PDA

View Full Version : The Big Scary Musclebound Hothead Scenario

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

nitekatt2010
9/01/2009 7:15pm,
You are a lower level belt kung fu student. You are male, 5-8, 155lbs, good physical shape, a serious kung fu student.

So you and your date are in line at the movie theatre waiting to buy tickets and there is a 6ft2'' 195 lb muscular, loud drunk hothead in front of you. By accident because the line is long on a rainy night, you bump into the dude and you say, "sorry, excuse me sir." But Mr Hothead is amped up, turns around and starts shouting and pushing his fingers into your chest, and is in your strike zone. You are not sure if he will sucker punch you or what his intention is because he is big, strong and drunk. Uh-oh.

This guy is in attack mode and made the first contact. But how do we handle the situation? He is pushing you, pressing your danger buttons. Are you in offense or defense mode? No question, you are in possible danger of confrontation and injury.

The options; run, back down, or fight. Fear has set in on what this guy might be capable of. But one thing, he has no martial arts training, just using his size and being a hothead bully to get his way. But you and your date are out to have a good time, not get into a fight hopefully.

My take on it. If the guy is still pushing his fingers in your solar plexus and pain is setting in and anger is brewing. He has threatened you and possibly your date and although he has been drinking, he's crazy and becoming violent. Plus he's bigger and possibly much stronger, but his senses are blurred because of the drinking.

This exact scenario was demonstrated in class. Move #1. His fingers are in your chest and strike zone. Wrist lock, break his fingers with the left hand, move #2, hard right punch to throat, move #3 hard kick to the knee cap. Hopefully this thug is disabled, down and in pain. This defensive action should be applied in about 3-4 seconds max. He threatened your security with physical contact.

In this scenario, hesitating action against Mr Big could be deadly. But your action could prove fatal to Mr Big with the hard blow to the throat. Of course you could get into a boxing, sparring situation, but one full contact from Mr Big could break your nose or worse.

What is an alternative action to protect yourself from Mr Big in the scenario?

katt

Yoj
9/01/2009 7:17pm,
Buy him a beer

DKJr
9/01/2009 7:24pm,
Give him a hug!

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
9/01/2009 7:40pm,
Introduce him to Mr Smith and Mr Wesson.

M1K3
9/01/2009 8:09pm,
Nitekatt, I would tell him to go to Bullshido and read this thread. Even drunk he will be so depressed that he will kill himself immediately. Go thou and do likewise. :adios:

Vorpal
9/01/2009 8:41pm,
Your school sounds retarded.

Student
9/01/2009 9:06pm,
Your online at the movies and a drunk touches you and is yelling so you break his fingers, break his wrist, punch him in the throat and kick him in the knee cap - don't you think that might just be a bit of overkill for the situation??

Oh wait, you said you are a physically small lower level kung-fu student...I'd put my money on the drunk, sorry...

MBriefcase
9/01/2009 9:06pm,
So it's cool to go around breaking people's fingers for poking you in the chest in line for a movie?

nitekatt2010
9/01/2009 9:18pm,
Nitekatt, I would tell him to go to Bullshido and read this thread. Even drunk he will be so depressed that he will kill himself immediately. Go thou and do likewise. :adios:

Hehe, right on bro.

Rivington
9/01/2009 9:19pm,
Gongfu student? Really? If people went around snapping wrists and delivering throat strikes every time someone bumped into someone else and things got the tiniest bit heated in China, there wouldn't be any damn Chinese people anymore.

Anyway, the proper answer when dealing with a drunk is to say, "It wasn't me." Then point to the movie poster of Johnny Depp. "It was him!" Then go see the movie while the drunk headbutts the glass over the poster.

PS: I spit on your school, I spit on your lineage, and I look forward to digging up and skull-fucking the corpses of five thousand years of your shifu's ancestors.

CannibalCrowley
9/01/2009 9:28pm,
You don't need an alternative, watching you try the wristlock super combo would be entertaining for all.

Kintanon
9/01/2009 9:34pm,
I would back up and yell to the ever present police officer standing 12 feet away to come handle this prick.
Problem solved. Barring that, I would hug him as previously suggested, then duck under to the back, trip him and wait for security while holding him down.
And I weigh 145, and stand 5'7".

1point2
9/01/2009 9:35pm,
You forgot the fourth part of the combo. The most important part.

Hiding from the fucking cops that the owner of the movie theater called, who are coming to put your ass in jail for assault.

(See, the cops don't care that the big mean drunk touched your chest, or that after you grabbed his arm and kicked him in the shin and hurt your hand trying to punch him, he beat the ever-living bajeezus out of you...you escalated the situation...you're getting charged.)

nitekatt2010
9/01/2009 9:40pm,
Your online at the movies and a drunk touches you and is yelling so you break his fingers, break his wrist, punch him in the throat and kick him in the knee cap - don't you think that might just be a bit of overkill for the situation??

Oh wait, you said you are a physically small lower level kung-fu student...I'd put my money on the drunk, sorry...

And unfortunately, I'd have to agree with you and put my money on the drunk, but if you can't strike first and get away and the thug gets you in a choke hold and on the ground, then what?

Ok guys, if you faced with the thug scenario, what are you going to do, take a beating and possibly suffer brain damage, let the thug wail on you? What if you have no alternative, what if he is drunk and on PCP at the same time. Are you a good enough boxer to spar with him, if you are, go for it. All of you have not obviously read the scenario. The situation is not just pushing and shoving, it's building up to where your health is in serious danger with a big, drunk strong thug. Do you have enough training and skill to deal with it? What if there is no way out but fight? What if it happened after you first MA or self defense class? Why study self defense MA at all, especially if talking your way out of a potential disaster doesn't work.

What training are you getting in self defense when the odds are clearly not in your favor and you are smaller than the thug and he means to draw blood on ya?

When and if you meet up with the thug, and I certainly hope none of us faces the scenario for real, please let us know the outcome and if you are still standing and ok.

Guys, this is no joke, think about it, what would you do to protect yourself? You may have to break some fingers if that is the only way to save yourself, maybe not. You may be a good grappler, boxer/kick boxer, whatever. It's not a nice world out there, a lot of angry people that push people around.

But hey, if buying the dude a beer calms him down, I'll drink to that.

Seriously though, if you are attacked at night in an isolated parking lot getting in your car, in a elevator alone and you have some training, how will you react. You may have to break some fingers, strike the throat, kick the guy in the b.... to save yourself.

"Don't look for violence, it has enough eyes on you anyway"

Peace

katt

Erdrickgr
9/01/2009 9:41pm,
In this scenario, hesitating action against Mr Big could be deadly. But your action could prove fatal to Mr Big with the hard blow to the throat. Of course you could get into a boxing, sparring situation, but one full contact from Mr Big could break your nose or worse. What is an alternative action to protect yourself from Mr Big in the scenario?

Back away... slowly. Lol. Seriously though, I wouldn't consider a finger poke, or even a couple shoves, to be a legit reason for breaking his fingers and striking his throat. And something else to think about--I don't know that the police (or courts) would consider it a reasonable reaction either.

EDIT--Nevermind, I see someone already beat me to the punch on the police issue.

Rivington
9/01/2009 9:44pm,
PCP? Who the hell does PCP anymore, outside of the fevered imagination of gongfu pigeon-chests?