PDA

View Full Version : Kickbox And Muay thai

Pages : [1] 2

emre_mishima
9/11/2009 1:26pm,
In my past thread I've asked for improving my kicks.After that i've started kyokushinkai karate but that's not the point.I went a gym where muay thai is trained.And asked a question to the trainer just for investigation.I asked"what is the difference between m.t and kickbox".He replied me "there is no difference but only after 6 or 7 years of training kickbox you will able to train muay thai".I've made an internet search and haven't find anything about it(his answer not about k.box or m.thai).I've decided to ask it in here.What are the differences between them?Is he true?or :bsflag:

Matt Phillips
9/11/2009 2:01pm,
YouTube - Roufus vs Kietsongrit Round One (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7kb1aY4Af8)
YouTube - Roufus vs Kietsongrit Round 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akwHUBr3W6o)
YouTube - ROUFUS VS KIETSONGRIT - ROUND 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLejmqkQQ7U)
YouTube - ROUFUS VS KIETSONGRIT - ROUND 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R47v7S6-tfw)

emre_mishima
9/11/2009 3:31pm,
thanks for the vids.But not an answer to my other question.ok maybe i didn't ask it too open.If i want to take muay thai training should i train kickbox for 6 or 7 years?At the vids differences clearly be seen.More effective clinch game and more effective low kicks in muay thai, fists may be equal but when it comes to knee or elbow muay thai is the upper hand.Slow for kickbox but effective.Thanks for the vids again.

CrackFox
9/11/2009 4:02pm,
Short answer is that Muay Thai is a type of kick boxing. So if you go to a school that teaches kick boxing it could be any number of things that will involve kicking and punching. I've trained at a kick boxing place that was basically taekwondo without forms, I've been at another that was more hard contact and also allowed kicks to the legs. I've heard of a Lau Gar place that did something similar the TKD kickboxing place, and then there are other kung-fu places that train to compete in san shou, a form of kickboxing similar to MT, but with throws.

emre_mishima
9/11/2009 4:25pm,
thanks for this too.Don't think for offence Are you sure muay thai is a type of kickbox?Because what i've heard is opposite.Kickbox is generated from it.Also thanks for the advices i will investigate them sounds very cool.

CrackFox
9/11/2009 4:37pm,
Yes, Muay Thai is a form of kickboxing. It's a martial art where you kick and box - hence it's kickboxing. Thing is, I'm sure there are other forms of kickboxing that are derived from MT, and they may not have a proper name, so they just get called kickboxing. Does that make sense?

emre_mishima
9/11/2009 4:41pm,
ok i understand.

Viperdriver
9/11/2009 4:51pm,
MT is a form of kickboxing. Kickboxing generally only allows striking with hands and feet. MT strikes with hands and feet, but also allows elbows and knees. Additionally MT throws from the clinch. Leg kicks are legal in MT, but generally not in kickboxing. Neither usually allow any ground fighting. Essentially they are both striking arts, but MT is more robust in that it teaches striking from more angles and ranges.

As far as having to train in kickboxing for 6-7 years first, that isn't necessarily so. I'm sure you could find a school that would teach you without that. You would start right learning to use/defend against leg kicks, elbows, knees, and clinches. I doubt Thai kids study "kickboxing" before learning the MT way years later.

lmark09
9/12/2009 11:14am,
your allowed to knee and elbow in muay thia. in general diffrent techniquies are taught in muay thia. if you start muay thia youll be taught alot more stikes. go on youtube and watch fightquest muaythia and human weapon muay thia.

emre_mishima
9/12/2009 11:21am,
ok with my respects"muay thai"not the thia.I've watched all of the human weapon.I am questioning not the effectiveness nor the comparison them.Just asking differences and the guy in muay thai gym telling the truth.But you said the differences like the other mates said so thank you all.

Sang
9/12/2009 11:30am,
What?! Muay Thai is not a form of kickboxing. It's been around 100 times longer than kickboxing.

Stop messing with my lineage you bastards!

emre_mishima
9/12/2009 11:49am,
ok i think this is time for learning the answers.What about the questions Sang.I respect the other posters but your style is thai boxing.And i really want to hear the answers from you.

CrackFox
9/12/2009 11:51am,
What?! Muay Thai is not a form of kickboxing. It's been around 100 times longer than kickboxing.

Stop messing with my lineage you bastards!

I think most of the plants and animals around these days existed before we started classifying them. Does that mean that they are not plants and animals?

CrackFox
9/12/2009 11:55am,
ok i think this is time for learning the answers.What about the questions Sang.I respect the other posters but your style is thai boxing.And i really want to hear the answers from you.

My main styles are Muay Thai and Judo, it's just that at the moment I live in an area where all that's available is kids TKD. (I'm moving at the end of the month though. Yippee!)

emre_mishima
9/12/2009 12:03pm,
sorry mate i didn't know that.Thats awesome for you.I understood that you were using the term"kickbox" for the sports include kicking and boxing tecs for 1st class.

Sang
9/12/2009 12:03pm,
Muay Thai is so much more than kicking and punching. The only time you should be calling MT kickboxing is when you are talking to someone who has no clue about martial arts and when you say Judo they say "oh yeah, thats a type of karate'.

Kickboxing can be good, it can be crap too. Muay thai can be good and it can be crap. You don't need to learn one to learn the other but the skills are highly interchangeable. Depends completely on the school, link me the one with the instructor who told you that and i'll tell you if you should train there.