PDA

View Full Version : krav maga

Pages : [1] 2

bigmikebrody
9/17/2009 7:46pm,
is this style good for real self defense . i have seen a few video clips of it an it seems like just wild punches an kicks anyone has any feed back please let me know

Sley
9/17/2009 9:22pm,
is this style good for real self defense . i have seen a few video clips of it an it seems like just wild punches an kicks anyone has any feed back please let me know

It varies in Quality, some is good some is really really really epically bad...

DdlR
9/17/2009 10:46pm,
I worked with a couple of professional KM instructors recently and would give them a big thumbs up, both as teachers and re. the "realism" of what they were doing. Some of it wasn't to my taste, but I'd recommend it to beginners who wanted solid, relatively short-term/high-percentage self defense training.

Permalost
9/18/2009 12:18am,
I agree with everything Ddlr said.

Carlos13th
9/18/2009 10:41am,
Its a good system if trained properly.

Nicko1
9/18/2009 11:40am,
Try this for an overview:
http://www.bullshido.org/Krav_Maga

2Many
9/18/2009 7:11pm,
Krav Maga is a martial tactic, more than a martial art. It's a handy thing to know for escaping from attackers. You don't need to win in order to survive an attack, you just need to survive, and good Krav Maga instruction will equip you with the mindset, tactics, and a set of techniques to enable you to do so.

But like most "reality" self defence systems, it's best taken with a good base skill-set (like boxing).

RandomTriangle
9/18/2009 9:52pm,
A good krav maga school will have a fight class/grappling program.

BlueHolocaust
9/20/2009 5:45pm,
I have come to the conclusion that with Krav, you need to be very careful with who you are learning it from.
In my opinion, look for an instructor who has a solid background in other arts such as kickboxing/boxing/muay thai, judo, bjj etc.
unfortunatly it would seem that all the bad blood for krav is coming from the fact that there are a lot of places you can tain for 3 weeks with no prior MA experience and become a fully qualified instructor.
Before you start paying to train somewhere, find out where they got their instructor qualification from and do some research into what experience was needed for them to obtain it.
There seem to be a lot of bad techniques being taught by krav instructors, but after a while of training with one, you will probably get a feel for whether or not what you are learning is worth learning, or just downright dangerous.
Also look for a class that pressure tests techniques and does some sparring.

After taking up MMA, i would definitely suggest cross training with some form of kickboxing, as that will greatly improve your striking techniques.

brianhuard
9/23/2009 1:22am,
I have come to the conclusion that with Krav, you need to be very careful with who you are learning it from.
In my opinion, look for an instructor who has a solid background in other arts such as kickboxing/boxing/muay thai, judo, bjj etc.

We have a Krav Maga by where I live, the instructor was a black belt in two other styles before incorporating Krav Maga.

He has "trimmed the fat" out of the other styles, eliminated ineffective strikes, and synthesized the Krav Maga he teaches to incorporate the best of 15 years of instruction.

Seems pretty legit, trains police, swat, etc.

That's always a good sign.... if the cops in your town train there, and they are kicking azz on the bad guys then the style must be good!

_V_
9/23/2009 10:23am,
Where a lot of the spotty quality comes from is the decision the KMWW folks in LA made to enter a "partnership" with the ATA TKD folks. They would let people come and take a course in LA and qualify them to tech the Level 1 curriculum. In my opinion, they should have been more careful with their material and not allowed many of these people to teach KM as an advertising gimick. There is just no way they could possibly hope to monitor the quality of instruction while spreading the system around so quickly.

Eudemic
9/23/2009 1:10pm,
Where a lot of the spotty quality comes from is the decision the KMWW folks in LA made to enter a "partnership" with the ATA TKD folks. They would let people come and take a course in LA and qualify them to tech the Level 1 curriculum. In my opinion, they should have been more careful with their material and not allowed many of these people to teach KM as an advertising gimick. There is just no way they could possibly hope to monitor the quality of instruction while spreading the system around so quickly.

Quoted for Truth

Krav Maga, when it comes from a competent, qualified instructor, is very good. (Cross-training is never a bad idea, though.)

cyrijl
9/23/2009 1:58pm,
We have a Krav Maga by where I live, the instructor was a black belt in two other styles before incorporating Krav Maga.

He has "trimmed the fat" out of the other styles, eliminated ineffective strikes, and synthesized the Krav Maga he teaches to incorporate the best of 15 years of instruction.

Seems pretty legit, trains police, swat, etc.

That's always a good sign.... if the cops in your town train there, and they are kicking azz on the bad guys then the style must be good!

Please do not use law enforcement as proof of martial effectiveness. They have guns, pepper spray, cars, batons and more importantly a radio.

That said, I like the time I put into Krav. We had full contact sparring and did some simple groundwork (escapes, arm bars).

brianhuard
9/23/2009 2:12pm,
Please do not use law enforcement as proof of martial effectiveness. They have guns, pepper spray, cars, batons and more importantly a radio.

Maybe you misunderstood. I was not trying to say "Krav Maga is kickass because law enforcement uses it" but rather "My local Krav Maga studio must have some credibility, local law enforcement trains there."

I think that endorsement of a particular local studio (not a system) is a vital piece of evidence.

These men need real world martial arts, the same as soldiers.

I mean, isn't the whole idea of Krav Maga military and law enforcement training, anti-terrorism?

PS the kicking azz part was semi humorous... However, here in Los Angeles and Riverside CA the bad guys do have semi automatic weapons, fully automatic weapons, rocket launchers, meth and pcp to deaden the pain, Humvees, Escalades, and more importantly Iphones with the latest 3G networks.

So if I was a cop I would look for real world martial arts, and there's obviously a group here where I live that believe Krav Maga is it. Not all train there, some at MMA Gyms, some at Ju Jitsu, etc...

It is Fake
9/23/2009 2:16pm,
You realize, you just backed up what he typed right?

No, it is not a valuable piece of evidence.

Maybe you misunderstood. I was not trying to say "Krav Maga is kickass because law enforcement uses it" but rather "My local Krav Maga studio must have some credibility, local law enforcement trains there."

I think that endorsement of a particular local studio (not a system) is a vital piece of evidence.

These men need real world martial arts, the same as soldiers.

I mean, isn't the whole idea of Krav Maga military and law enforcement training, anti-terrorism?

PS the kicking azz part was semi humorous... I am so tired of putting a lol ofter every post so as not to confuse.

OMG please stop.

brianhuard
9/23/2009 2:25pm,
No, it is not a valuable piece of evidence.

Please enlighten me as to why.

"No, it is not" is not a weak argument, it's actually no argument at all.