PDA

View Full Version : Bicep trouble?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kickapoo
9/23/2009 8:10am,
I'm on my way out the door to class but I figured this would be a perfect place to ask this question.

My biceps, for all intents and purposes, are pussies. I'm sorry, biceps, but it's true. Every other muscle group I target gets worked fine-when I do shoulders, they hurt, when I do chest, it hurts, etc etc. I am aware that muscle soreness is not the indicator of strength progression, but this coupled with the fact that my biceps (I am referring to the biceps brachii if we're getting technical) have made little to no progress while everything else has been making noticeable gains leads me to believe that something is awry.

I'm lanky, yes. Just about six foot and 160. But I always figured this would have more of an effect on the visibility of my muscles and less with my muscular strength.

Here's a sample bicep routine:
Preacher curl: 85 lbs 10X3
Seated dumbbell curl: 35 lbs 10x3 (for each arm, if it must be stated)
Pull ups: 10x3

This is just a sample as not indicative of what I do every week, as I was taught exercise repetition would end up causing, well, exactly what has happened to me anyway. Go figure.

Before the issue of my diet gets brought up, I have the typical lanky man metabolism. I take in around 3000-3500 calories a day, and usually about 140 g of protein, although that number fluctuates.

Anyone take a stab at this?

MMAMickey
9/23/2009 8:16am,
more weight, less reps.. i'm not lanky but by doing sets of 8 with a 50kg z-bar followed by dumbell curls i've put an inch on my biceps in a short amount of time

Kickapoo
9/23/2009 11:24am,
The problem with doing higher weight with less reps is that I end up feeling the muscle fatigue at an odd point-I get to the point where I cannot complete another repetition; however, this fatigue does not seem to translate over to strength gain in any discernable way (to me, at least).

MMAMickey
9/23/2009 11:55am,
The problem with doing higher weight with less reps is that I end up feeling the muscle fatigue at an odd point-I get to the point where I cannot complete another repetition; however, this fatigue does not seem to translate over to strength gain in any discernable way (to me, at least).

try doing the high weight thing, and when you can no longer complete the set move the weight down slightly until you can complete a set.. also you could try something i was shown by a mate, he curled 2 24lb dumbells standing from the bottom of their range to just below the 90degree elbow point for seven reps, then immediately after he started curling at the top of the range of motion not allowing the dumbells to go any lower than half way down for 7 reps and then immediately after he did full curls for 7 reps. He called it 7's or summin but you only need light weight and two sets of that at the end of a workout is hell

Kickapoo
9/23/2009 1:44pm,
The exercise you're referring to is called 21's, at least by everyone I've spoken to.

How often should I work a specific muscle group?

excludedmiddle
10/02/2009 12:58pm,
The problem with Biceps (and triceps) is they need to be worked more often then the rest of your muscle groups to keep up. The reason is the size. Your bi's and tri's are smaller muscle groups than the rest you would be working out and heal much faster. I'm assuming you work a different muscle group each day rather than some sort of a full body workout (if not, start doing so immediately). Your triceps are already getting another workout on your chest days. Do the same with biceps and work them preferably on the days you do your back, and you should notice a difference.

Emevas
10/02/2009 1:12pm,
My quesiton is, if your goal is strength, why do you have a biceps routine? Splitting is for bodybuilding, and more specifically for finishing routines. If you want to get strong, stick with full body work, or an upper/lower split.

Edit: I just read the rest of this topic, and now my eyes are bleeding.

excludedmiddle
10/02/2009 1:23pm,
Seemed like his main concern was that his biceps weren't getting any bigger.

Emevas
10/02/2009 1:28pm,
Seemed like his main concern was that his biceps weren't getting any bigger.

Well, this quote (along with the fact this is a martial arts forum rather than say, BB.com or something similar) led me to believe it was a question of strength

I'm lanky, yes. Just about six foot and 160. But I always figured this would have more of an effect on the visibility of my muscles and less with my muscular strength.

That said, at 160lbs at 6', the concern shouldn't be bicep size, it should be whole body size. Muscle group splits aren't gonna help, a foundation needs to be built.

smartangel
10/02/2009 3:46pm,
Bicep routine ???? what a joke
change your exercise if you do know how to do it . here a routine for you
day 1 (Leg)
squat and jump squat
leg extension
lunge
donkey calf raise or chair calf raise
leg press
day number 2 (back day)
dead lift
rowing
pullover
good morning
day number 3
clean and press
bench press
shoulder press
arnold press
lateral raise

for bicep do concentration curl palm up and down , zoot man curl, gironda perfect curl, wrist roller

smartangel
10/02/2009 3:53pm,
YouTube - Vince Gironda Perfect Curl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOgLBUsdIYs)
YouTube - Vince Gironda Gironda Drag Curl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YItJcwyS1ZE&feature=related)

Emevas
10/02/2009 4:21pm,
Bicep routine ???? what a joke
change your exercise if you do know how to do it . here a routine for you
day 1 (Leg)
squat and jump squat
leg extension
lunge
donkey calf raise or chair calf raise
leg press
day number 2 (back day)
dead lift
rowing
pullover
good morning
day number 3
clean and press
bench press
shoulder press
arnold press
lateral raise

for bicep do concentration curl palm up and down , zoot man curl, gironda perfect curl, wrist roller

Stop.

And why do your videos talk about bodybuilding and STRENGHT?

MMAMickey
10/02/2009 7:15pm,
My quesiton is, if your goal is strength, why do you have a biceps routine? Splitting is for bodybuilding, and more specifically for finishing routines. If you want to get strong, stick with full body work, or an upper/lower split.

Edit: I just read the rest of this topic, and now my eyes are bleeding.

Doesn't standing while doing curls promote functional strength to a degree?
Also, exercises such as bent over rows are relatively useful as far as I know.. but hell I'm no champ

Emevas
10/02/2009 8:47pm,
Functional strength?

That said, if your goal is strength (I don't go into the realm of functional, as I figure all strength is functional strength, it's just a question of what function you're training for), muscle group splitting is generally not the way to go. You usually want to train in the way that your body functions.

Granted, you can bring up weak points, but that's a different issue.

MMAMickey
10/02/2009 9:23pm,
Functional strength?

That said, if your goal is strength (I don't go into the realm of functional, as I figure all strength is functional strength, it's just a question of what function you're training for).

fair enough, I guess I aim strength towards aspects like striking and grappling so I prefer to be more explosive. My bicep training generally encompasses sets of pull ups wearing a chain belt and weight disks, followed by curls with a z bar and then dumbells to push to failure. Anything I could be doing better?

Emevas
10/02/2009 9:30pm,
If the goal is strength, I wouldn't train to failure.

Really though, I'd have to see the whole routine to pass any judgement. Without context, there's no way I could suggest anything.