, or at least learn even more from it.

So does anyone know if they have a specific school where they develops this stuff?

I dunno how much experience you have, but as a green belt (oooooooohhhh) in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program, I can tell you that anyone with 4-5 experience in an art will already be familiar with all of the techniques the Corps advocates, provided the art does standup and grappling.

punchingdummy
2/03/2004 10:58pm,
Ghost - Go see your local Marine recruiter and let them know you've like to fight. They can hook you up.

The Marine Corps definition of competition: Saturday in a local Jacksonville, NC bar with 5 civilians, 350 Marines and 12 women (6 of which are Marines). After a half-dozen beers and the reality of odds against intimacy with a woman set in, brawling with other Marines suddenly seems like a bright idea. After four or five cheap tattoos and a handful of fights you will realize the crap the military teaches, while reasonable if you are trying to kill a person with a helmet and body armor, may not be the best for street fighting. In other words - don't join the military for the HTH training, but join if you want find a group of guys who will put your current training to a test.

The_Ghost
2/03/2004 11:02pm,
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
I have been in the Army for 12 years come this Friday.

I have been Infantry, Cavalry, and am now in the JAG Corps.

The only HTH training of an official nature that I have participated in in all that time was several hours spaced over the course of a week in basic training (we did 5 2 - 3 hour blocks of instruction on HTH and bayonet fighting prior to doing pugil sticks and the bayonet assault course); the instructor training conducted in Drill Sergeant School (where it was stressed that the DS did not have to be subject matter experts (SMEs) in order to teach the techniques); and the training I convinced my directorate's Sergeant Major that we needed to do in light of recent events in Iraq.

The Army has its own "martial art" called Combatives. Those methods are outlined in a manual that you can view here: http://155.217.58.58/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/3-25.150/toc.htm.

The primary weapon of the American service member is his/her issued M16A2 or M9 pistol. The emphasis on HTH training is minimal at best, and only in combat units (i.e. Infantry, Cavalry, Armor, etc.) typically.

Joining the Army because you want to put your martial arts skills to the test is admirable, but unrealistic. Join the Army because it is a regular paycheck, college tuition assistance is free (you can get 100% up to a cap limit), and you'll be doing a great thing for your country. That is a realistic and practical reason. Fulfilling a martial arts fantasy isn't.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to walk right out of the recruiter's office if he isn't offering you what you want.

LOL, cool man. I wasn't expecting to fulfill any fantasy (I didn't even have a fantasy). But from what my recruiter was saying no one makes a career as an Army Ranger, and that's about the only thing I wanted to do at first. I didn't take the time to ask about HTH combat so I was asking here.

As for reasons of joining the army, my reason was the steady paycheck, chance to carry and shoot live ammunitions, with all the benefits they give I can save up for my PHD in college, and lastly...I don't have a lastly. But you outlined about the right reasons why to join.

...though I'm curious how you ever got the idea H2H combat was the reason I wanted to join?

Hannibal
2/03/2004 11:02pm,
From what I hear in my country the modern soldier is fucked in terms of hand to hand combat.They are taught ther elementry stuff but thats about it.

Matt Stone
2/03/2004 11:26pm,
Originally posted by The_Ghost

I guess I got the idea from the tone of this post. My misunderstanding.

However, looking at your avatar (if that is a pic of you), you appear to be pretty young... The odds that you would have anything to offer career soldiers, many of whom have combat time (and using their HTH skills in said combat), would be slim to none. Especially given that all your training would have come from civilian MA schools, it narrows the chances even further.

There are are folks that make a career out of being a Ranger, but they are very few. Most folks spend a few years at Battalion and then move on. Sometimes they stay, leave, come back again, etc. Some move on to either SF or Delta. Some just get out after getting way tired of the OPTEMPO of being either on deployment or in the field every other week. The life of a Ranger is not quite as glorious as Hollywood makes it out to be. The life of a standard grunt is pretty dingy and dreary, truth be told, and damn boring.

As for carrying and firing "live ammunition," pal, you just won't be doing it... Going to a range twice a year, sometimes more, is the closest to live fire you get, and you will only get 2 40 round magazines with which to slake your bloodlust... The rest of the time you will, most literally, be going "bang, bang, got you covered" during training...

This is, of course, if you don't land in the desert for a year long tour. Then you might have live ammo, but you won't have the clearance to lock and load and gun down any suspicious looking types... You will have Rules of Engagement (ROE) to adhere to strictly, and if you violate them you'll find yourself getting locked away most ricky-tick.

Just some things to think about before signing up. And remember, the recruiter's job is to make things look cool... They won't go into the gritty reality of it - that'd cost them quotas... Before you sign up, ask questions here of the vets that hang out here. You'll get the real deal then, and be better armed to make a decision.

punchingdummy
2/03/2004 11:37pm,
Join the Marine infantry! You will live fire MUCH more than a few times a year, you will get challenged and may even have the opportunity to still go to Ranger School (of course, you will have to compete against other Marine grunts - - refer to definition of competition in earlier post).

The_Ghost
2/03/2004 11:40pm,
LOL! That avatar is of me just out of the hospital. I'm 17. That happened a few months ago, kind of an inside joke (I was in a type of drugged out stupor). but thanks for the info.

dr.spock
2/17/2004 3:11pm,
itll be what you make of it, we actually do alot of H2H training in the marines, but itll depend on where you go, some units dont have the time to train them in H2H. or some just dont push it as much. we do it cause we like it, and we pratice in our spare time. go to the matroom in the evenings or hit the bags, spar, spar and spar. true youll get trained with the bayonet techniques, but also the baton and knife. but on our off time we practice for the sport side of MA, not the military combat body armor and rifle stuff. of course having body armor and kevlar and goin at it in the 3ft pool was very fun. if you go into the marines get done with all the crap and try to be a MMAP instructor, or if you got some balls be an instuctor trainer where theyll fly you to quantico va. and thats bout all youll do, but its mostly gonna be thrash seesions, firemans carrys, obstical courses, low crawls, long runs and then grappling. all in the same day

Emevas
2/17/2004 3:27pm,
*Feels neglected that no one cares about Air Force Hand to Hand*

Gezere
2/17/2004 3:30pm,
*waves hand in Jedi motion*

This is not the MA you are looking for.

If you do join don't come to Germany. There is some REALLY weird black guy running around screaming, "RANDORI RIGHT HERE!" And it not even me. Its my dumbass soldier.

LLL
2/17/2004 3:32pm,
**** the army!

Prone
2/17/2004 3:37pm,
lol, this is turning out to be pretty nice. How long will you stay in Germany, do you know, Asia?