PDA

View Full Version : What about JKD??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Bannik
9/21/2009 4:48am,
Here is something that is mind buggling me, why the hell isnt JKD like the biggest martial art in the world, not only was it used and taught by one of the greatest martial artist and fighters but its actually and effective system (the whole be like water philosophy makes a lot of sense) so why isnt it as big as something like karate etc....

I just dont get it....we get shitty crap like community centre krav maga but no JKD clubs

Condemned
9/21/2009 4:54am,
I just think it's about genres. The Kung Fu craze with Bruce was '60's and 70's approximately. Karate had already been established and the CMA's were kept kind of secretive. Bruce was brief and didn't have many certified instructors. They all went their own ways and didn't form a union and promote it. The timing for the system has passed as the MMA/BJJ is the thing. There are generations that hardly know who Bruce is or was. jet Li is more well known.

Purpleskunk
9/21/2009 5:06am,
^ Yeah, i have no idea how i know who the hell Bruce lee is.. Ive only seen one of his movies 1-2 years ago, yet i know i knew him since i was little though.

Nefron
9/21/2009 5:07am,
Do you have any proof of its effectiveness?Any videos of JKD used in a fight?Any videos of Bruce Lee actually fighting?

CrackFox
9/21/2009 5:16am,
What about JKD? Here's what: it sucks, get over it.

alex
9/21/2009 5:25am,
Here is something that is mind buggling me, why the hell isnt JKD like the biggest martial art in the world, not only was it used and taught by one of the greatest martial artist and fighters but its actually and effective system (the whole be like water philosophy makes a lot of sense) so why isnt it as big as something like karate etc....

I just dont get it....we get shitty crap like community centre krav maga but no JKD clubs

idiot.

Bannik
9/21/2009 5:34am,
idiot.

ok.......thats nice too know....
Bruce Lee - Catch His Speed If U Can - Video (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/92068/bruce_lee_catch_his_speed_if_u_can/)

bruce lee goodness...

ps - anyone who doesnt like bruce lee is alex...alex means idiot...i think...

alex
9/21/2009 5:41am,
lee was an actor. and a **** one at that. what he did do well though was being someone in the right place at the right time and managed to get a lucrative gig making cheap movies for an audience that was ready to lap the **** up. dont get me wrong, i loved enter the dragon, but i also loved kung fu hustle.

Lee never did **** to anyone worth mentioning. he never fought anyone, and the only sparring on video is of him tippy tapping with some other guy wearing full body armour.

wiiire
9/21/2009 5:54am,
so why isnt it as big as something like karate etc....JKD is more a way of learning than a system.

What about JKD? Here's what: it sucks, get over it. Go read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do and inform yourself a little better. JKD is about taking on board anything useful... saying it sucks is like saying there is no inherent worth in any martial arts ;)

Lee never did **** to anyone worth mentioning. he never fought anyone, and the only sparring on video is of him tippy tapping with some other guy wearing full body armour.Maybe he didn't feel he needed to prove anything in that way? Why do you? I'm sure there are plenty of excellent fighters out there who don't feel the need to step into a ring...

The only fight you really need to take part in is the one you fight against yourself.

Nicko1
9/21/2009 6:02am,
Bannik, you might want to check out Matt Thornton at Straight Blast Gym. He is of particular relevance as he actually has JKD experience. Basically, as he genuinely applied Bruce Lee's principle of "take what works, discard what does not", Thornton ended up with something that looks suspiciously like modern MMA. I think Bruce would approve, I really do.

CrackFox
9/21/2009 6:08am,
Go read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do and inform yourself a little better. JKD is about taking on board anything useful... saying it sucks is like saying there is no inherent worth in any martial arts ;)

Read it already, wasn't impressed. Anyway my response was tailored to the OP's level, if he came on here saying that Muay Thai was the greatest because it's what Tony Jaa does, he'd get a similar response. (And I really, really like MT.)

CrackFox
9/21/2009 6:11am,
Maybe he didn't feel he needed to prove anything in that way? Why do you? I'm sure there are plenty of excellent fighters out there who don't feel the need to step into a ring...

He wasn't as good a fighter as John Wayne. How come there aren't any places where I can learn to fight like The Duke? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfiIQsX5bV0

CrackFox
9/21/2009 6:13am,
The only fight you really need to take part in is the one you fight against yourself.

Dude, seriously? Have some dignity.

wiiire
9/21/2009 6:17am,
Read it already, wasn't impressed. Anyway my response was tailored to the OP's level, if he came on here saying that Muay Thai was the greatest because it's what Tony Jaa does, he'd get a similar response. (And I really, really like MT.)
So you'd have said that MT sucks?

Dan Insonato seems to like MT too... and BJJ, in which he recently got a black belt.

That book is pretty good hard evidence that Bruce was ahead of his time in terms of his martial arts study. The guy was fanatic about it. I don't think you can attribute that to his desire to make films :/

wiiire
9/21/2009 6:19am,
Dude, seriously? Have some dignity.It's the truth :)

You talk about fighting as though it's the be all and end all to martial arts, when really self exploration and expression are.

Nicko1
9/21/2009 6:25am,
So you train to lose then? The most significant contribution Bruce Lee made to the martial arts was, as I said, to "take what works, discard what does not". Result of said philosophy: Modern MMA.

BTW, Lee closed his JKD schools, mainly because of students that didn't realise that this applied to his "style" as well.