PDA

View Full Version : just quit JJJ

CitizenErased
9/21/2009 4:25am,
Hey folks,

since finding this forum i've started going to Bjj (3 months in) and stopped going to JJJ (after a year). The reason being that at JJJ we hardly spar and when we do its from the knees (from which no techniques are taught), so its basically Bjj rolling wothout any real instruction. After various people telling me Bjj was more effective because of "alive" training, i finally had to agree after last weekend. i went to Bjj open mat in the morning, got a total beating for two hours but learned so much. Unfornuately came away with a busted ankle and a grade A black eye (pretty much my own fault though). Instead of doing the sensible thing and R.I.C.Eing my ankle i decided to go to JJJ that afternoon.

After running through my syllabus for my next belt at breakneck speed, we went for a little grappling. i got paired with a guy that had been given his blackbelt the week before. As they were few of us we decied to start from standing. knowing nothing of how to take down a resisting opponent, i went for a doubleleg (which i have never trained, and is a comment on my faith in the JJJ techinques). Ended up in the guys guard, broke a collar choke, passed guard to mount and got bridge/rolled to have him in my guard within 45 secs.

Then triangled him with ease.

MY BJJ BB instructor would have to be drunk and have had a stroke for me to even pass his guard.

There is no bragging here, i get my ass handed to me at BJJ, i'm a newb, i know **** all. The fact that i feel no sense of achievment from defeating a BB in the only competitive element we have means that i can't justify going back.
And, you know, i almost felt like i had cheated somehow.

JKDChick
9/21/2009 4:34am,
Hey, welcome to the dark side. Personally, I like JJJ a lot, but obviously training method trumps style.

MMAMickey
9/21/2009 5:11am,
Bjj rocks

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
9/21/2009 5:17am,
Welcome,

I had also that problem when training Hapkido (Korean Ju Jutsu) and Hoshinsul (Korean Goshin Jutsu), so I replaced them with Judo and Muay Thai (+some Krabi Krabong). Worked well for me.

Have fun on the site!

plasma
9/21/2009 6:44am,
Hey folks,

since finding this forum i've started going to Bjj (3 months in) and stopped going to JJJ (after a year). The reason being that at JJJ we hardly spar and when we do its from the knees (from which no techniques are taught), so its basically Bjj rolling wothout any real instruction. After various people telling me Bjj was more effective because of "alive" training, i finally had to agree after last weekend. i went to Bjj open mat in the morning, got a total beating for two hours but learned so much. Unfornuately came away with a busted ankle and a grade A black eye (pretty much my own fault though). Instead of doing the sensible thing and R.I.C.Eing my ankle i decided to go to JJJ that afternoon.

After running through my syllabus for my next belt at breakneck speed, we went for a little grappling. i got paired with a guy that had been given his blackbelt the week before. As they were few of us we decied to start from standing. knowing nothing of how to take down a resisting opponent, i went for a doubleleg (which i have never trained, and is a comment on my faith in the JJJ techinques). Ended up in the guys guard, broke a collar choke, passed guard to mount and got bridge/rolled to have him in my guard within 45 secs.

Then triangled him with ease.

MY BJJ BB instructor would have to be drunk and have had a stroke for me to even pass his guard.

There is no bragging here, i get my ass handed to me at BJJ, i'm a newb, i know **** all. The fact that i feel no sense of achievment from defeating a BB in the only competitive element we have means that i can't justify going back.
And, you know, i almost felt like i had cheated somehow.

I am surprised your JJJ school sparred BJJ style and not Judo style. Most JJJ I come across including the school I currently train at uses the Judo rule-set for randori as JJJ focuses more on throws and takedowns then the ground. What Ryu of JJJ were you doing?

CitizenErased
9/21/2009 6:48am,
I am surprised your JJJ school sparred BJJ style and not Judo style. Most JJJ I come across including the school I currently train at uses the Judo rule-set for randori as JJJ focuses more on throws and takedowns then the ground. What Ryu of JJJ were you doing?

If they did i'd stay as i want to know how to have a chance of being in a good position when we hit the ground in BJJ. i've been thinking of going to local Judo classes because of this. Its a WJJF club.

Eddie Hardon
9/21/2009 8:27am,
If they did i'd stay as i want to know how to have a chance of being in a good position when we hit the ground in BJJ. i've been thinking of going to local Judo classes because of this. Its a WJJF club.

Did I read it right? You broke his Collar Bone?

CitizenErased
9/21/2009 8:43am,
Did I read it right? You broke his Collar Bone?

No dude, collar choke. cross collar choke. If you do know how to break someones collar bone from within guard (without a hammer), do let me know. it may just come in useful one day.

Eddie Hardon
9/21/2009 9:14am,
No dude, collar choke. cross collar choke. If you do know how to break someones collar bone from within guard (without a hammer), do let me know. it may just come in useful one day.

Thank you. It's my eyesight that's the problem.

Out of curiosity where did you train WJJF? UK?

Mannetosen
9/21/2009 9:34am,
I'm experiencing more or less the same at the moment (if you exclude the BJJ-part, I hate living in the martially retarded country that is Norway). We spend a lot of time doing the compliant "curriculum" techniques with increasing resistance (which doesn't make that much of a difference, because I still know he's gonna throw some sort of looping haymaker at me anyways) and speed. We learn a lot of techniques I consider valid (the "standard" Judo throws like Tai Otoshi, Osoto Gari, Ogoshi, Uchi Mata, Te Guruma and the likes), but we also spend quite a lot of time doing (in my eyes) retarded wristlocks.

Our sparring varies wildly. We sometimes do isolated striking, we sometimes do judo randori, we sometimes do newaza, and we usually mix them up and spar all three ranges. Punches to the face, all sorts of takedowns and leg locks are all kosher. You could probably spar with leg kicks as well if your partner wants to. However, I feel we spend way too little time sparring, and way too much time grabbing wrists.

Well, I can't talk for every JJJ school, but we do quite a bit of newaza. We're still stuck with the whole "pin = win"-mentality, though.

CitizenErased
9/21/2009 10:46am,
Thank you. It's my eyesight that's the problem.

Out of curiosity where did you train WJJF? UK?

Yep UK.